- advertisement -

If your CWD is low before lunch?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mwills27, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

Hi Everyone!

Having a little conversation with my son's school about this issue.

My son is a high functioning Autistic and needs supervision but he has an Aide with him all day except for lunch.

My son is rarely low before lunch but in his plan (written by the school nurse) it says that if he is low at his lunch time test, they treat him with 15 g of fast acting sugar and then make him wait in the office with his Aide for 15 minutes to test again before he can go eat in the Cafeteria down stairs.

I want them to change the plan to say he may begin his meal after the first test and treatment and then test within 15 mins to ensure he's ok. I ask for this because it's not fair to totally disrupt his lunch routine when lunch time is only 25 mins long. He may in fact miss class after lunch due to the way the plan is currently written.

They have come back to me saying that there is inadequate supervision in the cafeteria to let him do that. I don't understand why the aide who has to stay with him in the office can't just go down with him since she has to wait with him anyway. In this school they can test anyplace they like.

What do you do with your child if they're low at lunch? Do you wait for a retest prior to starting lunch?

Maybe I'm completely wrong here.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son reduces the insulin given at the meal and eats his lunch.

3. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

My daughter is on NPH and Humalog right now so we don't dose for lunch, but if she is low within 30 minutes of a meal they treat it with 15 grams and then go pretty much to the meal. If we had time to retest in 15 minutes and it wasn't quite lunch time then they will. Otherwise her aide or I will go down there and have her check....if I happen to be there.

4. Mwills27

I forgot to mention that we automatically reduce his insulin when low.

5. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

We subtract 15 grams of CHO from his meal carb total if he's low before a meal.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We will either give 15g uncovered and then go right into eating, or deduct 15g from the calculation. Depending on how low, we will also shave off a bit more insulin too.

7. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

We had this problem last year, as my son's recess was BEFORE lunch. So, after playing hard for thirty minutes, would report into the nurses office low on more than a few occasions before lunch. If the low was not too bad (60-70), he would take a glucose tablet, bolus a bit less for lunch and be on his way to eat. If the numbers were lower, he would treat with glucose, go eat his lunch and then come back to the office AFTER eating to bolus (and after testing again). This seemed to work out fine.

I can understand you not wanting your son missing out on lunch/recess.

Stephanie, Mom to Jacob, age 11
    DX in 2005, currently on MDI (Humalog, Lantus)

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Mine will usually take 1 or 2 glucose tabs (4/8g carbs) and then bolus after he eats.

9. Mwills27

I'm really so happy to have all the replies. It makes me feel less crazy for asking the school to change this. I have since spoken to the nurse and she has a whole other reason for it than what the teachers were saying today.

"this is in order to ensure your son is not still low prior to eating his lunch" LOL :D

He wouldn't still be low if he got to eat his lunch! A little frustrating.

We'll see what our Doctor says, but right now it's neither here nor there, since it rarely happens.

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

If he's low before lunch he should treat with some glucose tabs and then have his lunch (with a reduced bolus). End of story. :)

11. Mwills27

Thanks Wilf, I wish I could put you on a conference call with the school.

I think they're being over protective. He's the first diabetic student they've ever had. What they need to realize is this life with D is a balancing act. Keeping him healthy and safe while at the same time trying to keep him as happy and normal feeling as possible.

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Exactly! :)

13. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

If my son is mildly low, they treat the low, bolus, and send him off to lunch. If it's a deeper low, they treat, give a reduced bolus, and send him to lunch. Either way, a recheck is done after lunch to make sure he came up to a good level.

Christine

14. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

If my daughter is low she will get a bit of juice or some candies to bring her up just a bit, then eat her lunch. Depending on how low the number is will determine how I figure to deduct the amount of carbs. Its usually around 10-15 carbs