- advertisement -

I need ideas for school lunches

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Food' started by Twinklet, May 14, 2008.

1. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

I'm running out of ideas for school lunches. Typically I pack a sandwich (PB&J or turkey/cheese) or a turkey wrap, sliced fruit and a drink. Sometimes I also put soups or whole-wheat pasta into a thermos. The kids are getting tired of the same old things, though.

Please help me with some other ideas!

2. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

Hi Andie

We homeschool but when we picnic my kids usually get some version of a ploughmans lunch:
    chicken tenders or ham cubes,
    cheese, cut veggies and dip, whole wheat crackers, fruit and nuts

other ideas
    ~ pita bread, hummus or baba ganough,
    ~ cold mini chicken legs,
    ~ mini pancakes with fruit yougurt to dip
    ~ pasta or cold rice salad
    ~ pita bread with cinnamon cream cheese and apple slices (and nuts if you can send them to school)
    ~ green salad topped with favourite toppings
    ~ veggie roll ups (diced peppers, cherry tomatoes, green onions, grated carrots, sprinkled with a bit of garlic powder on a wrap with cream cheese or shredded cheese)
    ~ yogurt and fruit parfait with granola
    ~ hard boiled or devilled eggs
    ~ fruit salad to top cottage cheese

for "sides and sweets"
    cheese cubes,
    crackers (rice or nut crackers make a nice change)
    olives and pickles
    veggies and dips
    fruit kabobs
    baked tortillias (I do either cinnamon or garlic - just brush melted butter on a tortilla wedge and sprinkle with cinnamon or garlic and bake about 8 minutes until just crispy) You can make these ahead of time for the week.

hth
    Karen

3. 3js

3js Approved members

I love this idea! I`m going to try it today. We buy big packages of sprouted grain tortillas- the only whole grain item my son has liked so far.

I take one tortilla, sprinkle with some grated cheddar (a little goes a long way) and roll it up- without folding the ends in. Microwave it for a bit to melt the cheese. Then I slice it into 2 or 3 minirolls after it cools. He eats them room temp at lunch.

Sometimes I make cucumber rolls (sushi rolls).

Tortellini/cheese cube kabobs (just boiled tortellini).

A cheese string and a pepperoni stick with crackers.

A bagel or toast with cream cheese and jam ( I buy Twice the Fruit or ED Simth).

Pizza bagel: pizza sauce from a squeeze bottle, veggie pepperoni, shredded cheese - all melted- send room temp.