- advertisement -

I wonder if..........

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Sep 23, 2008.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

I hate to ask this but i am going to because i need to know and i know you all will understand.
    Since DX how many out there has had to have some help by use of meds with the stress, overwhelment, depression from time to time on top of working(those who do) and family responsibilities?

There are times when i am good no problem can handle everything. Then there are times i feel like i am FIGHTING with numbers!!! I see a high number or low and i feel sick to my stomach or feel my face getting bright red!! They sometimes drive me insane!! Sometimes D and Endo team makes me feel inadequate as a mother and sometimes it makes me feel challenged to do the best i can for my child.

Sometimes i wonder do i need a little something to take the edge off then theres days when i would not dare think of such!!!

I think this pump thing is going to be great though once we get through all the trials, training, and right dosing etc. , but until then whew theres alot to learn and be done!!!

2. etringali

etringali Approved members

I was on anti depressants before Alex DX, but we increased my therapy sessions for a bit to help me cope. She increases/decreases time between visits depending on her assessment of how I'm coping with life. When I'm good about every 8 weeks, when I'm not coping, every 3-4 ( we be in 3-4 cycle right now)

Medication isn't for anyone, but there is nothing wrong with being on it. If it helps you cope with life, use it. It's a tool. I can't cope without meds. a speed bum becomes an impassable mountain to me without my medication and a little valley becomes a bottomless crevasse.

HOpe your hills and valleys smooth out.

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm a SAHM, but do understand feeling overwhelmed with just about everything.

I'm currently on anti-depressants. They're finally working. I feel calmer. I am not out of it nor am I totally 'peace and love', but just calmer, more focused....one thing at a time type of attitude, and this helps a lot.

Meds are not for everyone, some seek counseling, others try sports or just getting more daily help with a sitter, a housecleaner, etc. I tried meds:D

I hope you find what works for you. Good for you for asking this. I'm sure there are many in a similar situation.

4. Lee

Lee Approved members

There is absolutely nothing wrong with getting help with problems. For me, therapy actually made it worse becuase I got more wound up the more I talked about it. Wellbutrin was the only thing that helped me ~ and I did not need it for long term - though I want some now!

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I'd like to be comfortable going on meds again, but I have a history of depression and the meds actually didn't work the way they were supposed to. Sure, I felt good, but in the wrong way. A little cryptic, but you can PM me if you want details.

6. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

::raises hand::

ME! I have a history of depression/anxiety dating back to long before dx (I was 13 the first time) so I am no stranger to this kind of stuff. I've been on anti-depressants in the past and am on them now. I have also taken mild anxiolytics upon occasion to treat anxiety issues. They help. There is no shame in getting help that you need to deal with life's struggles. That help may come in the form of talk therapy or it may come in the form of a pill. Either way you are taking care of yourself.

7. hmmmcormick

hmmmcormick Approved members

I have been on generic Celexa (citalopram) for some time now. Before that I was on prozac. I have been taking something for many years now, long before dx. I was first having problems before Morgan was even born. I went off meds for awhile, but found I just can't be off them. I haven't been to therapy in years now. I kind of wish I could afford it, our health plan doesn't cover mental health at all. That is why I had to go to generic celexa, I was taking the name brand, citalopram is a $4 drug at Walmart pharm. There is no shame in taking an antidepressant, that is for sure. I think I actually know more people on them than not. :)

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

I would guess that since you are coping well day to day and only feel overwhelmed occsionally you may not need meds but posssibly more support.
    Our endo team includes a counsellor who can meet with the D person, parents individually, as a couple, or with sibliings. You could contact your child's endo for names of counsellors or support groups if you want to go that route.
    I was on antidepressants before dd was dx but did think about increasing my dose for a while there.:) You should not be any more embarrassed about needing medication to treat depression or anxiety than you would be for treating any other illness. You may need it for a while until you adjust to the stress of D. You may need to take it forever. Talk to your Dr., talk to your family, talk to your friends, but only to people who would be supportive of your decision in the end. There are still people out there sho will tell you to "cheer up", find a hobby, exersize more, or, my favorite, just get over it. Those things can help or work for some but not all.

9. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

Thank you all for being honest and replying!! Actually i was on a small amount of Lexapro right after Aarons diagnosis then i felt i did not need it so i backed off and it was really hard to come off of!!! Now after 1 1/2 year you would think i would be broke in good with the D situation but lately it seems its getting harder and harder. DH works shift work helps out as much as possible. I am the one seeing more of the numbers, writing them down, faxing, getting calls making arrangements etc. He knows but I "see" the D stuff gets handled and taken care of.
    I may just need a little something again to help cope.
    I think talking would not be good for me after a while i would probally get worked up and just remind myself of how hard it gets .
    Thanks again i knew you all would definately understand!!

10. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I took them before matt was ever diagnoses... however, since the DX, I have added one pill to the mix and am on prozac and wellbutrin at the same time.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

I self-medicate as needed with a variety of beverages, and when I'm really in need of a boost a night out with the boys (including liberal doses of liquid medications) usually does the trick.. ;)

12. zoesmama

zoesmama Approved members

Unfortunately, I cannot imbibe much in Wilf's therapeutic options, as I take a veritable cocktail of prescription meds. NO, I'm not one of those people that is addicted and popping pills left and right, but...... basically, I have been on some form of anti-depressant or another for off and on for years (not when I was pregnant/nursing, obviously), and after my accident (wherein I lost my leg), I started taking other meds to help with phantom sensation/neuropathy and anxiety. I found out last summer that the dx of depression wasn't exactly right, though it's certainly part of it. Now I probably sound as cryptic as Danismom, wonder if she and I should talk? Eh, if any of you are interested, send a msg.... I usually tell it like it is. :p

Anyway, since Zoe's dx, it's certainly gotten worse, and I find myself bordering on OBSESSION with d. I blow off schoolwork until the very last possible second, am chronically late, etc..... because I do nothing else but take care of Zoe and consume as much information as possible about d.

This is an incredibly long-winded (as per usual :rolleyes:) way of chiming in with others to tell you that you're not alone. Far from it, actually. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to PM me. That goes for the rest of you, too. :cwds:

13. sugarmonkey

sugarmonkey Approved members

I've been on and off anti depressants for years. Since long before dxd. It would be a lot harder for me to cope with two kids with special health needs on my own without the meds. My doctor agrees. Last time I saw him about the meds I told him I'd go off them when they find a cure for d. He laughed at that, and agreed with me. He also knows my ex husband so can understand i might need the pills to help me deal with himm.