- advertisement -

Ice Cream?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiger7lady, Aug 22, 2011.

1. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

Those of you on pump. What combo bolus do you use for ice cream and for how long? I know YDMV but I'm really having trouble with highs later on and everything I've tried hasn't helped.

2. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Unfortunately for us, no combo bolus done at the time of eating, will work. I really have to split it on the pump, as even a square wave will run him low. I just posted an update on the large-meal bolus thread that described the problem-solving we had to do.

3. blbrocky

blbrocky Approved members

My son is older but he does a dual wave for 1.5 hours. Then after eating the ice cream he will do a temp basal for 6 hours at 120%. This seems to work pretty well or him.

4. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

We are not close to getting a pump yet...but damn when I read how you all do this by percent up/down....time...OMG... It sounds like Rocket Science.. Man how long did it take you to really figure it all out??

5. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

It kind of is rocket science, but the pump does almost all the work for you. The pump is amazing. The basics are easy to learn (takes an hour or less) but there are so many features, you learn them one at a time after that, as you need them. I highly recommend you start pumping when you're ready, especially given the age of your son. :)

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

we don't need to do a combo bolus with ice cream. I've found if we bolus after she eats the ice cream she won't spike.

7. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

I have always thought the same thing. We are not ready for a pump quite yet. They want us to wait at least a yr before getting one.

8. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I've tried all sorts of combination but none has worked for us thus far. Been trying to experiment over the summer. Can you tell we've had lots of ice cream the last two months? I've done 10% and then 90% square wave over 3 hours and she still went low -- I believe by the 2nd hour.

I know she has a 2u tolerance...so anything above 2u has to be done as a square.

Ice cream is just one of those things that still stump me. The other night she had a cup-and-a-half of soft serve ... the 10% was delivered, then I stopped the square cause her BG stayed at 110. Well, I checked every hour that night and she never rose. She did swim for two hours that afternoon so the ice cream might have helped hold her steady the whole night.

My son is older but he does a dual wave for 1.5 hours. Then after eating the ice cream he will do a temp basal for 6 hours at 120%. This seems to work pretty well or him

Hmmm...maybe I should try this. Do a 10% square of the needed bolus and just do a 6 hour temp at 120%. Sounds promising.

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

The pump is easy. It's your CWD's reaction to food that takes longer to figure out.

I was very diligent with logs the first few months -- noting how she reacted to certain foods. In the beginning it was always, "you can eat that, but I'd need to test you every hour and then give you two shots". It was my way of figuring out when certain foods would hit her system -- like pasta, and pizza. I learned a lot from the forums -- how to tackle big burgers, etc. There are certain foods that we try to avoid altogether now -- like fries. If she does, she'll probably eat not more than 8 pcs.
    Took us a while to tackle cereal. But I learned how to deal with it here on the forums.

Soo... at the start there were lots more checking and logging. She had a blast when I experimented on chocolates. She got to eat a different type of chocolate everyday for 5 days. Milk chocolate tends to spike her -- outrageously so. We found out that mint chocolates were fine.

Yeah, I don't think handling the pump is the problem. It's just these dang foods that you can't bolus for upfront. Now add sports and illness to that. LOL. I mean, even laughter and excitement can either raise their BG or lower them. Laughing happily causes K to go low. Excitement causes her to go high. It's really interesting sometimes. :)

10. danielsmom

danielsmom Approved members

fries, pasta and pizza are out problem food and unfortunately a food that gets eaten a lot by my boy since he is picky...I am working on having him eat healthier...but it has been very challenging....

11. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I agree with this :)

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It depends on the ice cream and the quantity. McDonald's ice cream (which is low in fat) doesn't need a combo at all. Something like Cold Stone in a large quantity we do 75% up front and 50% over 4-6 hours. Then there is a big range in between there, and it usually depends on what he eats with it.

If you can post some numbers and how you bolused from last time you had ice cream, I might be able to help you adjust what you did.

It took us about two years to figure out high fat food. I logged everything that we tried so that they next time I could try something different.