- advertisement -

Illness at school

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Ellen, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I hope you don't have to worry about illness at school but through an IM message a few days ago my son informed me he was really sick. Miraculously he managed to phone his endocrinologist, also took himself to the clinic, changed his site (after taking a shot), monitored his bg, managed to sip fluids and keep them down and ultimately ate solid food, manage a fever, aches etc. I'm not sure he really checked for ketones although it was suggested ;-). 2 days later he's sounding much better. I didn't sleep for two nights. I logged on one night at 3:50 a.m. and saw he had just logged off so I phoned him at 4:00 a.m. and then ordered some noodle soup bowls and perrier from Amazon.com to have delivered to him so he'll be more stocked up at school. The bags under my eyes are getting deeper and darker;) but thankfully my son is on the mend.

2. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Oh Ellen, this is one of my worst fears since Dean has not been sick like this since he's been diagnosed. I'm so sorry you and he have been through this. Sounds like you both have handled it so well!!! I'm taking notes!

{{{Hugs}}} and hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

3. Margaret O

Margaret O Approved members

Ellen,

This is so scary for us at home; not being able to watch over our kids. You should be very proud of how your DS handled the whole thing. Being sick, away from home is hard D or no D, but for him to take control the way he did sounds like he has truly taken ownership of his d-managment. He did the right thing to call the endo so they were on the alert too. I can only imagine your sleepless nights and desire to rush to his dorm to take care of him.

I am glad to hear he is feeling better.

Amazon delivers food???? I have to look into that :)

4. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

I'm very grateful for how well he handled it and while I could have focused on the negatives (ketones?), I reflected on the positive things he did which kept the communication open. It's amazing I still have a tongue after biting it all these years...but he's been receptive to talking since I didn't judge... just tried hard to validate how difficult it must have been to be sick on his own and how good he should feel about his self-care choices.

You would be amazed at what can be purchased at Amazon and it even offers free shipping over a certain dollar amount if it's from Amazon or from a separate vendor through Amazon. I did NOT opt for the overnight shipping which would have cost an additional $100 for $28 worth of soup.;)

Establishing the endocrinologist/patient relationship in the same city as the school prior to school starting, was one of the best decisions we made. Make sure the endo's phone number gets put in the child's cell phone, as well as any on-call endo phone number. Make sure too that your children carry their medical insurance card in their wallet at all times, as well as any prescription drug card they may have.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  5. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

We don't have an endo or family physician established yet at OSU. :eek:

6. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

7. PattyR

PattyR Approved members

Illness away at college means sleepless nights from the time you hear about it until it is all better.

We had a good internal medicine guy in the college town who communicated with our endo here in Dallas.

I hear you on the Keytone issue :eek:

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Also because of HIPAA regulations, if your child is over 18, the doctors/hospitals etc. cannot speak to you or share any results of tests without your adult child's written consent. That's another signature you'll want to put in place so the doctors and school clinic etc. can communicate with the parents directly.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007
  9. susanH

susanH Approved members

glad everything worked out for him ellen. i've not dealt with the stomach illness, dehydration is the big issue for me when there's a stomach flu involved. it is scary. the worst we've had to deal with on campus was a long drawn-out ear infection last year.

hope he's feeling completely well now.