- advertisement -

I should really know this, but, thumbs?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BittysMom, Nov 3, 2011.

1. BittysMom

BittysMom Approved members

I've never tested her thumbs. Do they count as fingers? They didn't use them in the hospital, so I never have:eek:

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I find that pricking my thumbs hurts a lot. But the readings should be fine.

3. BittysMom

I'll have to try mine to see how it feels. I could always use them in her sleep when I do her pinkys ;)(they're off limits since they're babies she says)

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Aw, that's cute. It might just be me who finds that my thumbs hurt more - my other fingers are calloused from guitar playing, so it might more be a case that I have less feeling everywhere else.

5. BittysMom

I just gave it a whirl on me, feels the same pretty much. Maybe your guitar playing does make a difference? Thanks.

6. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Pinky fingers are off-limits here, too:p. Thumbs are her favorite because they always easily give a nice big drop of blood. I

7. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

My index fingers are off limits. I use my thumbs a lot and I don't find that they hurt more than any other finger.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We were told by our D nurse not to use the index finger or the thumb because they are the main 'workers'.....:cwds:

9. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

Connor's favorite place to test is his thumbs.

10. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

We test all fingers and thumbs. I haven't noticed it being off on numbers.

11. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

I check pinky's at night..he checks thumbs during the day..he's says it feels the same as the other fingers.:cwds:

12. Ali

Ali Approved members

Oh my I learn something every day. Almost 40 years T1 and I have never tested on my thumbs. Just has never occurred to me. Shows how much certain procedures become the norm without questioning. I will give them a try. :pali

13. bryantfam

bryantfam Approved members

Herbie only uses the "three musketeers" so we've never tried pinkies or thumbs. I've never been told to avoid them, he just prefers it this way.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes, thumbs do count as fingers and are fine to use to check bg levels.

15. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

If I do the thumb, I usually do the outside, because I think the only thing that I do with the outside is hit a spacebar LOL.

16. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've never tested Selah's thumbs and never once wondered why I didn't. That's really funny. Makes me wonder what else I'm doing that I'm missing.

We test toes here, unless we're out and shoed. Even then, if we can whip those shoes and socks off and pop a toe we will. More likely to be sugar-free (although not guaranteed to be :eek:).

17. Timmy Mac

Timmy Mac Approved members

I could never prick my toes... just the thought of it makes me squirm lol. I mean, i doubt it hurts any more than fingers, but i could NEVER do that.

18. BittysMom

I guess it wasn't such a silly topic after all:) Ali, that's really funny after all those years!

We tested her thumb this morning and she didn't care. Guess they're the Grandparents of her fingers, lol. -and 94 so seemed accurate to me.

19. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

L tests the sides of her thumbs.

20. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

My daughter completely agrees with you on this, Timmy. She screamed the one time I suggested it.

As for thumbs, I remember floor patients getting fairly irate with me for trying to test a thumb. Maybe it's something that used to be suggested? We test thumbs and fingers, and pinkies tend to hurt her for some reason.

Caroline's reason for not testing pinkies is too cute!!