- advertisement -

If you are a Podder, do you have an extra PDM for backup?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dqmomof3, May 15, 2011.

1. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

I can't help but wonder if at some point Jayden isn't going to lose this PDM. If you are an Omnipod user, did you go ahead and purchase an extra PDM to keep as backup? If so, how much did it cost?

Thanks!

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We do. When we bought it, a backup was $300. Just keep in mind, if a PDM fails then the pod will continue on its basal program until the pod expires, but the pod can not be accessed during this time for boluses or program changes. So unless you carry spare pods, having a spare PDM with you won't be of much help.

3. alismom

alismom Approved members

We have a back-up pdm. $300.

4. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

We don't have an extra PDM, but we insure ours under a rider policy for about $7.00 or $8.00 a month in case he does lose it.
    Leslie

5. dqmomof3

Thanks for that piece of info, Darryl. Where do you find are Leah's favorite places to wear the pod? Does she do the backs of her arms?

6. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

We don't have a back up. I'm hoping its like her meter and she'd never loose it. ;)

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

We bought a backup of the previous revision - I think it was $300 then as well. I can't remember if we had to turn in our old PDM to get the new version - so, I might have 2 backups.

8. dqmomof3

I'm going to wait a month or so, I think, to be sure Jayden stays on board with the pod and doesn't want to go back to the MM. Then I'll see about getting another one.

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Omnipod is coming to Canada very soon and I thought I would give it a try. But this is my biggest fear - we have already been through three cell phones since dx and when we were using the CGM on our MM pump prior to our pump start he actually mislaid the pump (left it on a soccer field in the rain). I can't really blame him - he didn't get his talent for losing things from his father - the apple doesn't fall far from the tree as they say:(.

10. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

We don't have a backup, but we only live about 2 - 2.5 hours from them anyways. In a worst case scenario, we'll drive down and get one. As Daryl said, the basal keeps going, so we could get by with shots for bolusing until we got to pick one up.

11. manda81

manda81 Approved members

We do not have a backup. We've had one PDM failure, and they overnighted us a new one.

We've considered getting a back up this summer, still not sure about that yet.

Replacement/backup PDMs are $500 now, according to our rep.

12. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

We have an old style PDM for a backup.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We don't have a backup but she did loose hers once, actually we're not sure if she lost it or it was stolen. Anyway the replacement was $500 and they overnight-ed it. We just did shots till the replacement came. She was out of town on a trip but it worked out fine.

We're going on a cruise this summer so no way to easily get a replacement if needed. We're just going to bring her back up lantus etc and we'll just switch to shots should she loose it or if it malfunctions.

It just doesn't seem worth the extra expense for me when we can just switch to shots until we get a replacement.

14. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We did have a backup PDM, but never really used it. If the in-use PDM died on us (which it has), they usually overnight us a new one before the pod on him even expired.

The old PDM screen broke this year so we had to toss it.

15. arogers

arogers Approved members

We have an old style PDM we use as the backup. In almost 4 years of "podding" we've never lost the PDM....knock on wood. We did have to use the back up when a weird pod alarm disabled the pod. Had to apply the new pod with the old PDM. I feel much better having it, just in case.

Arogers
    Mom to 3 boys
    15, 12 (DX 3/07 OmniPod 10/07) and 8

16. caspi

caspi Approved members

We also have the old style PDM as a backup.

17. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

No, we don't have a backup. I just assumed if there was an issue, we would do shots until the new one arrived - which i"m assuming is pretty much overnight (unless it is a weekend?).

18. taximom

taximom Approved members

I think we have 2 old style PDM's for back-up (bought the back-up in the beginning and now have the newer style PDM).

We have never lost a PDM, but did have a total PDM failure (a few years ago). So it was nice to have the back-up.

19. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

yes - we have the older model pdm - and have had to use it!

20. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son is not using the pod, but I would definitely buy one if he did. We have always had a backup pump since he started pumping (Disetronic came with two pumps). After all these years, there no reason for him to go back on long acting insulin even for a day.

Last edited: May 16, 2011