- advertisement -

i think i just lost 10 years of my life and i will have this womans job

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mistync991, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Misty, you have more control than I, because I would have sat in that Principal's office and not moved until I was satisfied with the answers they gave me.

I've been thinking about you all day, and just thinking how lucky it is that you know what you are doing.

2. r'sister

r'sister Approved members

Has there been any update to this?

3. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

I was just wondering the same thing....

4. joan

joan Approved members

I just read through this post and am saddened that this child had to endure this because of some ones lack of knowledge and and gross negligence. The nurse needs to have some disciplinary action. I think this is a good lesson to teach our children that only certain people should be allowed to touch their pumps when they are at school. What also saddens me is the anger and violence some of the other parents responding want to inflict on this nurse. It seems so vengeful and hateful.

5. linda

linda Approved members

Sooo scary!!! Mini Gluc. maybe good idea...but curious if realy trying to chase a low...why not fast acting glutabs instaed of milk-food etc. I know Em would get nauscious after 1 treat being forced fed:( Hope you get more help at school!!!!;)

6. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

Just saw this, Misty! I'm sorry you've all had to go through this!! Any update on how things went with the principal, nursing board, etc?

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

just a quick update

things are going better they lady was replaced and i do know that she recieved training from the animas rep on friday but im not sure what other action has been taken ...last week was so crazy i didnt have time to deal with anything i didnt have to but this week im going to get the complaint filed with the nursing board and follow up with her supervisor to see what is going on

i did go and have taylor's pump dl'd fri. and she was given over 36 units and the only reason it was not more was because the cartridge ran out it showed 2 alarms one for low cartridge while this was going on and then a second for empty

as far as the glucose tabs the pp mentioned dd will not eat them and she was not force fed really but after the first bit of carbs i just kept trying to get her to eat every little bit

8. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

definitely follow up, let them know that this nurse needs disiplinary action, not just to be moved.. I still can't believe this happened, some people!

9. selketine

selketine Approved members

Thank goodness the pump cartridge wasn't full - she would have probably primed the entire bit into her.

I think this nurse should have her license revoked. That was a serious mistake and potentially fatal. And she showed bad judgment in the first place by taking the battery out "just to see it."

10. Mistync991

oh when i talked to the animas rep about her and he was telling me about training her fri. he said when they got to the part about the batterie they just said we dont need to know that we wont be messing with that part anymore

11. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

The woman's license needs to be revoked. Pure and simple. She's dangerous.

12. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Is the nurse even aware of what she did and what might have happened?

Including what might have happened if you hadn't figured out what she did with priming the 36 units and what might have happened if the reservoir had been more full?

Has she apologized at least?

btw - The part that makes my daughter the angriest is that your daughter was called in from recess just to satisfy this woman's curiosity. Like some kind of novelty.

13. tjirvin314

tjirvin314 Approved members

Wow!

As a nurse and a mom of a t1, all I can say is WOW! This is horrible, people like this give nurses a bad reputation!!
    Just a side note: God forbid anything like this happens again, but anytime someone has an accidental isulin overdose (ie give 7 units of humalog instead of Lantus etc) you may consider low dose glucagon given with an insulin syringe, especially helpful if your child wont eat or really cant handle anymore glucose tabs, you'd have to contact your dr for specific dosing based on the situation, but I know if you search mini dose glucagon on the cwd website there is a page regarding it....
    http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_0j_20w.htm

14. KitKat

KitKat Approved members

I am with Jacob's Dad (Dave)...

I would document everything.
    I would get a no-contact order.
    I would contact the nursing board and tell them about this nurse.
    I would seek legal advice.
    I would make sure EVERYONE, school board, super, principal, teachers....anyone who will listen at your school about how this woman almost killed your daughter. Thank God you were on the phone or this could have been tragic.

Prayers and hugs to you both.

15. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

All I can say is, WOW!! :eek::eek: Makes me all the more glad we homeschool!! ;)

16. Mistync991

the nurse has been removed from the school but is still working ...her supervisor told me diciplinary action was taken but she could not go into detail about it and also ask me if i was planing on taking any other action personally and that if i didnt want to answer that just to tell her ...i told her yes i was filing a complaint with the nc board of nursing that was part of why i had called her again, to get the correct spelling of the lady's last name to which she said thank you for answering you didnt have to but i just want to be prepaired should she loose her license so that we can replace her....

ok seriously if she thought this lady has the strong possibility of loosing her license they why havent you put her on suspension or at least put her on it untill she went to the training last friday with the animas rep ..at the very least! she is still over another nurse that is placed in a near by school for another child with d

wonder how long it will take the nursing board to act on this and what the outcome will be

17. alongoria

alongoria Approved members

Did you call the board of nursing in your state yet. They can punish her as well. Nevermind I just read that you did!

Autumn

18. Toni

Toni Banned

If you are depending on the Nursing Board alone to discipline this nurse..... well, it seems as if they are "training" her on the Animas pump! The problem was severe lack of judgment that could have led to the death of a child, not that she did not have proper training. I am very sorry you did not have her sent to the ER and placed on a glucose drip instead of handling it yourself at home (although this was much less traumatic for your daughter) because this would have been documented in the ER. The nurse is very fortunate you did not go to the ER. Download the information on the pump, and seek legal action. This woman is still on the loose! P.S. The reason the school asked you if you were seeking legal action is because they had every intention of pushing this under the rug. If they knew you were seeking legal action, they would not be able to handle the situation they way they are doing, they know it, and they may have removed the nurse then and there as she is a liability. I do not think they realize the seriousness of what transpired. If they did they would have fired her. Note she would still have her nursing license, and could go practice somewhere else, but the school would have fired her.