- advertisement -

IC Ratios for 4/5 year old???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lori_Gaines, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

I am finding the past few days I have been having to give a correction three hours after eating, and it's been stubborn! As we all know, we usually never know why things change (all the TIME!), but I am wondering if it is time to adjust her IC ratios. Again. Those of you with 4-5 year olds, what IC ratios do you use? Oh, she weighs 38 lbs, in case that matters. :)

I wanted to add that I do not suspect a basal issue because after she spikes, she holds very steady until the next meal time.

2. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

How fatty is the food? Fat slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and when the insulin has stopped working the glucose levels spike.
    Maybe?

3. KHS22

KHS22 Approved members

my 4 y/o who is bigger than yours - about 42 lbs. Her ic ratios are all around the 20ish mark. 20-22 in fact I believe. What are hers at?

4. Lori_Gaines

Not a fatty food spike as it is happening no matter the food type.

KHS- Looks like we match pretty well. Hers are 18:1 for breakfast and 20:1 for lunch and dinner. I sure was hoping to see different lol so I could be like "Aha, that's it! Everyone else has tighter ratios!" Ugh!

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Very similar to the above. My daughters 6 and about 43 lbs. we do go down to 1:15 for school lunch bc we can't seem to get the school lunch spike under control

6. Lori_Gaines

Very helpful. I might try tightening her breakfast ratio even more and see what happens.

7. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Very similar here, too. K's been at 1:20 for breakfast, 1:22 for lunch, and 1:20 for dinner (or something very similar) for a couple of years. He's about 45 lbs now, but I'm sure that he was at roughly the same numbers at 38 lbs.

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

my youngest who is 6.5 year but DX this year and 40lbs is at 1:16 for breakfast, and looking back at my oldest she was ar 1:15 by 4years old, dx at 13 months.