- advertisement -

I think my son is developing diabetes

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cate, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have never heard of a diabetes diagnosis without high blood sugar. An A1c is not used to diagnose diabetes.

Something else is wrong with your child and I hope the doctors can determine what is wrong.

2. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thank you Amy...I hope so too.
    The A1C came back very normal/ low at 5.1 so the doctor is meeting with other doctors to get some ideas.
    Thank you for allowing me on your forum. I admire all of your strength as parents of kids with diabetes.

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

The reason the endo has not dx Riley is because her A1C is still within the normal range. Her bs have been over 450 and even though the endo thinks it is d as long as her A1C is good there is nothing they can do at this time.

4. Kalebsmom

Riley's first one was 5.8 she had a second one done and I can not remember what it was, but it was a tad lower.

5. Cate

Cate Approved members

Hello--
    I have been lurking around here a lot as my son still has the symptoms and has gotten worse in some ways. I will go ahead and post what his symptoms are again.
    Starting in Nov. he has been urinating and drinking frequently. He stopped this and then started again in March. He is also very hungry and gets upset if he doesn't have food right away when he asks.
    He has only lost .5 lb since March. He has headaches most afternoons, circles under his eyes and even tingly feet. He has even wet his pants during the day.
    On a positive note we homeschool and he able to be extremely active. He will jump on the trampoline many times a day.
    We have ruled out allergies and parasites.
    My doctor thinks he may have "extraordinary daytime urinary frequency syndrome" but the only symptom this represents is frequent urination.
    So, here we are. I have gotten affirmation from other mothers that kids can in fact test negative for diabetes while displaying the symptoms. So I am still watching him like a hawk.
    I finally bought a meter, free with rebates.
    I tested him today and 30 minutes after 1/2 a bottle of Juice Squeeze he tested at 149. After an hour he was 106. I know the first number is not really high but can anyone give me their opinion on the number? He was also nauseated after drinking only 1/2 the bottle and very emotional.
    Thank you for any insight.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Those are perfectly good numbers. :)

Could he have been emotional knowing that you were going to poke him?

7. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Cate, and welcome to CWD. I think your son needs to be seen by his pediatrician. The #s seem fine to me but that way it could put your mind at rest. Good luck:)

8. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Did they test for wheat allergy or Celiac? You mention allergy testing, but did they do a ttg and other Celiac tests? There is a difference.

9. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Yes, he has been tested for celiac. All of the allergy tests came back fine.
    You can read back through the thread and see all of the tests I have had.

Jcanolson, what is a ttg?

He has tested negative to all diabetes tests as well. I know you may be thinking "just be thankful". I am thankful in a sense. I also just want to know what this is. I have to watch the symptoms day in and day out. He urinates 20+ times a day and it is not just a dribble. It is a good steady stream most of the time. He is very skinny. My other kids still have baby fat (9 and 4) The son in question is 6.

My doctor wants to do an ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys. I believe he wants this to confirm the "daytime urinary..." thing I mentioned above.
    It seems silly but I know maybe I should just do it.
    My son is also getting up at night to pee, just one or two times. So it is not just "daytime".

I don't know when to push for a referral to an endo. My doctor doesn't like the idea when I have mentioned it. Maybe he is right??

We are not hypochondriacs either. My 4 yo has never been to the doctor. My 9 yo hasn't been in 5+ years.

Another thing, he is my most hyper child, he can't control himself in situations when he has to be still.

Frizzyrazzy...you may be right about him being emotional because of the pending tests but I just don't know. He was pale and nauseous from the juice and just easily upset.

Thank you for letting me vent...I am just really wanting answers.

10. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Celiac is not an allergy. It is an auto-immune disease. The ttg is the main blood test that is used to initially for Celiac. If the ttg and other Celiac tests come back positive then an endoscopy is used to make an official diagnosis. Allergy testing does not cover Celiac.

11. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thank you...I have kept it in the back of my mind to experiment more with gluten, despite the test results.

And you are right, "God is good all of the time". He will use whatever is happening for good!

12. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I would go ahead with the ultrasound test and ask for a referall to a urologist. I remember when Alex was showing his symptoms for D, a friend told me that her son had some illness that caused him to urinate very often. I remember going into the Dr just hoping it would be that although all the symptoms looked like diabetes (according to the internet). I don't remember the name of her son's illness but she took him to a urologist and it was a relatively simple illness to cure.

13. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to follow through with a test your dr is suggesting that may uncover the cause of your son's problem.

Do the ultrasound.

14. Cate

Cate Approved members

You are all right I should definately do the ultrasound.
    The doctor wanted to test for the "extraordinary...." which just goes away by itself anyway. That would be great, I just didn't quite see the need to test for it. Other people did not do ultrasounds when their kids had this syndrome.
    I guess it is still good to know for sure. It might also not hurt to have a look at the kidneys or to see if there is another abnormality with the bladder.
    Like I said, he has a lot more symptoms then just excessive urination. Maybe they are just coincidental?
    With the syndrome there is also only a small amount of pee and it can be every ten minutes.
    If you don't mind I will let you know what happens.

15. Kalebsmom

Cate
    I am sorry that your son is still not feeling very well. I would also say do the ultrasound and see if it shows anything.

Are you still limiting your son's diet?

16. DListMom

DListMom Approved members

Hi Cate,
    I am so sorry you are going through something like this with your 6 year old boy. He does have the classic symptoms of a diabetic but not according to his test results. This sounds like something we would see on "Mystery Diagnosis". As a mom with a diabetic daughter, I would do exactly what you're doing. Your instincts and his patterns are telling you there is something wrong and you are most probably right. Keep trying, keep finding a doctor who will really help figure out what's really wrong.
    Take care!

17. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thank you so much for your concern. It has been very upsetting. I have so much sympathy for all of you as I know you deal with it daily.

I am not restricting his diet except for excess sugar. I will take him off of gluten again if this isn't resolved soon.

I am thinking of testing his morning glucose level before he gets out of bed. Another mom suggested that I do this.

Thanks again

18. Cate

Cate Approved members

Oh, and I did schedule the ultrasound for the 22nd!

19. Lee

Lee Approved members

20. Cate

Cate Approved members

No, we haven't. I will bring it up next time I see the Dr.
    I have looked into it, but it didn't account for his other symptoms. I will keep it in mind, thank you.:)

His blood glucose before he got up this morning was 90. Very normal right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.