- advertisement -

I wish ...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I wish that bg testers gave color coded readings.

Green for a high or low that can be easily remedied either with a few tabs or a simple correction.

Yellow for a high or low that will need 2x the normal response.

and

RED for those crazy highs and lows that seem boundless. The highs that take a double correction and a 200% temp basal for hours or the low that needs 100 carbs to get back in range.

We've had a few highs lately that made me think of diving into the deep end of the pool and knowing that you couldn't touch the bottom, but having no idea if it was 12 feet or 12 leagues down.:rolleyes:

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I've also pondered a meter that tests other factors such as growth hormone output and glucagon output.

Also a pump that had a motion monitor that would tell me that while I left my dd at the neighbors for a 1/2 hour that she was running and bouncing and singng the entire time and that I need to get carbs into now before she goes low.

I mean really for those that dont mind looking at more info our kids are already attached 24/7 to meters and pumps and CGMs, or have them at arms reach.

Like right now, dd is running low at school, would loe to know if it is a excitment low of a new insulin in pump low.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

This is OT (not to hijack a thread...) but DH was wondering if they could make a meter to measure blood alcohol levels? That would be interesting.... We're thinking, for police officers, testing drunk drivers.

Meters have come a long way, but you're right...a meter that told us WHY they're high/low (excitement, adrenaline, sneaking food, illness, you name it)...that would be a dream come true!

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Don't you guys have "booze buses" as we call them lol. Police here park buses on streets near entertainment areas on weekends an breathalise everyone who drives past for blood alcohol, sometimes saliva drug tests too. Much less invasive than a meter to test for drunk driving! All police cars here are equipped with breathalyzers. You can also buy breathalyzer key chains for personal use and many clubs have breathalyzers on the wall for people to use to decide if they can drive home (they're mostly used for competitions to see who is most intoxicated but that's another story..;) )

5. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

The meter part of the AccuChek combo pump does exactly what you were asking for. It's pretty cool and you can see the graphs etc on the full colour meter screen. I think in the UK it was being sold as a stand alone meter with bolusing calculations for MDI etc.. (i thought I saw it but can't find it now :rolleyes:)
    Pity the pump part of the combo isn't quite so cool.:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  6. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

What didn't you like about the pump? I have every intention of going with the MM Veo when my warranty is up, but am looking at other available pumps too. I've basically already dismissed the Accu-Chek Combo though just based on looks. Am I the only one who thinks they make the most hideous looking pumps?

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I didn't like that you have to bolus in units from the pump - it has no bolus calculator. It doesn't have a battery status symbol - the first notice you get of low battery is that the meter can't communicate with the pump !! (so you have to bolus from the pump :confused:). There is no fill cannula stage - you have to bolus the cannula fill. It doesn't show meal IOB (but you can get it to show by going out of the calculator and manually bolusing the meal insulin).
    There were some really good things - like the fact that you can set your duration of insulin action precisely with a setting for onset of action (you set when you think its starts working like 45 mins etc) and the remote was pretty cool all round.
    We still haven't chosen which pump we'll go with next so we'll probably look at it again :cwds:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

That's funny, Jane ... but I meant was... you know that 370 that you correct and a couple of hours later she's 165 and headed down and the problem was fairly easy to fix? That would be a green high, but then you get that 370 that you correct and it comes down after 2 hours to 340 and you run a temp rate of 200% and you're stalling on starting to make dinner and an hour later she's 310 and you know it's not the site so you correct again and and a hour later it's 250 and so on and so on (this would be red). What I want is a meter that can tell those tow 370's apart so I could know that it was safe and necessary to be super aggressive with one, but not needed with the other.

Best that made zippo sense.:p

9. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

I thought it made complete sense!:D When I read your post - I thought, YES! That would be GREAT!!!

I would find "color coding" extremely helpful when Tyler isn't home. It's hard to not overreact with low lows when he is at a friends and won't be home until hours later or even the next day or if he is high, it's hard to tell him to be aggressive with treating that high for the fear that he may crash in a bit.

10. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

That would be one clever meter ;)...

11. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

What you're seeking is totally retro. I used Clinitest tablets in the 60's through the 70s and let's just say the measure of BG was crude at best.