- advertisement -

I think my son is developing diabetes

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Cate, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cate

Cate Approved members

Hello, I should have posted weeks ago because I have spent a lot of time searching for answers in other posts!
    My son has been displaying classic symptoms for six weeks. However, all of his blood tests have come back normal. He has had a fasting test, post meal test, GTT and urine test. All normal. I believe if I could have done one of these test in the afternoon (all were done in AM), after a high carb meal, he would've had higher readings. His symptoms are always worse in the afternoon.

About my sweet son: He is 6 yo and his symptoms are as follows: skinny and always hungry. He has not gained an ounce in five weeks. At a party Sat. he parked by the chip bowl and ate like he was starving. At one point he was peeing 20 times a day. Usually drinking water each time he headed to the bathroom. He has dark circles under his eyes. He gets very irritable, especially as the day goes on. The last three days he has complained about his head hurting.

So, here is my issue. I have had to push at every step with the doctor. I am sure he will think I am crazy to request any more tests. Should I just wait and see if he gets worse or should I ask for a different test? Should I push to meet with an endo.?

In the meantime we have him off of gluten and sugar. This definately helps the symptoms. We are probably still feeding him too many carbs. I like to think that I could stop the progression by adopting some healthier habits. I am also giving him two fish oil pills per day. Should I just wait and see? Would it be wise to catch it early?

Thank you so much. I can't believe it just now occured to me that I should check with the experts after doing countless google searches. ;)

2. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

What have his bg (blood glucose) readings been? Many times doctors will not diagnose a child until they are over 200 (and sometimes that doesn't even do the trick if you read here!). Have you checked for ketones? You can get ketostix to check for that in the urine. I'm not sure if that is for prescription only, though. Ketones are the thing to watch for as they are what can cause the most problems. I'm sorry you've had to push the doctors. Hopefully you can figure out something soon!

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Unless your child has high blood sugar, be glad he can't be dx'd with diabetes. There is something wrong with him. It is not normal for a child to be tired and to drink and urinate a lot. Is he doing this all the time but only in the evenings? Most of our children were tired all the time and urinated and drank all the time, not just in the evenings.

There have been several posters who come to this forum with a similar complaint.

I would encourage your child's pediatrician to continue looking for the cause of the symptoms.

4. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

These are also symptoms of diabetes insipidus, which would occur without high blood sugar readings. Have they checked for that?

http://www.diabetesinsipidus.org/symptomsofdi.htm

ETA: Actually, that would only address the excessive thirst, not the hunger.

5. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thank you for your replies. I am definately glad he has not been diagnosed. I am just worried, especially because of the headaches the last three days (not severe, and not all day) and it seems like his hunger is worse. I was wanting to see if other kids had similar exp. and/or should I be pushing for more tests. (have other children had normal blood tests and then later been diagnosed?)

We have not checked for the Diabetes Insip. I read about it and it didn't seem to apply, not sure why now. I will look into it more.

His symptoms are all day, just worse at night.

His numbers have been very normal. His fasting before GTT was 74, an hour into the GTT it was 87. His post meal test before was 125.

That is a good idea to get the ketostix! I can probably find them at any pharm?

We are checking for allergies since I heard that gluten allergy can cause people to urinate frequently. He has only been off gluten for two weeks. The allergy tests aren't back yet.

Thanks again, you are a wonderful group.

6. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

Headaches were not a symptom prior to our diagnosis.

7. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

sounds like his glucose levels are great.

I have a friend who has celiac and she had symptoms that you described, she even had ketones. She was drinking insane amounts of water and not gaining weight too. The ketones were from her body not absorbing nutrients, I believe. It took years for her to be dx'd with celiac.

8. Cate

Cate Approved members

Then I should just calm down and wait for his allergy tests to come back. That reminds me, I became aware that he has had very pale stools. He said that it is not every time. This would point to an allergy also I believe.

I guess what threw me off again was that I noticed he peed more frequently after having sugar (he was still peeing a lot but it had quieted down some). When his last blood sugar test came back normal we figured he could have some sugar again. He had some small candies and then ice cream after dinner. Two days of this and he was back to his very frequent urination (every 20-30 minutes). So we immed. took away sugar again. My husband is working out of town and I have been laying in bed thinking about all of this. I don't even want to bring up diabetes with my husband again without a good reason. That is why I turned to this forum. I am so sorry that you have to deal with this on a daily basis, I can only imagine how hard it must be. It is nice to see parents who are so active in helping their children.

9. Cate

Cate Approved members

One more thing, he does have an odd smell to his breath. I have compared it to my other two kids' breath. It only smelled sweet one time. The other times it just smells strong. I am not sure how to describe it. Could this be from ketones due to possible celiac?
    Thanks.

10. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

ketones can cause strange smelling breath.

I don't know a lot about ketones as we've never had them, but like I mentioned, my friend with celiac had them. Her dr never did anything about them, I'm not sure why.

Glad we could be of some help here.:cwds:

11. buggle

buggle Approved members

When was the test for Celiac? If he has it, the test will not positive if he's been off gluten.

I hope you find what's wrong, but it doesn't sound like diabetes to me either.

12. Cate

Cate Approved members

Oh great! I hope the test is accurate. He had a test using the ELISA method, which is supposed to be good.

Your posts are also helping me reword my original question. Would my son's tests still show high blood sugar even in the early stages of diabetes? I have seen some diagnosis stories telling how people experience symptoms for months before a diagnosis. This got me worried again thinking it would be beneficial to catch it early.

Any thoughts on that? Thank you

13. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Early simptoms

Cate: For months our 9 year old child was OK, but he started to pee in bed, which we addressed telling him to remember to go to the bathroom before bed. This started be more and more often (first like once a month, then every two weeks for a while, we thought it was some kind of regression, and even looked for a psicologist!), his breath was strong, like nail polish remover, and then one week started to take huge amounts of water non stop, desperate, loosing appetite, and eventually stopping being active and staying very quiet. Eventually the doctor (suffice to say she got fired from our family practice) then asked for some tests, and we found a BG of 500+, and most important, a1C of 12.5%. He ended up in ICU for 2 days. That's how it started. My 5 cents worth: Ask for an a1C test, because if the diabetes is starting, you might still have low BGs (pancreas still working somehow), but a1C will show how this work has been doing through the last 3 months or so. Even if your BG is low, a high a1C might give you a yellow light. What to do then: What I did was to go to phase 3 drug trial -I'll pass you the info if you want me to, or look at my other posts-. If this is not an option, at least you can start controlling the diabetes from early, and save the child the experience to get to the ICU and spend a week in hospital until his values go back to normal. And if you are not happy with the doctor, just get a second opinion. Perhaps you're using a general practitioner, and you should be derived to a child endocrinologist. One thing I regret today -not that you can do much about diabetes itself- is not having a doctor that hit the nail earlier. I'd save the boy the ICU, which was not a nice experience. All the best to you and I cross my fingers to be all a false alarm!

14. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thanks....I had actually asked for the A1C but the doctor suggested a GTT instead.

Was you son's blood tested prior to diagnosis?

I hope that I will be able to at least help somebody else in the future with all of the info I have learned!

Also-- my son is more lethargic (it could be the warmer weather) today and is complaining that his head hurts again.

15. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

No tests prior to diagnosis

Cate: No, the (former) doctor just tried pills and vitamins, and stuff, and tests were left for the very last. Furthermore, when he landed in ICU was at the suggestion of the lab guy who looked at the tests and said go right now to the children's hospital, which we did rather than waiting till next appointment. Anyway, I'd insist to talk with an endo, he might look for more specifics signs.

16. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

It sounds like you are very aware of the symptoms to look out for. It is good that his numbers are normal, but it is still odd that he has all of the signs of diabetes.

My daughter has been having all of the classic signs as well. The only difference is her blood sugars have been as high as 456. My son's endo still will not dx my daughter.

I would also ask for an A1C and see what it shows.

Best of luck.

17. Cate

Cate Approved members

Kalebsmom--- Why will they not diagnose your daughter? (Not that you want that)

P.S. This is VERY rare for my family. We hardly ever go to the doctor. I keep having to tell this to myself, I know I am not crazy!

18. debbiefran

debbiefran Approved members

Have you had your child tested for Hyperthyroidism... The symptoms are similar to diabetes.. When I was in my twenties I thought that I may have had some symptoms of diabetes so i went to my family doctor and ran some blood tests.. They tested for diabetes and it came back negative but tested for hyperthyroidism and was tested positive.... I lost 10 lbs in a few weeks and was thirsty all the time and felt extremely tired... Once I got the proper treatment I gained back the weight and wasn't extremely thirsty...

19. Cate

Cate Approved members

Thanks for the suggestion Debbiefran--- I am considering just asking my doctor for a referral to an endocrinologist after the allergy tests come back. He mentioned a referral to an urologist but I don't think that would cover all of my son's symptoms.

20. Cate

Cate Approved members

My son's allergy tests came back negative. I know this is good but I think I was really hoping for a definitive answer. I realize that the celiac test is a hard one and maybe the results were wrong?? My son had been off wheat for five days already before the test. The doctor said he still would have had antibodies in his blood even after five days w/o wheat and so he thinks the tests were good.
    He is going to consult with his partner about what to do next. In the meantime he ordered an A1C to see if maybe we can really "shut the door" on the diabetes possibility.
    Looking back at pictures I think my son has been going through something for more than 6-7 weeks. My eight year old son still has baby fat. My 6 yo in question has been a skinny thing for closer to a year.
    Well, thanks for letting me ramble!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.