- advertisement -

Ideas needed for protein snacks and storage of jelly beans

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by liasmommy2000, Aug 28, 2011.

1. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Lia is going to be in middle school now and doing most of her own care now. She will be doing it in class unless she feels she needs more assistance. Her meter, glucagon, etc will all be carried in a purse with her

She needs to be able to carry a protein snack with her for those times when she needs more than just quick sugar to tide her over until the next meal. BUT she can't carry anything with peanuts or tree nuts. Not because of the school but because my nephew is allergic to tree nuts and she is around him a lot (my sister may at times pick her up from school etc). He is NOT allergic to peanuts, JUST tree nuts according to several allergy tests but my sister is paranoid and won't let him be around peanuts anyway. So peanut butter crackers are out. Cheese can't be carried around and I'm stuck trying to think of anything else. I guess I can leave packages of p.b. crackers with her teachers but she will also be on the school bus for the first time ever going between the middle school and the building with the before and after school program so I'd like something that she will have with her then.

Can anyone think of anything with protein that will work and is fairly small? All I can come up with is jerky and that's just protein and well, the thought of her eating it on any kind of regular basis makes me wince. Really she shouldn't need this that often but I do want her to have it.

Also she hates glucose tabs and her new purse won't fit several juice boxes. Besides I'm trying to get her off of juice boxes as I'd like something with fewer carbs as too often she doesn't need 15 grams but in her haste she sucks it all down. So we decided to try jelly beans. But again I don't want one big container as she will eat too many when she's low so I'd like to portion them into smaller containers. But I'm wondering what kind of containers to use that are small enough that she can carry a few at a time. She will have a roll of glucose tabs as back up but trust me when I say she has to be feeling REALLY badly before she will eat them.

This is the bag we got her. It hasn't arrived yet.

http://www.ebags.com/product/lespor...nid=55583734&gclid=CI_J46mc8qoCFUNrKgod01bBOg

2. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Could you put the jelly beans in empty test strip canisters? They're small enough to carry a few but still hold enough jelly beans :)

3. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

For the protein snacks, what about the cheese & cracker packs or the cereal bars? I second the suggestion of the strip containers for the jellybeans.

4. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

How about Tic Tac containers for the jelly beans?

5. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

What about things like Lara/LUNA or other protein bars? Cereal bars? They also make a cracker and cheese packaged thing, like the PB crackers but with cheese.

I hold onto strip containers and those little tic/tac or tiny M&M containers, those make good small containers that might work.

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Sweet Tarts, individually wrapped Life Savers, Starbursts and skittles all come in small pre-packaged containers. Might be easier than jelly beans.

7. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

8. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

This! Those empty test strip canisters are perfect! Holds enough and they don't get smushed.

PS I know it's off topic but my daughter has started keeping my son's empty strip canisters to use in case one of her contacts falls out when she is out and about.

9. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Its been posted here may times that the test strip containers may not be food safe as they were not manufactured for food storage and contain preservatives to keep strips fresh..

10. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Oh I didn't see that and had no idea. Thanks for posting that!

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

I'm not sure how many carbs there are in a jelly bean, since we don't use candy to treat lows (yet!), but I would imagine test strip containers (if they are safe) and tic tac containers are too small. My vote is for glucose tab containers.

12. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Thanks for the thoughts.

I had heard before not to use test strip containers for food. I did NOT know not to put more strips in one container. I will do that when one is getting low, just add the remaining to a new container. Oops!

I've gotten all sorts of ideas from here and another site. All sorts of good ones. She hates Skittles so those are out. She's not much of a fan of non-chocolate candy but loves Jelly Bellys so we're going to try those.

I didn't know if cereal bars or the cheese crackers had enough protein. I'll look into the protein bars and see if I can find any nut free ones.

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We use smarties (6 g per roll). As for jelly beans, I'd just use an old glucose container. Plus, the remaining sugar would probably keep them from sticking if they got warm (have you ever seen melted jelly beans? What a mess!).
    For the protein snack, how about the pre made cheese and crackers (like the pb ones)?

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I was looking for something to put corn candy in for when my granddaughter is here and wants a snack. If I just leave them all in one container, she eats too many. While at Walmart this weekend, I saw some disposable pill pouches which are just the right size. There were 50 pouches in a package for $1.38. I didn't think the price was bad so bought some to use for this and for my pills when I travel. They were in the Health and beauty department.

15. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I vote for Slim Jims! I love those things. DD hates them--she said it's the worst thing she ever tasted and that it tastes like vomit! I could eat a whole box. :D

16. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I would put the jelly beans in a glucose tab tube and label the carbs per jelly bean or other information your DC may need.

We have Keebler cheese and cracker sandwiches -- the kind that come in a pack of 6. Each sandwich has 4 g. carb and 1/2 g. protein -- so 24 g. carb and 3 g. protein for all sick. I find these pretty handy, but they can get kind of crushed after a while.

Kashi makes some snack bars that have a bit more protein -- the GoLean chocolate pretzel bars have 8 g. protein in one bar. Some of the granola bars have 5-6 g. protein per bar.

17. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

i was going to suggest the same thing!:D

18. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

My oldest non-D child has a life-threatening peanut allergy, so we are very familiar with finding peanut and tree-free snacks.

Enjoy Life foods makes allergen-free trail mix that can be purchased in many grocery stores

Keebler has cheese and cracker packets that you can use and have no peanut or tree nuts.

http://www.peanutfreeplanet.com is a great website for snacks - jelly beans are available in snack sizes at 89 cents/pack.

Good luck!

19. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Thank you so much for posting that website! We have a child in Grant's class with a peanut allergy, so this helps me know what I can pack for his lunch and parties.

20. Momto3

Momto3 Approved members

You're very welcome!