- advertisement -

I need a new scale

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My 1450 Salter Scale is in need of being replaced. I heard that the 1450 is going to be discontinued.
    Before I purchase another Salter scale, has anyone found anything better?

2. Lee

Lee Approved members

Lanae,
    The Salter has a 10 year warranty - they have replaced mine twice!

3. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

Can I ask, whats going on with your scales?

We've been having a bit of time with ours.

1. Its getting harder to turn on.
    2. The display has been going dim, even with changing the batteries.

Its well used and loved!

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Lanae,
    Can't comment on scales since the one I have (from Target) isn't made anymore. I will cry when it goes, I like it very much.

It's nice to see you around again! I was on the Alana Marielle site a while back and saw pictures of our Abby's from a few years ago!

5. Lee

Lee Approved members

That is what happened to both of mine. They replaced them - but I did have to do without for a few weeks.

6. MReinhardt

I could do with out the 1450 for a few weeks, as we also have the travel scale, that we use when where in Illinois. Off to call them and see what they say..I'll update when I get an answer.

7. MReinhardt

WOW! Can I say Salter ranks right up there with Acc chek!!

They will be replacing our 1450 scale as well. They did say, once the LCD goes dim, there is nothing that can be done, they have to replace it.

So..off it goes into the mail.

Thank you Salter for your excellent service!! :D

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

They have always been great!

9. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Did you need to have your receipt or proof of purchase date? We are having the same problems with ours, and it turns off right in the middle of weighing sometimes. I know it's less than 2 yrs old, because we bought it after dx, but I'm sure I don't have the receipt.

10. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

I got one from walmart. It has a carb figer-outer on it. I dont use it all that often except for bananas. Ri weighs her milk out I know what 8 oz looks like in just about every cup in the house now so I dont. I do weigh stuff out when its new foods and comes in grams other wise I use measuring cups

11. MReinhardt

Call them anyway, see what they have to say.

Here's the number to Salter 1-866-843-3905

12. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

What it is going to be discontinued? Are they replacing it with a better one?

Lanae it doesn't surprise me that you need a new one. Every time I look at my scale I think of you. LOL!! So that is all the time. :)

13. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

Yes, Salter got bought out by another company and the nutritional scales like the Salter 1450 are no longer being made and that includes the travel version. I have been looking at the
    Eat Smart Scale. Here is are two links that explain the scale. The first is from a person with type 1 Diabetes.
    http://scotts-dblife.blogspot.com/2007/10/product-review-eat-smart-nutrition.html
    The second is from American Diabetes Wholesale which has the scale at a good price not that I am selling the scale. I still have and use the Salter 1450 but it is starting to act up and this looks like a good alternative.
    http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com
    Just put Eat Smart Scale in the search box at the top. It is the scale with the scare clear glass or plastic tray on top, not the round one.

14. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

My buttons are getting fussy. Sometimes they work and sometimes I really gotta push, and of course it skips past the letter I'm needing to enter.
    It's not getting dim- but that's good to know.
    I think I'll get a hold of Salter to send it in but I'm also going to purchase another one just to have for when they're no longer available. I don't know what I'd do without our Salter scale.
    Thanks for the responses!

15. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

This was a very well timed posting Lanea, thanks.
    I am having issues with my scale not wanting to turn on and off as well.
    I will have to call them and see what they say,
    thanks everyone,
    Allene

16. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Ha! We must have all purchased our scales at the same time because the buttons on ours are also very sticky.... Add me to the list of ppl who will be calling them next week!

17. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

I have a hard time turning ours on so I guess I better call as well LOL. Its been almost 2 years!

18. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

:D
    mts and sts

19. TRICIA4

TRICIA4 Approved members

I bought ours at Bed Bath and Beyond, and they will take it back w/out receipt or anything. It's their company policy. I have taken ours back and evenly exchanged it for a new one. A lot easier than going without for a few weeks...