- advertisement -

I think we made a mistake (OmniPod related)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by sincity2003, Nov 23, 2013.

1. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

So, I think we made a mistake in choosing the OmniPod. The "no tubing" really appealed to us as DS is very active at school and in sports. We've had numerous adhesion issues, which I've talked about here, and they did replace the entire first box (which I am grateful for), but now, because they don't stay attached like they should, I feel like we're running out of places to put them. they are so big, and I know that they can be rotated, it just seems like we've made a mistake.
    We are past our 45 days by one week.

has anyone had any luck being past the 45 days and getting it returned?

Also, we've looked at the T-slim, but I noticed it said for children 12 and up...my son is 9. Does that play a part in whether or not insurance will approve it?

Thanks in advance!

2. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

My daughter switched from the OmniPod to the T:Slim. She is 10, but was 9 at the time. Just too many failures and issues. In our case, we talked to our endo about the problems and requested the T:Slim. She wrote a letter of medical necessity that explained why the pump wasn't working for DD. She submitted it to insurance and they approved the T:Slim, even though it had only been 5 months at the time. From what I was told, switching pumps FROM an OmniPod is easier because of the way they are billed. In the case of the pods, the upfront cost is minimal but the monthly costs are higher. In traditional pumps, the upfront (pump itself) costs are much higher. So it's not like paying for two traditional insulin pumps. FWIW, my daughter is very happy on the T:Slim and loves this pump.

As you can see, I have a son still using the pods. Tubeless IS worth the failures and adhesive issues (he's allergic so rotations are even harder because we have to wait for each site to heal, and we rotate Dexcoms on those same sites) and lack of stickiness in recent boxes for him so we stick it out.

For some kids, changing is the best answer. For some, it's not.

Good luck!

3. MissionsMom

MissionsMom Approved members

I don't know about returning after 45 days, but I would try. About the Tslim though, my son has just been approved for it, and he's also 9. I think as long as there's a letter of necessity from your doctor's office, the insurance will go with it. Good luck to you!

4. sincity2003

Thank you both! I have sent an email to our CDE to see what she thinks. If we make the switch, I'd really like to have it approved by 12/31 of this year because our medical plan completely changes as of January 1st. Probably a long shot at this point, but what does it hurt to try, right? I'm a believer in always asking because you're already at no when you ask these things.

Thanks again :)

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I would definitely call Omnipod or your rep. With all the issues they've had you've got a good case for return.

6. sincity2003

Called them today. They will not take it as a return. They said yes, they have notes of all my problems but other people aren't having those problems, so they won't take the return at the 51 day mark. I am contacting Animas to have them submit the request to our insurance to see what they say. If they come back with a no because of the OmniPod already being approved, I've already written a letter and sent it to our CDE of all the issues with dates/times/and even pictures of some of the issues we've had.
    I'm hoping that with all that information, they will provide the override for another pump before the 4 year period.

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I did not read the whole thread (under time constraints) but you need to contact your (private) health insurance and tell them that Insulet is making a subpar, unreliable product that your child cannot use, and that Insulet is not taking your complaints and your request to return the device seriously. Make sure to file a formal, written complaint to your insurance, in addition to talking to them over the phone. Use your documentation.

I do not like insurance companies, but they are there for dealing with disputes, especially when a medical device company makes a product with quality control issues that cannot be used, compromising your child's health.

Also consider filing a complaint to the BBB. I do not consider it fair game with medical devices but perhaps this will cause them to take complaints seriously about quality.

By the way, I am having exceptional problems with this current box, with adherence issues. I use Kinesio Tex tape (two long 2" wide strips placed lengthwise across my abdomen) and I am still having problems.

8. moco89

moco89 Approved members

Kinesiology tape (such as Kinesio tape) worked for me when running around 3 miles in 95+ degree Fahrenheit weather.

9. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Unbelievable :mad:

10. sincity2003

I have left two messages for the nurse case manager that handled the approval of the system because that's who customer service told me I needed to talk to. I'm hoping she's just out for the holiday and will get back to me on Monday. I also spoke to Animas today so that they could start their paperwork and maybe that will push her to call me too when she gets that request for pre-authorization. I never thought about the BBB, but will consider that option as well if needed. When I called the first time yesterday the customer service rep was very short and rude with me. When I called the second time, because a pod I put on Monday at 5:30 fell right off his leg at 6:30 pm last night, when he was home all day with me, no sweating, no running around, just normal, lazing around the house, the second lady was trying to be sympathetic but again told me that once it's past 45 days, there's nothing they can do to help me. :(

11. swellman

swellman Approved members

I am of the mind that adhesion is a personal, chemistry issue. We have had, of late, issues upon issues, but adhesion isn't one of them - never has been. Don't blame the company for sticky problems - that's not their fault. I'm sure they try their best to comply to the greatest population of stickyness. Yes, it sucks to be one of the few that can't adhere to the OmniPod but that's not their fault.

However, I have to wonder what body chemistry affects this ... our son swims competitively now and we never, ever, ever have a pod adhesion problem.

I'm not casting aspersions but if I worked for them I would wonder what one was doing wrong to make these things fall off their body.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  12. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I would agree that it is an individual body chemistry thing, but I would also think that if you are one of those people, that insulet would take the system back.

Not under the idea that there is something wrong with the system, but rather that the system is completely wrong for that individual person.

Don't pump companies sent out refurbished units if something goes wrong? They could just wipe clean and repackage the pdm and call it a day. I think it's just bad customer service to not take it back.

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

We are having adhesion problems ever since she started with the new pods. Nothing else has changed, but we have to use Skin Tac or Mastisol on the tape before applying it, or it will come off in a day. We used to have to cut a piece of the paper backing and stick it on the middle of the adhesive because it was sticking far too much and really marking her skin even with using lots of adhesive remover and time before trying to remove them. Stopped doing that as soon as she started on the new pods. It is a pain, but I wouldn't let this issue stop her from using her pump of choice.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think they are generally all willing to take pumps back during the return window, in this case the OP has already passed that date. It's a shame, but I don't think having a cut-off at 30 days or the like is at all unreasonable.

15. sincity2003

If I had suddenly woke up on the 51st day and said this system sucks, I want to return it, I wouldn't feel this way. I have been calling them since day 3 of having it. I've talked to the local sales rep, the local CDE, customer service and tech support. I have tried every single adhesive suggestion they've asked me to. Nothing has worked. He uses no lotions, oils, whatever. He has developed rashes from some of the adhesives we tried. For them to now say sorry, we're not helping you, is a little disingenuous.

I don't believe they're a bad company or they have a bad product. I believe it doesn't work for my son and I'm asking them to take back the PDM. We will gladly pay for the pods, even though they didn't last like they should, and I told them that. The first pod went on his body on 10/3. Out of 40 pods, we have 3 left. I didn't even get into all the insulin we've lost that wasn't replaced.

Again, just asking for them to take back the PDM and bill me for the pods, that's all.

16. sincity2003

My DS was really excited to start on the pods. He was upset we had to wait a week when they got here for our training appointment. What he's no longer excited about is replacing them every 24-36 hours on average. As of right now he's not even on it. The one that came off after 22 hrs and what prompted me to call and tell them enough is enough, was the last one he wore. I'm sorry your daughter is having adhesion issues now too. That's two more in this thread other than us.

17. sincity2003

I've asked the question many, many times. However, at least 3 of the times he's been standing right next to us and its fallen right off of him. No running, no horseplay no nothing. Just falls to the ground. Again, I don't think it's a bad product for the right person. It's just not for him.
    Last note: the very first pod which was put on by their CDE fell off within 24 hrs. I guess we should have just returned it right then and not given it as many tries as we did.

18. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

FWIW, our adhesive problem is recent. Our first few months were great for stickiness - even with swimming all day, every day. Now we can't let DS take a 5 minute shower without taping a cover over his pod or it falls off. His chemistry hasn't changed that dramatically - I think it's another manufacturing issue. He still have the same allergic reaction, we still do barrier wipes and add adhesives and tape it down...but a five minute shower kills the pod. We're using pods from an August shipment right now.

19. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I tried to look back and see what you have tried for the adhesive issue, but I didn't see that you posted anything except Flexifix. I did see that you had problems with the Dexcom also falling off, so you might have problems with regular infusion sets also. Have you tried alcohol on the site, then either Skin Tac or Mastisol? Where are you putting the pods on his body? I'm wondering whether you are having him stretch out the skin so that the tape can flex with him when he moves? I have been using that suggestion lately and it does help a lot.

Honestly, there have been other posts here about trying to get a refund from a company past the warranty time, but you can't blame the company for not wanting to go beyond that. If they do it for one person, they will have to do it for others. And if a week or two is ok, then it goes on... If you had asked for an extension before the time was up because you were thinking of giving up, then that would have been different.

20. Bballmom

Bballmom Approved members

My son is 13 and very active in sports year round. He really wanted the omnipod but after trying 3 pods in a week that all feel off, we just couldn't order the omnipod. He decided to go with the Tslim. It has been awesome. He went from a 9.6 A1C to 7.7 in one month.