- advertisement -

I would like to purchase a scale - advice?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Nevaeh's mommy, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Nevaeh's mommy

Nevaeh's mommy Approved members

Hey everyone!

I want to purchase a scale and would like any advice possible. Pros and cons of different brands, etc.

I recently had someone suggest getting the Kitrics Nutritional Label scale. Does any one have and use this one? Pros and cons?

Thank you! :)

2. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

We have "Perfect Portions" and Salter scales and love them both for different reasons.

1. Perfect Portions is great because it is flat and you can fit a large dinner plate on it without it becoming wobbly. It is small enough that we can put it in a iPad sleeve and take it out with us. We like the "nutrition label" style that it has. The only thing we are not fond of is that you need a code book to look up the food that you are weighing.

2. Salter scale. Folds like laptop. We find it not really portable compared to Perfect Portions. Screen is hard to read and buttons are finicky. However, the database of foods is built right in, and we love it for this reason.

If I could only have one, I would choose Perfection Portions.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

4. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

We have a basic $20 "Biggest Loser" brand scale that works fine for us. We use it in conjunction with the Calorie King book to count carbs for DD.

5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We have the "Perfect Portions" as well and love it. It was about $50 at Bed, Bath, and Beyond and has a 5 year warranty. (We killed our first scale from Target within a year.) One nice perk this one has over the Target one is the laminated code book. The other one was not doing well by the time the scale died.

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

We use EatSmart Nutrition Scale. It shows all the nutritional values and we love it! Cons - the price :p

7. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I think it's time to break down and get a new scale with a nutritional db. I am so tired of looking up all the carb factors on my cheat sheet and using my calculator to figure out carb factors. Someone must be getting a hoot up in heaven watching me figure out carb factors, count carbs and peck away at my calculator....all before I get my first cup of morning coffee. I just want a scale that says....this is your total carbs...now bolus, eat and carry on! :rolleyes:

8. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Our first scale was a cheap model from Wal-mart that used a code book with a limited list of food choices.

It died after a year and I purchased the Salter scale. Definitely worth the money. It has a huge database. My one pet peeve is the screen...really wish it was back lit to make it easier to read.

9. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

And a QWERTY keyboard!