- advertisement -

Ice Hockey Camps for kids

Discussion in 'Sports and Athletics' started by Rick Murcek, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Rick Murcek

Rick Murcek New Member

My son, Grant, is 9 and plays goalie. Hockey is his passion. I have searched high and low for a hockey camp that is "friendly" to diabetic kids and am convinced one does not exist.

We live in Omaha, NE and have a NCAA D1 hockey team here. Ironically, the Univ. of Nebraska - Omaha Mavericks have two players with type 1 diabetes. The coach runs a handful of summer hockey camps in town. I am going to approach him to see if he is open to making these camps "friendly to young hockey players with diabetes." I am willing to take the time to organize the appropriate resources and take a week off work to attend the camp to oversee things.

If you have a young hockey player that happens to have diabetes and would be interested in attending such a camp, please email me at rick.murcek@yahoo.com.

2. otisdaddy

otisdaddy New Member

Former Professional Ice Hockey Player

Rick,

I am a former player for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (now Anaheim Ducks). I have been a diabetic since the age of 8. I am not aware of any camps "friendly to young hockey players with diabetes," but I can provide some help on all of the trials and tribulations I have been through with my athletic career with diabetes.

Scott McKay

3. Hockeygirl

Hockeygirl Approved members

I am looking for a hockey camp. But looking for ideas to help my son out while playing hockey. He is 15, He was diagnosed in Sept. of 07. Problem is he is going ski high during and aft. the game. In the 400's. What did you do b4 games? Where did you try to be at with your bg b4 the game? Did you check btwn periods? Thanks so much for any help.
    Amy

4. skimom

skimom Approved members

Hi Amy
    I too have two diabetic kids - both now on pumps. My daughter has exercise induced hyperglycemia(figure skater) we do tons of testing -before,during and after practise.One thing I find helps is to ensure that she is adequately hydrated (water only). I also make sure if she snacks that she eats a quality high protein and high fibre snack so that her sugars don't bounce around so much We also check every hour for some time after her exercise - the numbers stay high for about 3 hours then plummet back to normal.If we correct, it is done in smaller increments - often only a half or third correction is necessary to get the readings back down.
    My son has delayed post exercise lows so life can be exciting around here.
    Never a dull moment!!

5. Lauren :)

Lauren :) Approved members

erm... as a kid myself, i was just wonderin if the camp needs to be specifically "diabetes friendly"? I've been to quite a few camps: sailin, swimmin, aventure etc. and as long as you tell the people in charge that you have diabetes there doesn't seem to be a problem. as long as your son's got his testin stuff etc. with him and knows how to use it then there shouldnt be any trouble :D

6. Hockeygirl

Thanks for your mesg. We have been experimenting and the protein and fiber do help. Isn't it a pain that they have to deal with this all the time.

7. KerryD

KerryD New Member

My son is also a hockey goaltender. He is 17 and I have never sent him "away" to a camp because of the monitoring issue. He is content with local instructors. He wants to tryout for a few Jr Teams this year, but I'm not sure how those coaches will react when he needs to go to the bench for juice! He also gets the adrenalin high. 400 is not uncommon, and then drop 2 to 3 hours later. He won't check during a game because he says there isn't a place to get a shot and he doesn't want to take the chance of dropping during the game. He has hypophobia while competing. It is amazing that he does as well as he does. I would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions on how to overcome this fear of lows.

8. Hockeygirl

fear of lows

I as a parent have that fear. Our daughter has had a seizure right aft. diagnoses. Very scary. Now that my son has Diabetes, every time he falls on the ice I cringe until he gets up...My husband is part of the coaching staff that somewhat helps my fears. But Austin won't check himself on the bench either. Ticks me off. He is on the pump too, He could just hook uo real quick and give himself insulin. I will tell you, since he has been on the pump ( a couple of weeks) He has not had any 400's. He give himself 50% basal upfront and 50% aft. and he is usually good...He just said last weekend after a tournament weekend..That was the best he could think out there. WOW
    Maybe look into the pump for helping with the highs.
    Were are you guys at? I don't think the coaches would have a problem, but who knows....Austins coach has connections with Jr.s I hope that he has a chance when he is ready.
    I wish your son luck. It is so exciting to watch them play!!:D

9. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Hi - Tyler also plays hockey and goes high from adrenaline during games. I am now finding that the lower he is when going on the ice the lower he comes off - I know - makes sense - but if he is 150 plus going out - he comes off around 400 plus! But recently I have been getting daring - and letting him out 120 ish - and he is in the low to mid 200 after! Big difference after for only 30 points before!!!!

I have never had him test on the bench - have you ever seen those benches??? :eek: Anyways, he test right before going out and his coach has glucose tablets just in case. Games are only an hour, so we just have to have faith that they pay attention to how they are feeling.