- advertisement -

I think my son might be getting sick... What is ok to use for sinus drainage?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DiabetesMama, Sep 8, 2015.

1. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Hi! Heard my son coughing a lot last night and I too was not feeling well. We are both having sinus drainage problems I guess. I know that some meds can really mess with his numbers, so does anyone have any suggestions? This is very rare for him to get sick so I am unsure of what would be best to give him? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. :triumphant:

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

If you use any decongestant products, make sure they don't have acetaminophen. It supposedly makes the Dex numbers be off. We've used Advil sinus and Alkaseltzer. Or you could just use the plain old fashioned Neti-pot.

3. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine products basically work like epinephrine/adrenaline which raises blood sugar in while they are acting. They are potent stimulants which can work for 8-12 hours. They can also lead to energy crashes later because they raise your metabolism a lot and can use up liver and muscle glycogen. I would avoid them if possible though advil sinus has some I think, so if B.B. doesn't see much rise I guess go for it.

(Some studies actually looked at using an epi pen to treat lows. They had a small effect but not enough.)

Also flonase and other cortical steroids tend to raise blood sugar.

If you have to use pseudoephedrine/or that kind of medicine it might be best to use it in a spray form and only for 2-3 days. The spray will target the nasal passages, but not have the same effect on the whole body.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

With illness, the rise from the virus or bug or allergy that is driving the symptoms generally overshadows any fiddly little rise from meds or the sugar in the suspension (many are sugarfree anyway). With the exception of oral steroids, taken for a bad case of poison ivy, we have not been much bothered by the impact of medication, OTC or otherwise.

5. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Agree with Sarah. My dd has allergies & is prone to bronchitis. Other than prednisone & 1 particular antibiotic, we've seen little effect on BG.

6. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

Thanks so much! I will write all this down and keep it handy if it gets to where he needs something. I always try to let both of my kids fight things off if possible because I hate to give them meds. Thanks again!:triumphant:

7. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I have no issues taking sudafed (the "real" kind) or similar. I take the generic version of flonase on and off and also don't see any difference in blood sugars related to it. The systemic bioavailability of steroid nasal sprays is incredibly low even at high doses. I can't imagine the normal dose having a noticeable impact on BGs. The main thing to watch out for is that tylenol tends to be in a lot of the meds marketed for "cold symptoms" and it may mess up the dex readings.

8. Theo's dad Joe

This is interesting. The flonase makes sense, but I have seen non-D individuals have fasting blood sugar run 25 points higher (110 versus 85) on pseudoephedrine. (then again, its similar to having a bug). Does anyone notice any effect from caffeine?

Anyway, with pseudoephedrine, I would still be careful for dehydration and getting low on electrolytes. It is a powerful diuretic, and just drinking water to match can leave people low on salts.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I have one on Flonase right now and saw no impact at all on BG's.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Why in the world would you be tracking bg in a non-D person taking pseudoephedrine? And then being concerned or even finding it interesting when the "variance" was within the margin of error for the average meter?

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

The only medication we ever had an issue with was nyquil, it has something like 25g of carbs or some large amount and we hadn't bolused for it. Otherwise anything else has been fine and our docs have said not to worry.

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

This is ridiculous. Firstly, 85 vs 110 in a non-diabetic is a senseless comparison. I mean, unless you have a CGM on a non-diabetic you can't even know if it correlates with the medication. Secondly, statistically it's barely a reliably measurable difference with blood glucose meters if at all so correlating it with medication is just nonsense or, nonscience. Why are you testing non-D individuals in the first place - not that it matters to me ... just curious.

13. Theo's dad Joe

So your post shows that you don't have any frame of reference for this discussion.

Believe me, the measurements were accurate, not senseless, not ridiculous, demonstrated correlation, predicted effect, had mechanistic framework for cause and effect, were reliable, and were science which you have had trouble identifying in the past.
    Effects of Pseudo, ephedra, "stack", etc were major sports med research topics 20 years ago. The beta adrenergic response/catacholamines method of effect is largely to reduce insulin sensitivity in the short term.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/images/tools/druglistaffectingbloodglucose.pdf
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/pseudoephedrine-oral-route/before-using/drg-20067942
    http://www.drugs.com/cdi/pseudoephedrine.html
    I've gotten a bunch more notes in my PM box telling me to ignore you and Chris, by "name" or other identifier maybe I should listen.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

The internet was made for people like you.

Seriously dude, I don't think you even have a D kid.

15. Theo's dad Joe

I don't know why you made either of your posts Sarah. Pseudoephedrine is well known to raise blood sugar by reducing insulin sensitivity for several hours. It is mentioned to do so on several real diabetes related sources. I specifically studied this effect on people in a lab setting at a major research site.

I get PMs every day or two telling me to ignore Christopher and "Swellman" and telling me that they need to be put in their place and can't admit their (frequent) mistakes, and to not judge everyone else on this site by those two individuals. And those PMs always refer to those two as "bullies", "can't admit they are wrong" and "need to be put in their place more often" time and time again.

Can you tell me what was "wrong" with my post that got you all riled up? Take it or leave it but your posts are both pure passive aggression "why in the world would you research a mainstream scientific topic?" etc. etc.

It is funny but I blocked the people the first or second day I was here that I ended up getting PMed about all the time. I should stop peeking.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

See, a real parent of a CWD would be indignant, furious, enraged at the suggestion that they had imagined their D kid. You? Not so much. That's all I need to know.

17. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Well, and the ever popular PM references.

18. Theo's dad Joe

Because I try not to respond to hurtful attacks with more hurt. You clearly wanted to intentionally hurt my feelings. I'm not going to let you make me into an angry person. And this post is more of the same. I give you an honest response (twice) and ignore your painful remarks, and you give me what another hurtful response. I wouldn't have even come back if you hadn't said I was making up my son's condition, and I just assume that its the lowest of the low response you can possibly think to use to turn things emotional when you can't make sense. You are a bad, bad person for doing it and I hoped I had somehow misunderstood because I couldn't imagine someone really saying that and meaning it here.

You make a personal attack admittedly designed to make me "furious", that contributes nothing to the OP's topic, and you think that my post is what's unusual around here?
    Why would I give an emotional response to someone who's goal is to make me mad, and who therefore does not matter to me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

As to the effect of medications, some people can take them without any impact on blood glucose. I do try to keep mine away from anything with acetaminophen because of the Dexcom warnings, but when he has taken it, we see no impact on #s. We do see issues with steroids and Bactrim (antibiotic).

We've had some success with the various Mucinex products for congestion and/or cough.

20. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Bactrim caused issues for my dd as well. The Dex graph was very similar to one while on prednisone. The effect was that drastic.

We've had no issues with most of the meds said to raise BG, including Accutane, Symbicort, & albuterol. For colds, we use Mucinex for chest congestion or Sudafed for sinus congestion/runny nose, both recommended by the endo. She takes Claritin D regularly with no effects.