- advertisement -

I was asked to test her in the hall

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Feb 2, 2012.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

Yes, thank you for looking into her link even before me, that's just what I need. Printing now.

2. BittysMom

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

If the teacher doesn't want her class to be disrupted, she needs to exercise control of her class. If she can't handle a group of 6 year olds, she should have failed basic classroom management.

Get that 504 amended, pronto. That's the beauty of the instrument - it can be refined at any time.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Massively good job. Very impressive. Glad it turned out so well so quickly.

5. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Reann was older when she was dx'd and I told the principal right away that I wanted her to be able to test in the classroom. It was approved--we did not do a 504. One of her jr high teachers asked me one day about R going to the office to test(we did not have a nurse). I explained to her what could happen if R was low and fell down the steps going to the office. She said okay. Then a yr later she told me that if Reann had tested in her classroom, she did it very discreetly as she had never seen R test. And I know she did test in that classroom.

6. Mish

Mish Approved members

good job. I guess the teacher probably went storming down to the office where she was promptly put in her place, and rightfully so.

Even though my son never tested in the classroom at that age, our 504 always said that testing could happen anywhere in the building. I figured if I was there at school and I wanted to test in the class then that's where I was going to do it.

And like others, he tests at his desk now and no one even cares anymore. When he was little kids would ask, but very quickly they simply learned "oh he has diabetes, that's why he does that."

7. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Just a note. if you copy and past the url above and change out the state of NY and put in your state it will get that document - at least it did with NJ and HI.

8. Gsmama

Gsmama Approved members

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

It would seem to me that testing in the classroom is less disruptive and more dignified than in the hallway. Hope you get this worked out for the best of your child.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  10. BittysMom

Just want to thank everyone again. I have no one in real life who would "get" this (other than my husband) so it helps not feeling alone up against a really stupid wall. I'm also thankful to those who obviously fought this battle resulting in the legal protections. It sure must make things easier for us. I can't imagine way back when.

11. Mish

Mish Approved members

It always makes me sad for the little ones when they're just figuring out that this whole crap is here forever, and then to have someone they trust so much make it hard for them, just breaks my heart.

12. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

My apologies...I should have read the whole thread before posting. Glad to see things are ok now.:cwds:

13. BittysMom

You know, that's what honestly bugs me the most. It really didn't cause any problems in the classroom, so why did she feel the need to go to the principal and try to make up a rule that I couldn't do it? Way to make something sucky even worse. Who would do that? and Caroline witnessed everything which is something I'm not keen on.

14. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

It may not be worthwhile -- I leave that to your judgement entirely, of course -- but is that something you could ask about? If it was me, I's al least consider sending the teacher an email asking, as a follow up, what her concerns were about testing in the classroom. She might have some concern that never occurred to you or have a misconception that you could clear up. Of course, it could turn out that she's simply foolish ...

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I'm just curious, why, if there is a nurse and a classroom aide, are you going in and checking and bolusing?

As for the teacher not being able to handle the disruption and asking you to go in the hall...yikes. If she thinks this is a disruption, she's in for a big surprise when she gets kids with more intense needs than just a blood sugar check! I'm wondering if she is off put by the fact that there is a parent in "her territory?"

I'm glad that it has been cleared up as to what the rights are. Now, what needs to be done is amend that 504 so that it states clearly that a)your child can test herself or be tested anywhere on campus as needed b)your child will not be told where to test (ie. being made to go in the hall or in a corner). Do not let the school tell you that this cannot be done. A 504 can be updated or amended at any time.

16. BittysMom

This scenario happens when there are classroom parties where parents are either invited or asked to come and help out. I was asked by the class mom to help out yesterday. If I'm going to be there it makes sense for me to bolus her. Plus, the nurse doesn't count carbs, I send pre-counted lunches in. Yesterday she would have been trying to carb count white rice and sweet and sour chicken for the Chinese new year. Other times it's a plate full of pretzels, popcorn and cookies... I prefer doing the carb counting on these occasions and the nurse appreciates that. She has offered to do it if I'm not available though. and yep, definitely have to amend that 504.

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

What do you think of this teacher overall? Did she give you any reason for this?

I've been running on the assumption that this lady is monstrous, but after reading all the posts I'm wondering. . . . is it possible that some mom is making a deal? And the teacher is caught between two families, and has privacy issues that mean she can't talk to you more like a human being?

If this happened during a time when other moms were there and that has been the case before, I wonder if some mom is worried about her wittle baby seeing blood or something and the teacher is trying to juggle things?

18. BittysMom

If Caroline didn't have D I'd probably think she was a great teacher- nice and competent. She has a *wonderful* reputation amongst parents and I was thrilled that we got her. But from the get-go she felt burdoned by Caroline's D and never let go of the fact that I wouldn't get C her own aide. I think she resented the fact that in essence I was able to make her have a heavier "work load". I see her every day at pick up and I often have to hear an over exaggeration of Caroline's numbers like it's the end of the world. "Did you hear she was low?!" "Her numbers were swinging wildly" (85-200's). and how she can't even let Caroline read in the hall with other students because she can't see her, and how she had to cancel birthday parties because it was "too much" with Caroline's D:confused::rolleyes: and what will we do in 1st grade when there are no classroom aides...and on and on...yeah, I'm venting here :)

I think she would have loved to tell me if I had made another mom uncomfortable because she loves to point out any and all problems with C having D to me. I'm sick of hearing about them (hence my little rant here, lol)and I do everything I can to make C's D as easy on the school as I can within reason. I'm amazed at this side of her that I don't think any other parents have seen. The only other glimpse of it I've seen was a mom asking her about about something that happened on the playground with her daughter and teacher was all "I'm not there, I'm just her teacher" sort of wiping her hands of it the way she told me to talk to the principal.

The kids have a week vacation in February and I think it'll do us all some good.

19. jules12

jules12 Approved members

I would follow-up with the teacher privately later. Sounds like she has been a pain all year....why couldn't you daughter go out in the hall with other students to read?? She would around others.

During our first year of dealing with diabetes in the school, the nurse asked me to test in the hall during a party since my son did all the testing at the office she wasn't sure the other kids in class were mature enough to handle it. I told her I would this one time and that we needed to talk later about why she thought this was necessary. Shortly after that, we read Taking Diabetes to School to the class so the kids would understand.

So sorry you had to deal with this....sounds like you handled it well!

20. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Ahh.

I can see where you are coming from, but why doesn't the nurse count carbs? It's not that hard. Yes, we send in a carb list everyday for lunch, but the nurse would do the parties(if I wasn't assigned to that particular one), call me if she had a question. I purchased them a Calorie King book, they downloaded one on their computers.
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but you don't want to make yourself so available to the school that they take advantage of this fact, and then never learn to do things like counting carbs. Yes, I'm all for helping out, I did my share, but don't let them take advantage of you.