- advertisement -

If your Child Checks in Class

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Sep 8, 2013.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

What do they do with the information? When we had Sophie's 504 meeting and everyone got all upset about her being able to test in class one question that came up was"what will she do with the information?"I said"act to correct a low,if she is low". If your child checks in class what is their routine if they have an out of range BG. Who do they notify,how? We want Sophie to spend less time in the nurse's office,right now if she is low it is at least 30 minutes out of class. When I brought up that fact the principal offered the"accommodation"of after school tutoring if she falls behind because of missing class due to BS issues,to me that seems more like a punishment.Having to stay even longer during her day because of what she is missing due to iabetes,especially since they are ignoring her legal right to check and treat anywhere on the school campus

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My daughter will call the nurse from the classroom if she is significantly low. If she is a manageable low, she will treat and jot it into a notebook and tell the nurse at lunch. If she is high, she will correct and advise the nurse.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter is allowed a phone in class - she sends a group text every time she tests in class - to me, to the nurse, and to Blue Loop.

It's a very simple text - like bg136 or bg65;c10

If the nurse wants to see her or give her more direction - she texts her back.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son had a chart to let him know what to do. He had no nurse, so the adult monitoring used the chart as well.

When really young (7-8), I had him test just so I knew what his sugar was doing.

5. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

My son has his cell, and texts me if he needs to act or if he is asking if he can have a large snack. He has a chart shows when he needs to contact me. (Below 80, over 250, other situations) Some actions he goes to the office, some he handles in the classroom.

6. shannong

shannong Approved members

My son tests in the classroom and calls for every bg test so that I can advise him what to do. Usually it just involves him entering the info into the pump and me verifying that the dose sounds correct. I may ask him to eat/treat a low or impending low. He has a phone in the classroom. The teacher has been directed however to help him treat a low.

7. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

When my son tests in class, either he or the teacher will call down to the nurse. If action is needed, she will direct them as to what to do.

Christine

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Treats lows or corrects highs.:)

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

To your first question - what does your daughter do at home? Does she check and treat independently of you? If not, is now the time for her to begin to manage more independently? What sort of relationship do you, and does she, have with the classroom teacher? Is the class over crowded? All these things will drive the discussion - maybe she can have a cheat sheet at school, maybe her D stuff can be kept in a particular corner in the classroom so the teacher will see if she's checking and they can either make eye contact or a thumbs up or down to communicate how she's doing.

Fact is 10 is young, not too young but young to be making dosing and treating decisions all on her own. That said, it's the age at which my dd began to track away from going to the nurse for everything and as school gets more complex they do need to be in the classroom as much as possible.

10. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

DD has an aide in her room, so she tells the aide.

DS does not. When he is below 70 or over 250, he tells his teacher and the office is notified. Anything in between 71 and 249, he handles.

11. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Same. Rarely went to the nurse's clinic 7th grade forward. Would sometimes text me (rarely even does that now that she's in high school).

12. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

At home she says her BS'Im 68,I'm going to take 2 glucose tabs now and in 15 minutes I'll have 2 cheese crackers..after those 2 crackers she will test again in 15 minutes". She hasn't been dxd a long as a lot of kids here,but she gets it,knows the routine and is really mature about it. We do want her to notify someone if she is high or low. We do not want her calculating insulin by herself(yet,that will come later).
    This is our thought process. This year in 5th grade we wanted her to begin checking her BS(she does check it herself now,but in the nurse's office now),hopefully before next year she will be pumping and can start calculating some of her carbs to give a bolus. In middle school we don't want her missing a decent portion of the class before lunch going to the nurse's office to do all D care. The middle school is huge and with her other issues it could easily take her 5 minutes each way to walk to the nurse,then check and prebolus. I think it is realistic to think it could take 15 minutes of a 50 minute class everyday. That is a lot of missed class. We wanted to slowly ease into more independence before middle school.

13. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Chris corrects his lows, but he can only correct highs at lunch. He logs his numbers so I can check them at home.

14. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hana is 12 and does all testing, correcting and treating in the classroom. She's in 7th grade. She stopped going to the nurse in 5th grade. Prior to that, she's checked in the classroom since 3rd grade and called her numbers in to the nurse. She was dx right before her 9th bday.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

No nurses in our schools, so DD just dealt with whatever reading she had on the meter (from diagnosis at age 10). If she was low she'd have tabs or a juice, if high then at first (age 10 and 11) she'd call home and we'd tell her how much insulin she was to give. Since age 12 she's given corrections as needed.

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

I think you have a good plan, for both now and the next few years.

I don't see any reason why a 10 year old can't know how many glucs to take if she's mildly low. :) I think letting the nurse know is fine, but for a run of the mill low, she could treat and get on with her life.

17. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

My son also has an aid in his class, so the aid is normally the one doing the testing. They follow the guidelines I gave them and they text me anytime they have questions.
    But when it comes to a low, I tell my son point blank, if you're not near you meter or if it's cumbersome to get to it, (like on the bus or recess) just treat yourself like you're low and tell someone when you have a chance. He carries sugar in his jeans pocket all day. (Makes laundry time a surprise mess quite often):)