- advertisement -

If I ever try to give advice on how to deal with a dad...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by shekov, Jan 9, 2010.

1. shekov

shekov Approved members

have me read this.

I jsut got home from work and found our kids are next door atht he neighbors.

Saw the test kit on the counter so checked dd's #s for the day.

I checked her before I left....124. good
    She was checked at 10 am and was 109. Great
    next check was at 2 pm 66.

That's it.

I asked dh "So she was only checked twice in 11 hours?"

He responded " oh yeah. We should check her when she gets home."

I'm losing my mind.

Then he asks me in a snotty tone..do you want me to call and have them test her?

To which I have to respond..She doesn't even have her test kit!

Now I'm too mad to talk and have to go pick her up

My only consolation is that these are our D neighbors and she's probably getting better care there than she did here all day.!!!!

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

:( I'm sorry! We really need to have the support of our spouses or parents to our D children. It's hard to feel like if YOU don't take care of her, it will not be done right. I'm sorry and I hope that he will see the need for better care. You probably do such a great job taking care of her that he just hasn't caught on to everything.

((hugs!))

3. shekov

shekov Approved members

Just an unusually BAD BAD BAD day.

I'm not happy!

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

You didn't say how often your daughter is usually tested.

It looks like your hubby was testing every 4 hours or so and she was due to be tested again.

You must typically test more often than every 4 hours. Your hubby doesn't seem to think she needs to be tested that often.

5. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

Yes a support group would be a good idea. Sorry you are having a bad day...I am having a string of those lately as well.

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

Well, the problem with that is the low at 2:00. If she wasn't rechecked and then sent to the neighbor's house to play how can anybody be comfortable with that? And then she was probably playing harder there than at home and she didn't have her meter with her to even be checked. She's only four so probably not dependable to signal her lows. I would be angry too.

7. Boo

Boo Approved members

To be very honest, we rarely recheck lows at our house. The only time I really do it is if I get we get a really low reading (like 40 or less). I don't want to encourage bad habits. I admit rechecking is probably the right thing to do in most cases. But our old endo was pretty adamant about not checking too often and creating burnout.

"There is more than one way to skin a cat" as they say. I test my son more often then his dad would. It bothered me a lot at first, but after nearly 6 years, I am okay with it. I know my husband cares too, and they manage fine when I am not around.

I still give constant "gentle reminders" to them both anyways.