- advertisement -

I need your opinions on Daycare # of BG checks

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michelleissweet, Aug 21, 2008.

1. michelleissweet

michelleissweet Approved members

I know I am full of questions today!!!

Please i need your expertise/opinions on something.

Aaron attends daycare.
    I check Aaron when he awakes in morning correct if needed.
    At daycare i write down his reading and if any correction dose was given.
    Aaron eats breakfast then they dose for the carbs.
    Aaron is checked prior to lunch he eats then they give correction(if needed) and carb coverage after eating.
    He is not checked anymore from 11:15 to 5:eek:opm unless Aaron complains about stomach pain which usually means he is low.
    I am thinking of asking for Dr. Order for them to check prior to snack time after he awakes from nap because when i pick him up in the evenings he is usally high which may be from not knowing what he is prior to eating snack and then having snack whether it be 10,15,20 carbs not getting any coverage.
    AGH!!! I know once he starts school that will be a doozy!!!

2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

IMHO that is too long to go without a bg check. First I would ask if they would do it, if they refuse I would get Dr's orders. I would fully expect him to be checked upon waking and definately before a snack :eek:

3. zell828

zell828 Approved members

Breakfast is at about 7:15 in our house and we check. Then we have our daycare and school both check at 10 am, 11-12 pm (lunch), 3pm and then we get home and check at 6pm right before dinner.

4. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

Wow, if they are even willing to do bg checks and insulin, CONGRATULATIONS! If they are that cooperative, I don't see why they wouldn't add another bg check or two. Just let them know that something is going on between 11 and 5, and you want to see if you can catch it and make adjustments.

5. Charmed7

Charmed7 Approved members

We check prior to any food given, even if he's not getting insulin for the food. I would rather know what the level is in case there's a weird number. Also, if you need to make changes (like to fix his high dinner number) you are missing a big chunk of time and you can't make an educated decision on how to handle.

I would just have the doctor write up orders that he has to be checked prior to any food given.

Charmed

6. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

We just started preschool for Andy and we check in the morning before breakfast at 7:00 and they check at 9:45 (before snack), 11:45 (before lunch) and 3:15 (before snack) and we pick-up around 5:00/5:30. They would also test anytime they suspected a low or Andy asks for a test. It sounds like they're willing to work with you so an extra test in the afternoon shouldn't be a problem. Good luck!

7. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

What time is wake up/snack time?:cwds:

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Have you asked them to test him before snack? If not, then just ask politely. If you've asked and they've said no, I'd talk to them again and explain why it's needed. If they still refuse, I'd ask the Dr to write a note.

But you need to think about what you want them to do with this number if they test him. Are they suppose to give insulin? Are they suppose to limit his food? If you just want the number but won't be asking them to give insulin or adjust his snack, it may not be worth fighting them on it if they have reasons they don't want to do it.

9. tuckerk

tuckerk Approved members

Caitlin is attending Kindercare and they check her at 11:15 (lunch), 2:10(after nap/just before snack) and if they go outside for more than 30 minutes they will check her afterwards.

Honestly, I was hesitant because I thought that would be too much for them, but the center director and her teacher are a God-sent. They call after each check to confirm how to treat.

The pump has made our life easier in that regard. Before pumping, we were having the same issues of "highs in the late evening" because she was not getting checked before snack (having uncovered snack).

10. michelleissweet

Well they can't deny doing BG checks and insulin because they are a licensed daycare which means they have to follow state guidelines with children with special needs. They are just sometimes bull headed still smiles.

11. michelleissweet

Wake up snack time is 2:00 -2:15 or so.