- advertisement -

I think I might think about/worry about D too much...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by chkpea, Oct 31, 2010.

1. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

I am sitting here while the kids are out with my dh trick and treating and I have a knot in my stomach. I think about D a lot. I am not sure if this is normal or if is overboard worrying. Does the worrying affect my life? I guess. Should I go and talk to someone? probably. Our social worker with our d centre is not exactly my cup of tea. Any ideas would be great appreciated.

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

I didn't worry about trick or treating last night but that may have been because I took the kids. DH wouldn't have been able to balance the exercise vs. candy issue.

But I think about D a lot too. I think it is normal. After all, I check DS's BG every three hours, if he feels low and when he eats. I figure carbs when he eats, etc. Doesn't give a lot of time to not think about it.

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

An encouraging word to let you know it gets better over the years. When my son was a baby with D, I thought about it ALL the time because he didn't have a voice. He is now 10 years old, has had D for 9 1/2 years and is very aware of himself and quite responsible. I don't have to think about it every second of the day now because I know that if he feels low, he'll say something and take steps to deal with it himself. He knows how to count carbs and bolus, he knows how to check blood sugar and calibrate the CGMS.

I do a lot of D care and responsibility, but I don't have to worry about it so much anymore.

HTH!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I used to think/obscess/worry about d alot of the time too in the beginning. I think alot of my problem was that I was home with Steven during the day, all day, every day. When he started pre-school at age 4 he was out of the house 3 mornings a week. Then I got a part-time job when he was in 1st grade and that help immensely to get my mind off of d for a few more hours each day.

I should post some of the notes from his log books back then:rolleyes: Our former endo used to bust my butt about the notes I'd write down. I dont even know why i wrote alot of them:confused: Stuff like, "went to McDonalds today" or "Steven was real gassy today" Im not sure why I did that but part of it was because I had the time I guess. And my diabetes books, I would pour over them daily, trying to see if I'd missed anything.

Does it help you to come here and post your concerns or in FB? Are there any support groups near by for families of CWD? Is James in school at all yet?

5. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I worried a lot more in the beginning. Now I am not so overwhelmed with D. I also realized I am a mom not a pancreas.

6. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

yes I suppose it hwas a lot to do with his age, and that I am at home. James goes to school in the afternoon - for 2 1/2 hours a day. During that time I work for my dh's company - at home, run errands, exercise.

Becky are you still working parttime or are you full time now?

7. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie was dxd at 4.
    The first few years, I wouldn't say I, "worried" constantly, but I was actively engaged in D 24/7 in a way that I am no longer. And I'd get that, "fear in the pit of my stomach" when the check-in call didn't come on time.
    That began to change in a big way when she was around 8 or 9 years old. And now, she's almost 13, while I'm very involved in her D stuff, I can go hours without thinking about D.:cool: And even longer, far longer without the big "worry" coming over me.
    All I can say, is that with younger kids, I think it's pretty normal to be hyper-engaged, an thus likely to be anxious when routine isn't followed.
    It can't hurt to talk to a counselor of some sort. I don't think the person really need to know about D. They just need to be trained to understand stress, trauma and family issues, and moreover you have to like them and feel comfortable with them.
    Hope you find some relief soon.

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I think it is normal to think about D alot, esp with such a young child. But if the worrying is worrying you, then maybe you do need to find a way to deal with it. You could find a licensed counsellor that is not connected to your endo's office. Often insurance will cover this. Or maybe you just need to find a few people you can talk to (verbally, not just typing on this group) regularily...whether about D or just about other stuff. Or maybe you need to find a hobby to help distract you some.....scrapbooking is a good one.

9. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Actually I was laid off from the job in Feb of 09 so am home all day again. But hoping to find something else part time soon.

10. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

It will be two years into this journey for us at the end of this month. D is still my last thought before sleep and my first thought upon waking. :cwds:

It's less worry for me at this point - more like frustration, anger and weariness. :(