- advertisement -

I will never again do this!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Sep 30, 2011.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

J had a couple of overnight lows that got me up and I just napped on the couch to keep an ear on his Dex so I could treat him without going from room to room. I got him up, and went to sleep on the couch, kind of expecting him to go a bit high. So when DH woke me up, saying the Dex was alarming and J was 155, I wasn't surprised. (We have his range set from 70 to 140, so it alarms over 140).
    I was so sleepy and groggy I didn't double check the number but just bolused him a unit to get him down.
    Thank God DH came back in a few minutes later and asked if I had treated J. Because I heard that J was 155, but what DH had said was J was below 55! :eek::eek::(

Two juices and a cup of chocolate milk later, all was well, but boy was that a big mistake. I'll never bolus based on what I've been told again, I must see it with my own eyes!

2. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Scary. And so easy to make a mistake. Glad everything turned out ok.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Your hubby was up and didn't do it?
    (Kevin doesn't do night testing but if he was up and did :rolleyes: I would expect him to finish the job and let me sleep - NOT wake me and then check that I'd done it).
    Do you use the ping meter that would have not given a correction based on the BG?

I'm not being sarcastic - I just wish I had a husband that tested and a CGMS and a linked meter .... jealous!:cwds:

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

I was kinda wondering why your hubby didn't treat too. If you were on the couch I could see why he would let you know... But he probably should have gotten the juice. Sorry not trying to bash him or anything...:cwds:

5. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Ah, bash away. He's lazy and J doesn't respond well to him. I can get J to suck down juice in his sleep but DH can't. J fights him, it's like he knows who is fooling with him even while he is asleep. So instead of trying, DH just wakes me to do it.

Yep, I used the ping remote to bolus him from the couch. :eek:
    DH had looked at the Dex, so no meter used, and we use a Compact Plus instead of the Ping remote, so even then, the remote wouldn't have told me not to bolus.

6. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

If it is any help. I treated what I thought was a low of 11 because I didn't turn the light on. And I really treated. The low turned out to be a 111. I should have known it was wrong because I was just shaky and dropping. Never mind what I went up to. Let's just say I learned never to try and read my meter in the dark.