- advertisement -

If you could name a Children's Home for those with diabetes...

Discussion in 'Teens' started by ethical_erin, May 18, 2009.

1. ethical_erin

ethical_erin Approved members

Hello all, and thanks for reading! I would like some teenager input on this subject. --> Imagine there was a home for diabetic children and teens who need a safe and secure place to stay. The home would be a welcome haven for any child with diabetes who needed this place to call his or her own. Those who lived there would possibly be foster children or those with rough or very unstable homelives which made diabetes control next to impossible. What would be a good name for this home? Also, as a diabetic and a teen, what do you think would be important to consider, have, remember, or emphasize? What would you want to make sure would be part of this house? Please give me your input as it is truly valuable to me. Thanks for enhancing the vision with me. :)

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Wow, I hope that such a place can become a reality.

Anyhow, I think that if you're talking about teens, cutesy names and obvious names might not be the greatest ideas. How about naming it after Banting and/or Best? Or maybe some high acheiving diabetic? That way it has the identity thing, but if they don't want their friends to know from where they live that they live in a diabetics' house, saying, "I live at the Banting house" won't give it away.

I think my wants aren't necessarily what the kids who'd live there would want and that they should come up with most of the ideas for the house.

3. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

That sounds really awesome. And although I don't really have any real ideas, I agree 100% with Jonah. Don't make diabetes part of the name, because a lot of kids/teens are secretive about their D with others at first, until they can trust that person. But I wouldn't name it after someone like Mary Tyler Moore though because that just gives it away. I like the idea of a Banting or Best house. Most diabetics know about them, but the nonD's don't :D.

4. ethical_erin

Your help is great!

Thank you both for your comments. I appreciate your input and hope to get more from others. If anything else comes to your heart or mind, please don't hesitate to share! :)

5. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

i'm low right now, but when i have time i will definitely be coming back and sharing, i think this is a wonderful idea :D!

6. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I like the Banting / Best idea... or what about something like the High/Low house?:rolleyes:

7. meg:]

meg:] Approved members

howa bout sugar free?

like get it... if you live there you are "free" because you have control and stuff? im not sure if thats good:eek: but it was the first thing i thought of

hope I helped:)

8. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

Banting and Best are good, i'm a huge Nick Jonas 'dork' :eek: so i'm going to have to put the idea out there for Jonas House or something like that......
    just something not weird or dorky:p
    would this house be built for this purpose or a house found for it? that would great influence what could be done with it;).
    i think that housing the diabetes supplies should be a top priority. do you want to have communal stash or will each child/teen have their own stuff? if communal i would put it all in one room, preferably one with a table and ideally a sink. if individual, i'd say either try to add/build in cabinets next to the beds or maybe some sort of non-see-though drawers(try not to let this stuff get in the way or take up living space, this will drive most kids crazy to no end, especially newbies(< 3 ish)).
    will the kids be keeping lancets and other sharp D devices? ground rules will be needed, punishment layed out and somewhere to keep the lancets, meters, etc(ie stuff for checking bg and treating lows), preferably in the bedrooms. if you could find a drawer divider that had the right sized holes that would probably work great, you could put it in the top drawer of the bedside table(with locks? don't know if i'm going over board here, but safety with that much blood involved should be first....).
    tv, deffenatly, a stock of dvds and video games(most kids i know love them. me, i've never really been that into them, our house is devoid of all that stuff by choice, but most kids would probably love it), a small tv for the video games so that the other tv will actually be watched.
    ikea might be a good place to shop for furnature and bedding and such, they seem to have really good stuff. or maybe see if you can find a company to underwrite some stuff. like all the bedding, or one room or something:cool:.

wow, long post, i guess i went a little nuts! i think this is a great idea, though and i hope you'll keep us(me:p) updated on this project!!

9. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

One thing I think would be good is if every kid got to choose their own meter and stuff instead of everybody having the same, because different stuff works for different people. I was think about that the other night, mainly about pumps, but it works with a lot of D stuff.

10. ethical_erin

Good Thoughts!

I agree with you about safety, and your mind is thinking like mine...communal vs. individual supplies. The house has not been built yet. I do have land already purchased that we are considering using, but I have to dig deeper into our subdivision covenant to be sure all is well there (laws/rules for those who live there). Thanks for your thoughts!

11. PaulGillingham

PaulGillingham New Member

PALINGSWICK hOUSE

I have been Type1 since 1960 and had terrible trouble accepting the changes that I had to make. Back then there was very little help available. I was sent to a childrens home for diabetic kids in 1962 and can safely say had I not gone there I would not be around now let alone nearing 50yrs with diaetes. Palingswick House was the homes name there were about 60 children there both boys and girls. We lived there throughout term time and went to an ordinary school everyday. We could go home for weekends and school holidays. It was in Hammersmith, London, England. Sadly it closed through lack of funding in the early 70's. Such a hvaen is a must for children with diabetes not as a live in one neccessarily but certainly as a place to go to to learn and cope with a condition that is normally easily controable oce accepted. Still today there appears litlle help available regardng acceptance and living with early onset type1. So maybe it is up to diabetics themselves tohelp each other and impart their own knowledge to help the kids

12. NoMoreShots

NoMoreShots Approved members

Im not sure about the name but for things to have is obvious. Just children and teenager things:TV, computers, games, fun things, etc. I would also have caring people there too. If a child hasn't had any support with diabetes, there should be an adult there for that child so they feel secure. You would also need lots of D supplies. I like the idea about picking your own meter. Maybe a theraist/psychiatrist there incase anyone needs to talk to someone.