- advertisement -

I suppose this isn't shocking..

Discussion in 'Insurance Issues' started by chelsedin, Jan 4, 2011.

1. chelsedin

chelsedin Approved members

I copied this off the Minnesota ADA website:

Minnesota Department of Commerce Insurance Gateway - (800) 657-3602
    In Minnesota, state law allows health insurance companies to turn people down for individual health insurance coverage based on the status of their health. In most cases,diabetes is considered an ?uninsurable? condition. Even though you can be turned down for an individual policy in Minnesota, you can never be turned down for health insurance that is offered through an employer.

2. Lucky 868

Lucky 868 Approved members

I could have sworn that ObamaCare prevents health insurance companies from denying children with pre-existing conditions. We've heard so much about that on the news, but I don't remember when that requirements kicks in. You might want to do some research on ObamaCare and see if that requirement exists and when it starts. Maybe it started 1/1/11 and the Minnesota site hasn't been updated?

I gather you're currently insured by your employer. Maybe you can talk to your HR department for some advice on buying your own policy.

Just curious, what does your husband do that he isn't insured through work?

In reply to another thread you started about not checking at night - I don't check my 17 year old son at night on a regular basis. If we increase his Lantus (he's in a very strong honeymoon), we check at 2:00 a.m. the first three nights to be sure he's not going low, but other than that we make sure he goes to bed at 115 or above and we all saw logs all night. Of course, a 17 year old is quite different than an 18 month old. I hope you can nap some during the days!

Good luck with all you are learning.

Cyndy
    Mom to N, 17

3. chelsedin

chelsedin Approved members

Hi there-
    I went to a site that is supposed to calculate your possible qualifications with ObamaCare and it really didn't make sense to me. It asked a bunch of questions, and then compiled a list of "options to check out." That's what I have been doing already. :rolleyes: Anyways, I am going to try and speak with someone tomorrow about the high risk pool.
    To answer your question- DH does privately contracted security at a chain of federal buildings. So.. yeah works at a government facility, but not FOR the government, per say. :) That nice little loophole where they don't have to offer benefits. :)

4. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Employers have long known that they can save money but not offering health care - so lots of people are defined as 'independent contractors' or work 'part time' (ie. 38 hrs a week instead of 40). In every state (I think), any company that offers group health insurance to employees gets to set some of the requirements - like the number of hours per week to be eligible, length of employment, etc. Group insurance requires that the employer pay at least part of the employees premium, but the employee can be responsible for all of his/her dependents coverage. No dependent can be denied coverage in a group policy for a health problem, and they cannot be charged more.