- advertisement -

IC Ratio of 5 ???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Darryl, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

From 2007 through the fall of 2009, my dd needed somewhere around 25-35u/day. Then it doubled, pretty much overnight. It's not the doubling of insulin that makes it harder, it's that on some days she doesn't need very much at all, other days she needs a lot.

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I am of the opinion, at least when it comes to the insulins we've used (NPH, Humalog, and Apidra), that the insulin is never bad. It's always something else - a bad site (rarely), and the other 99% of the time, it's just one of the days when much more basal is needed!

3. alismom

alismom Approved members

In the past two weeks, we have gone from 1:12 TO 1:8, and I'm not yet sure that is sufficient. We are not far behind.

4. Dad of Daughters

Dad of Daughters Approved members

Darryl and all,

As you have continued to increase ratio, have you had trouble with big drops after the meal peak? If so, have you tried super bolusing? We have been experimenting with super bolus for breakfast for the last couple weeks and have liked what it has done for us so far.

5. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I was wondering that too?:confused:

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Can't be - that would be lethal. :eek:

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How do you enter that in the PDM when it asks how many carbs 1u covers? I never scrolled down far enough to get decimals. :confused:

8. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

I never said I was a mensa girl, but are you saying that if she has 60 carbs for lunch, she gets 300 units?!!!:eek::eek::eek:

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Bumping this up so Darryl sees it. I'm pretty sure he mistyped, but I'm no mensa girl either. ;)

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's so strange - I replied earlier but the post isn't here!

For some reason, pumps are programmed for "IC Ratio" but if you program "5", it means 1 unit of insulin for 5 carbs.
    So the ratio, properly stated, would be C:I (not I:C). I don't know why there is this discrepancy, especially given the
    consequences of misinterpreting the ratio.

In our case, it's 1 unit of insulin to 5 carbs. A 60 carb meal is 12u. For that reason, and general sensitivity to carbs
    in the morning, she limits her breakfasts to 40 carbs (8u).

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Under System Setup > Basal/Bolus/Calcs > Ratios/Factors/Targets > IC Ratio

You just enter a number, like 5. That means 5 carbs per unit of insulin.
    Technically, the menu should say CI Ratio, not IC Ratio.

The text in the IC ratio menu actually says "Insulin to Carb Ratio"
    When in fact it is the "Carb to Insulin Ratio".

Not sure how that got past FDA approval...

12. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

Liam's on the Animas Ping and in his set up it is shown as I:C. It isn't displayed the way you are saying. Maybe it depends on the pump. Back to the original point...when Liam is going through a growth spurt his insulin needs are significantly higher. Lately though, we seem to be having the opposite problem and keep having to reduce insulin because of lows.

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Each pump may be different. There's a screenshot of the Omnipod on page 63 of the user guide:
    http://www.myomnipod.com/pdf/13705-AW UST200 User Guide Rev D_WEB.pdf

We also have the problem of alternating high/low basal days. One day her basal rate may need to be 4u/hour or more, the next day under 0.4u/hour for at least part of the day. All we can do is adjust by the hour!

14. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

The first time I have Emma a bolus over 1 unit I nearly had a heart attack.

15. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I was on a 1:5 ratio for breakfast about a year when I was 15-16, but I'm back to a 1:10 ratio now (the same throughout the day). I think it's a puberty thing.

16. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

LOL thanks for explaining, I've never heard it called anything but the I:C ratio and we aren't even pumping yet.

17. timsma

timsma Approved members

Tim has been on a 1:5 ratio for early morning breakfasts for some time now. He still spikes high so we just switched him to 1:3 for that time of day. on weekends he eats later so he isn't on as tight of a ratio. Monday will be the real test on the 1:3. It is scary to give so much insulin for such few carbs!

18. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth is at 1:6 for breakfast, it's his highest of the day. Lunch is 1:9 and dinner 1:10.

Lunch and dinner on shots was more like 1:15 and 1:12. Breakfast was still 1:6. They need a lot more in the morning for the growing and hormones.

19. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Ok, so that was mistyped earlier. Phew!

We just changed from 1:7 to 1:6 since the last time I posted. :rolleyes:

20. timsma

timsma Approved members

As to the poster that mentioned that with such tight I:C ratios, that perhaps basals need to be higher at that time of day, well, for us, if Tim were to have the higher basal in the morning and then not eat, he would crash. When he eats breakfast later like on weekends his I:C ratio is more lax. So it isn't basal for him that needs to be raised, it just has to do with him eating early in the morning when dawn phenomenon is in high gear. Food at that time just spikes him too high. He can eat the same thing just a couple hours later and doesn't need as much I:C. Hope that made sense. He doesn't eat breakfast before school every day so on the days he doesn't eat, his basal is just fine. It's totally a need for more I:C then.