- advertisement -

If you change ins companies can you get a new pump?

Discussion in 'Insulin Pumps' started by datoney, Nov 6, 2011.

1. datoney

datoney Approved members

So my question is, if you change ins companies can you get a new pump within that 5 year window? Or day they require you to fess up and tell them that you already have a pump?

2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Never hurts to ask does it? Since almost everyone uses insurance to pay for their pump, and often the supplies as well, it's standard procedure for the pump company to clear the insurance before providing the pump. So it's not like they would end up billing you for a new pump if it wasn't covered.
    And for many, it is a magic 4 years, not 5.

3. datoney

datoney Approved members

Good to know

Yes, what I was thinking was trying the Medtronic Minimed pump in comparison to the Animas pump that my daughter has now, so it would be a diff company all together.

4. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

Typically not, since your pump is still under warranty. You could check, though.

5. datoney

datoney Approved members

cont...

So, if you change insurance companies and pump company, your new insurance company can find out if you had a pump with another insrance company and pump company?

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I remember someone awhile ago posting they had changed insurance companies and got a new pump even though theirs was only a year or two old (or less than usual 4-5 years). I just remember it cause I thought it was interesting.

I'd think the new insurance would start a new clock with getting a pump. I don't know how they'd know your pump details or could require you to wait until the warranty is up. Of course your employer generally pays most of the insurance cost so I suppose there could be some rules there.

What's to stop you from bouncing around insurance companies to get a new pump every few years if your company is that big to have several choices?

7. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

I believe there is a medical information data base, kind of like your credit report, and it has your insurance claim information the next company can get? Anyone else hear of that?

So maybe the next ins. company would know all your secrets!!

8. jules12

jules12 Approved members

Our insurance company won't automatically replace his pump in 4 years. It must be broken or have a medical reason why we need a new pump. Bottomline is you can always have it submitted to see...just don't approve the pump to be shipped unless insurance covers it.

9. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

You may want to check your policy, ours (United) allows a new pump every 3 years My friend's United policy was same way. While on Aetna we also got a pump after three years because endo wrote we need the smaller basal of the new one.

10. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I realize that the plural of anecdote is not data, but I do know someone who changed insurance companies and the new company paid for a pump even though the old pump was not out of warranty.

11. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

I think this is just going to be insurance company specific. I was reading our policy documentation for open season and found the form our Endo has to submit. It specifically asks if you are asking for a first time pump, a different pump for medically necessary reasons (smaller basal increments), or if your current pump is out of warranty, broken and economically not refurbishable.

So no my insurance would not allow you to get a new pump.

12. Yasmine

Yasmine New Member

New insulin pump

Yes, they would find out. Insurance companies contact us all the time and ask for the patient's medical information concerning specific illnesses. Also if you are going to have a new insurance company usually they do not cover pre-existing illness for so many years depending on the contract and provider.

When your doctor or diabetic professional fill out the paperwork for medical necessarity, they will figure it out. It is best to ask your insurance company what their practice is before trying for a new one instead of trying to conceal any information, otherwise you would be committing insurance fraud if you are trying to conceal the information.