- advertisement -

if you test in the middle of the night..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom24grlz, Apr 6, 2010.

1. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I read how a lot of you test your kids in the middle of the night. How old are your kids if you test? What makes you decide to test? Are they low at the bedtime reading or wake up low? I haven't tested Ashleigh in the middle of the night, but sometimes wonder if i should.

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

It depends on what her number is when I test at my bedtime or if she's had an active day or a higher fat snack (ice cream, etc).

3. Jilleighn

Jilleighn Approved members

My daughter is 2, but we will probably test for a VERy long time.

4. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Kayla is 6 and we have tested her every night at 2 a.m. since diagnosis, which has been a little over a year. We also test at 12 a.m. if her bed time number is questionable or we think she may go up or down too far due to type of food eaten or exercise. We have decided to be more aggressive with keeping her numbers in range and this works for us. Sometimes I feel obsesive about it, but if I didn't check I wouldn't sleep anyway, wondering where her sugar was and which way it was going. It is strickly a personal choice though, everyone is different and you have to do what works for your family!:)

5. MyBoys'Mom

MyBoys'Mom Approved members

I test every night between 1:30 and 2:30, depending on what time he's gone to bed. Every time I think about not testing at night, I change my mind. In the last week, I've encountered one 50 with active insulin (it was spring break and I gave him his snack and then went to bed myself - he never ate it) and one 399 with 0.6 ketones - I put emla on at 2 and did a 3am set change. The cannula had been kinked.

He's 11 now and I feel like I'll be testing him for some time. I also sleep better knowing that he's ok.

6. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven is 9 diagnosed at 3. We do test most nights but might miss a few. If we dont test and he wakes up high or low, Im always left wondering what happened the night before:confused: If I have a reading for early morning say 1 or 2AM I have some ideas. And if hes low at that time or high I can do something about it then to fix it and hopefully have a decent wake up #.

7. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Unpredictable numbers. If I don't test at night, he will usually wake up at 300 or 50 with no real predictability of which - if he was consistently low or high, it would be easy, but the pattern is no pattern.

If you usually wake up in range, then I say you should test occasionally at night, maybe once a week, to see if there are no surprises. You just might find that a night that is 120 and 100 actually has an uncaught 400 or a 40 in the middle. I firmly believe if you *never* check at night (as opposed to occasionally) then you are missing important information.

Alex is 7, and sleeps like a rock, so it doesn't bug him.

8. wilf

wilf Approved members

Do a few tests and see what you find. If she's always in range then for now no worries.

I test nightly, probably catch a low at least once every week doing that.

9. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I have been testing about 4 - 5 hours after he goes to bed. He is 14, diagnosed 12/26/09. Sometimes I feel the need to test if he has had an active day (it's spring break right now) or if he has had lower than normal numbers during the day (55 - 80); sometimes I feel to the need to test if he has a lower bedtime number 70 - 100 (he always has a snack); but mostly for peace of mind, so that I know he is "safe." Most times he doesnt remember that I was even in his room to check him.

10. MamaChrissa

MamaChrissa Approved members

Jason is 7. We have been doing "midnight pokes" since his diagnosis, at 4. We will likely continue for the foreseeable future. He rarely wakes up for them. We will correct of hes high or wake him up to treat if hes low. (about 80 or lower). A room temperature juice box does the trick and hes barely awake for a minute and goes right back to sleep. D doesn't sleep, so it needs to be watched during the night as well. :eek:

11. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I test every night at 2:00 am, generally. Sometimes more, depending on her going to bed number or what I discover at 2:00. Alexandra is 9, and she was dx in June 2008.

12. 2boysmom

2boysmom Approved members

My son is four and we test him every night at midnight and 3 a.m. More often if his numbers are wacky. I don't see that changing, I have caught too many lows at night to sleep well without doing it.

13. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Please remember that this is a very individual decision so try not to compare what you decide to do against what others here do. You need to do what makes sense for you, your child and the rest of your family.

My daughter is 11 and I have checked her multiple times every single night since she was dx and I plan on doing it until I don't need to anymore. My rational is that it allows me to catch and correct highs, and also to catch and treat potentially serious lows. Checking once at bedtime and then upon waking can, in my opinion, give a false sense of bg level.

I would not let her go 8-10 hours during the day without checking so why would I at night? I don't mind sacrificing my own sleep to do this. She is going to have to manage this the rest of her life, so if I can help out now I will happily do it.

14. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I always test. I usually test every 3-4 hours so I do it probably twice a night. I have caught many highs and some lows both. If she has a 60 number and she is steady, I will do the temp basal (like 97% for 1-2 hours). That brings her up nicely without having to give juice. I would not be able to go all night without testing or looking at her CGM. I wouldn't be able to sleep so I might as well get up and look.

15. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

There is no right or wrong way to handle this situation. Do what works for your family. You are doing nothing wrong if you do not test in the middle of the night. Diabetes is not a one size fits all disease. I check my son when he goes to bed and then again when I go to bed, which is around midnight. I adjust what needs to be adjusted, correct a high, treat a low (or impending low..I know where his numbers need to be at that time of night) or do nothing. He is not checked again until around 7am when my husband gets up for work. This works for us. We have great a1c's, so no need to change it around now.

16. Our3girls

Our3girls Approved members

We have been doing this for almost 4 months now and at first if she went to bed at 130-170 she would wake up 80-100. At about 1-2 months that all changed, I think it is part of the honeymoon thing. Now she is often higher when we put her to bed and low in the morning I frequently (3-5 days a week) have to treat a mild low at night but it could have been a really low low if we had not caught it. She is a VERY sound sleeper and would not wake up if she dropped, it scares me awake :) Something else we do, when her numbers have been good all day, she checks at 8 when she goes to be and then I check at 10 or 11 when I go to bed and I can see what direction she has gone and go from there if I am exhausted and feel comfortable with it I may not get up at 2 but I get up at 4:30 to get ready for work so I check her then. You quickly find your "groove" and what you are comfortable with!!

17. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

We test just about every night. Started since dx when he was a baby so now we are just used to it. He's now 5. The general rule of thumb is that if you get up to go to the bathroom, test him. One of us does that everynight and now with the newborn, we definitely are up! If I wake up in the middle of the night and don't get out of bed to check him, I can't fall back asleep...I keep wondering what his number is :eek: so I just check.

18. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

Right now, we test every 3 hours overnight. He's been having really screwy numbers for about 3 weeks now.

Before that, when he was pretty consistent, we would check at 11:00 befor ewe went to bed, and then once around 2-3am. I don't know that we'll ever stop doing it - we're going to encourage a live in girlfriend at an early age so we can get some sleep :D

19. rare

rare Approved members

I only test if he goes to bed high or if I think he might go low. I used to rarely test overnight when he was on MDI because he was fairly predictable. Since pumping and puberty that all went out the window. Testing during the night is optional. :)

That's a great idea. I may have to try that.

20. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

my daughter is 14
    I test her at my bedtime

extra checks at 12am and 2am :

* If I increase insulin
    * higher activity during the day - swimming, running, biking, and even for gym class- low Bg -can happen 8 hours later.
    * Illness
    * high fat meals like Ice cream or Pizza
    * menses
    *periods of growth -
    * when in doubt ..always check