- advertisement -

I think I am depressed.

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mmgirls, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

You all know why. I find myself 'physically sad", almost in tears. Not all the time just sometimes, but it is interferring with what I need to be doing.

There have been many times that i have gone thru phases like this, weeping about a transitional matter/issue. But this is a big one, I need to be focused on my school right now, and instead I am sleeping when I should be studying. My brain just needs the ime out. KWIM.

Do I go to my GP that I have only seen for blood work and to be set up as a patient. Or do i seek specialized care? I have been otherwise "healthy", but have allot of "past issues" that realllyhave never been dealt with and make it so easy for me to go "there".

I might as well put it ALL out there.

I also feel that i have always had some sort of ADD or ADHD, who do I see to address everything? I mean if I am going to see someone for this then I should address everything, right?

2. valerie-k

valerie-k Approved members

Well, I see my general dr for my depression needs. I take meds for it, two types of antidepressants. My husband, who has ADHD, also saw our regular dr for his needs. However, he has choosen a different route then the meds, which did work for him, becouse they are a severe pain to get. I would suggest going to your regular dr, and they can direct you to someone else if they feel that it would be better for you. Perhaps you are just in need of counseling and someone to talk to, and maybe someone who can help you with the focus part of your ADHD.

I know that there are some types of holistic herbs that can really help as well, melatonin for a good nights sleep is one, and st johns wart for your feelings is another. Im sure there are others, those are just the two I know about. You have taken the first major step- acknowleging your feelings and wanting to get help for them. :cwds:

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

:( I am sorry...depression sucks! I would start with your gp....as you might need a referral. If you do need any meds they might be able to help or they may refer you to a psychiatrist. If you thinks med are not what you need, maybe it would help to talk to a counselor. Or go for both....that's what I am doing. :rolleyes: Either way acknowledging you need help is a HUGE step. Make a call tomorrow you can't go wrong by asking for help. Big hugs!

4. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

I had similar issues a couple of years ago. I had a GP who I only saw for yearly exams and I went to her and told her I was feeling off, sad all the time, unhappy most of the time, tired all of the time, etc... I actually broke down crying in front of her for no reason. She said that I had all the classic symptoms of depression and she prescribed Welbutrin. I started it and a few weeks later the difference was very noticeable. I was feeling like myself again. I still had the same stresses, but the medication helped me cope with them. I think it was 4 or 5 months later that I decided to stop the medication...with great results. I think my body just needed the kick start to get back to normal. Maybe all you need is the same 'kick start' I needed and then once that is taken care of you can focus on the ADHD issuse.

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

http://www.hcp.med.harvard.edu/ncs/ftpdir/adhd/18 Question ADHD-ASRS-v1-1.pdf

A check list like this is what your doctor will have you fill out to determine if you have ADD.

Talking to a counsellor is always a good idea. You know yourself, but I don't think it counts as depression when you have good reason to feel so sad. Menopause and peri-menopause (starts 10 years pre) can mess with our hormones, too and our moods.

The Wellbutrin mentioned above is actually prescribed for both ADD and depression. Getting some exercise every day is prescribed for both, too as is meditation, progressive relaxation, mindfulness.

Can you get away to a library to study for a bit? I find I do better focusing in one of those little cubby-holes than at home. That's where I will be doing my taxes.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Sorry you're going through this. :(

I have MDD and I'm fairly lucky in that my GP is also a psychiatrist. I just see him for my treatment because right now counselling is not a good idea for me, and all I need someone for is to assess my symptoms, prescribe my meds and have frequent check-ups to make sure it's going okay.

Honestly I'd probably start with your general dr just so he can run bloodwork and make sure there is nothing physical going on.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I can understand the stress you are under considering your other posts. I'm so sorry. There is nothing worse in the world than feeling how you feel. I started with my GP who gave me something to get over the worst, but then referred me to a psych/counselor who then prescribed me with something for a longer term. I did need to speak with someone to help me work through some things, and it helped (for me) immensely.

8. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Start with your GP and a full physical. Discuss these issues and get a recommendation as to how to proceed.

My sil was depressed so she started taking St. John's wort. It wasn't until she started gaining weight that she ran to her doc. It turns out she had a thyroid disorder and that was what was causing her symptoms. Don't self treat. Find out if there is a medical reason other than depression for feeling crummy. Once you've rulled some stuff out, then you will know where to start and your gp will lead you in the right direction. He might prescribe something or he might recommend someone.

Btw, these are the secrets to happiness:
    1. Sleep.
    2. Eat a healthy diet.
    3. Excercise.
    4. Tribe--friends, family, church, neighbors, community, etc.
    5. Meds--if you need meds, take your meds!

If you get enough sleep, the aches, memory loss, tiredness, loss of interest, etc. will really get better. Often though, stress and anxiety prevent sleep. If you eat well, your body will feel better--aches, tiredness, will be better. If you excercise, your aches, tiredness, etc. will be better. Gathering your tribe around you will ease life's burdens and reduce stress enoumously--you NEED friends. And lastly, if you needs meds you MUST take them. Wheather it's insulin, heart medicine, depression meds, adhd meds, etc. Take your meds!

9. emm142

emm142 Approved members

^ This. Don't just take St. John's wort without medical advice.. it may be a herbal product and it may be freely available but it has interactions with many other pharmaceutical products and it's just not a good idea to take something like that without medical advice.

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

This was the first thing my doc did, ran a full blood panel.

11. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I would see my GP first. I was very depressed and it was my thyroid. I have moments now but, exercise helps me a lot. It's not a cure and I need to be watchful for any more severe symptoms but, for the most part I am ok.

You have been under a lot of stress and that could knock anyone into the abyss. Acknowledging the potential of it being a real problem is the first step. Now just don't walk away from your realization. Follow through and find the help you need!::cwds:

12. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I had blood work done within the last year, they called and said everything was good but I did not ask what the results where.

I will ask for them at my appointment on Thursday.

I am doing OK right now, not so weepy when I am talking about what is going on, but i am still having allot of problems focusing on tasks, mind drifting off to all the what ifs and should haves, OR I am just sleeping.

Honestly the sleeping so much is the biggest interference in my life right now. I used to be able to stay up late or wake up early to get some quiet studing in but I just can not do it. The overwhelming feeling of being tired wins.

13. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I got your PM but I was not able to reply? Check your box and see if it is full or the settings?

14. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Talk therapy and antidepressants are a very valuable combination! If you get an rx from your gp and it doesn't seem to work well, your might have to bite the bullet and go to a psychiatrist who might be more knowledgeable about the different drugs and dosing.

15. Daddy RRT

Daddy RRT Approved members

Yup.....been in therapy for months. Helping a little. Definitely seasonal as well. "April is the crulest month".

My depression manifests trifold: Apathy, lack of energy, and anger/rage. Of course I internalize in front of others (especially wifey & kiddos), if I lived alone my walls would be mostly joint compound. Lot's of baggage here, I was in a really good place prior to Dx. My princess getting sick was the catalyst that unleashed something ugly in me. Sometimes I feel like a doormat and could care less, other times I find myself choking on my rage at the most inconsequential things. I'd like to see a study on the life expectancy of T-1 parents, because this disease is shortening my life.

ETA: I should've mentioned that my job is not helping, it's an INCREDIBLY stressful work environment. I working to change that. I think that will help somewhat.

16. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

I think every reply has had great advice. I will just add, remember to breathe. When I feel a spiral downward coming on, I pay attention to how I feel and realize there is an ache in my chest and quick short breathes. At that point, I stop everything, go outside and just sit and breathe for a few moments. It does help. And, whenever you can find (although everyone says to make) the time just sit quietly and gather your thoughts. and breathe.

17. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Left you a visitor message....not sure what's going on with my inbox.