- advertisement -

I think my son is developing diabetes

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cate, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee

Lee Approved members

VERY normal!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Just wanted to say, the symptoms of diabetes are caused BY the high blood glucose. Diabetes isn't an illness where you might get the symptoms, and then the high BG comes a couple of weeks later. If he doesn't have high blood glucose at the time of excessive urination, it is being caused by something else, and you need to find out what it is. Good luck, I hope you find the answers you need, and let us know what's going on.

3. allisa

allisa Approved members

Very simply & well said....

I have tried to summise this on several other posts....and my answer is usually long winded and involved.....but you did it accurately !!

We a see a lot of posts where people are concerned about the urination & driniking....but if there is NO elevated glucose levels @ the same time.....then......Diabetes doesn't seem to be the answer....

4. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thank you for the explanation. I had read that initially but then as his symptoms persisted I kept digging deeper. I am sure you can understand that I want to find an answer. I don't want him to have diabetes but I want an answer! I keep praying that it will go away, first of all, but if not that we can find an answer soon. Also, I read that it is better to catch it early...so of course this makes me panic a bit.

So, in doing more research I have read that it is possible to miss the high glucose because it fluctuates as the pancreas still functions. The fasting levels will especially be normal. His symptoms always get worse as the day progresses. Then I read about a woman whose daughter had these symptoms for seven months and also tested negative for diabetes. The daughter unfortunately does have diabetes.

Doesn't the excess urination get rid of the glucose? Also, doesn't the exercise get rid of extra glucose? But then eventually the body can't keep up as the pancreas function fails more? This is all hypothetical I know.

A couple of weeks ago my son's urination became even more urgent. That is when he wet his pants and started to wet them on several occasions. He would urinate and then we would get in the car. Ten minutes later he would be crying for me to pull over because he couldn't wait. We pulled over and I watched to see how much came out. It was a surprising amount. So that lasted over the weekend and then he returned to "norm" again. Not the extreme urgency, just the normal 20 times a day. So it is times like this that I return to thinking he could be developing diabetes. His glucose was not tested during this time, it would have been good to see what it was. We have only tested his blood this last week and then the prior tests that were spread throughout the past 3 months, mostly in the beginning.

Also, he went through a time of this in November. Then it stopped. We took a long road trip to Mexico and we definately would have noticed these symptoms. We made no dietary changes or anything. His symptoms returned in March. In April we went to Wyoming and the symptoms were really bad. In fact, there were worse. He wasn't getting nearly as much exercise and he was an emotional wreck, his emotions were like a two year old. I couldn't reason with him. Again, this is all very hypothetical.

So, I apologize for the length of this thread. You have all been very kind to let me talk this over with you. I should just leave you all alone now and take my "hypotheticals" elsewhere. If anything points to diabetes in the future I will post.

Thank you again for putting up with me. :)

5. Colleen

Colleen Approved members

How did the ultrasound turn out?

6. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

another possibility

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I haven't read all the posts. Has he, by chance, been checked for worms? If he's constantly hungry and not gaining weight it could be intestinal worms. Headaches are also a result of not getting needed nutrients. This happened to my son's friend... he got them from playing in the dirt.

7. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

My dd had frequent urination for a few days, then it would go, come back, etc., about 3 weeks. Her A1c was higher than normal though at dx. It's a good diagnostic test.
    There are other possibilities though for your son, it may not be diabetes, but keep a log of the frequent urnination, other pertinent issues, and see if they want you to see an urologist, or what the next step is.

8. Cate

Cate Approved members

Hello--- thanks for checking on us! I was trying to wait to post unless it pertained directly to diabetes.

The ultrasound was normal so that was great.

We have checked for worms and parasites as we visit rural Mexico often. He checked out fine there.

He even has had a few intermittent days, only recently, w/o the frequent urination. I was getting pretty excited but then he would have a bad day.

This is the odd thing though. At the recommendation of a few moms I bought ketone strips. The times I have checked him he was negative and then once trace. Well, after one of the days when he hardly peed at all, like five times only it seemed, I smelled his breath from a few feet away. I checked him for ketones and he had a small amount. There were no symptoms of a cold or anything.

So, to me this could mean one of many things. He is not low carbing at all.
    For some reason his body was in "starvation" mode. Hyperthyroidism? Maybe allergies (although he tested negative)? Or slow onset of diabetes? I know there are lots of reasons he could have a had a little ketones. Just another observation.

One more thing. My son eats a LOT of Dillweed. He has every summer when he grows his own pot of it. He is just cute that way. Well, his plant just grew enough where he could eat a lot. Just by chance I saw that it supports the pancreas. Just another hypothesis.

Thanks for checking on him, we are still just observing him and eliminating things.
    Any other ideas would be appreciated.

9. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

What did the doctor say about your observations? Does have a kidney problem perhaps? Have they investigated that?
    What was his A1C? It seems odd that he would be checked for allergies (expensive) and parasties, but not a simple blood test for A1c.

10. Cate

Cate Approved members

Sorry, I forgot to mention last night that he has had a very normal A1C result in May, 5.1. It is a few pages back in the thread.

His other blood glucose readings have all come back normal as well. The highest number we had was after I gave him juice and he was 149. I have not been doing a lot of experimenting with that. I have not bought more test strips since the general consensus is saying that he could not have diabetes.

Can anyone explain their thoughts on the small ketones we found? It is not the first time I have smelled that odor in his breath. It comes and goes.

Also, a friend recommended I call this small town clinic doctor who specializes in endocrine problems. I can ask about thyroid, etc.

11. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Non-diabetics develop ketones - they are not a diabetic thing. You son may be eating a lot of carbs, but if he is growing or exercising a ton and burning more carbs than he is consuming, he could develop ketones. Emma gets starvation ketones easily and in growth spurts or illness, she gets them even when her BGs are normal

12. Cate

Cate Approved members

Okay, that reminds me that I need to measure him to see if he has grown. He hasn't gained any weight but he could have grown.

I don't know what to think. He just has this funny way of acting totally desperate for food and water. He has to have it right then. He also has a horrible time falling asleep at night, he just can't calm down. So that with the other symptoms makes me worried.
    I don't know what to think!
    Maybe I should cool down again and just watch him. Actually he is with his grandparents for a couple of days so maybe we can see if this is behavior related.

13. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

The only way to diagnose diabetes is through your doctor. We can't do it here.

For parents, if you think your child has diabetes, take your child to the doctor. The diagnostic tests for type 1 diabetes are simple and very well understood.

We've had a few too many long threads like this recently. Some have proven to be the work of bored teenagers. I'm closing this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.