- advertisement -

Icecream Anyone?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, May 4, 2009.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Can someone please recommend a icecream with low carbs other then popcicles? Alot of the "cool" popcicles are high in sugar and carbs like the cartoon character ones i have seen.
    Thanks!
    Michelle

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Breyers makes a "Carb Smart" ice cream that we use at home when I don't feel like dealing with an ice cream spike.

3. Sari

Sari Approved members

we have been finding mini ice cream sandwiches lately that are yummy - 14g each.

4. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

We get Breyers Carb Smart too. They also make fudge bars and ice cream suckers.

5. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

skinny cow is good
    Pretty much anything with low fat.
    Word of caution though, avoid sugar alcohols. Besides the laxative effect, they are tricky. I think we were told that if we do eat sugar alcohols, to divide them by 2 and subtract from total carbs

6. candise

candise Approved members

We love ice cream. Mini ice cream sandwiches are great 14g. Skinny dippers- mint or vanilla choc. dipped ice cream bars are 11g. sugar free creamsicles 5g, no sugar added fudgesicles 10g. Breyers naturals vanilla ice cream14g for 1/2cup. Yes all this and more are in my freezer- my daughter prefers ice cream for a before bedtime snack. We also have found mini drumsticks before that were great

7. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

My son loves the little ice cream cups, 11g per cup

8. PokesforLife

PokesforLife Approved members

My 13 yr. old settled on vanilla ice cream and sugar free-low sugar toppings of all kinds!!! Syrups, sprinkles, whip cream....on and on!!!

9. mamort

mamort Approved members

my son loves Dibbs (mint flavored) I usually weigh them but on the container I believe you can get 26 for 30 carbs. I usually give him half of that and weigh, considering mint is his favorite these work well. We have also used the Carb smart bars. My daughter likes the Island way sorbets. They have a bunch of different flavors and range between 14-18 carbs. We get them at costco.(she does not like icecream) I don't know how that is even possible.

10. Jake'sMama

Jake'sMama Approved members

2nd this!!

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie loves those, until I looked at the sat fat content :eek: Check it out, it's shocking. But I have noticed in my shopping for foods for Maddie it isn't the first time I've looked at carbs and totally missed the rest of the nutritional info.:eek:

12. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

13. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Have to agree about Breyers Carb smart...:) I love it more when it goes on sale ...

14. mamort

mamort Approved members

Oh man, I so have not looked at the sat fat. Dang it. It's the best thing we have have mint flavored so far, any other suggestions for mint????

15. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I know! It stinks!

We just started buying the Skinny Cow pops, called Dippers. I think they have a mint with chocolate coating ...

Now we know why the Dibbs tasted so very good:eek:

16. andeefig

andeefig Approved members

We do the Hoodsie ice cream cups 12g. We have better luck with soft serve vs. regular ice cream.

17. mamort

mamort Approved members

looks like I'll be trying the skinny cow dippers. Thanks for the head up:D

18. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I can't tell you how many times I've bought something and been really pleased with the carb count only to look at the whole nutritional label at some later date and do a giant OMG!:eek: when I finally read the fat or cal numbers. It's a job and a half to get it all right.:cwds:

19. Corinne Masur

Corinne Masur Approved members

A while back a mom of a little one suggested making "ice cream cones" with small cones and chocolate flavored Rediwhip (which is low calorie, low fat and low carb) - I thought this was a great idea!!! I also let my son put Rediwhip on fruit and in his hot chocolate - it's so good and has nothing bad for him in it!

Corinne
    www.diabetesmother.blogspot.com