- advertisement -

I need a new camera/anyone got any recommendations

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by fredntan2, Oct 11, 2009.

1. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Got dd a new camera last christmas
    got a good deal on it at the black friday sales
    10 megapixals kodak? small camera. minute I got it from box I dropped the other dd's camera and broke it.

now this one is freezing up.

I really like to take pictures. but sadly since I don't have a good reliable camera Ihavn't been bothering.

I would like a digital SLR. I want to be able to zoom in and out really good.
    want a 8-10 megapixal.

I've seen one at a pawnshop-but I'm not sure. would hate to spend a couple hundred on camera from pawnshop and then it craps out.
    my current camera acts like its fine and then all of a sudden it decides to stop working.

any ideas?
    I want something slightly bigger than the small cameras that are so popular now, but not something too big.

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I have a Sony a200 digital slr. I love it. There is a definite learning curve to it but I enjoy that. It came with a 18-55mm lens which is fine for everyday pics of family etc. It has a modest zoom capability. I recently bought a 75-300mm telephoto lens for taking pics at my kids sporting events when you can't get as close as you want. It's been fabulous for getting the close up shots.

The thing to keep in mind with slr is that one lens is NOT going to meet all your wants/needs in picture taking. So, you need to decide what lens will best suit your needs on a particular outing and be okay with the fact that you might miss some shots. Or bring all your equipment with you, changing lenses as necessary and be prepared that you still might miss some candid spur-of-the-moment shots because the lens on your camera wasn't suitable.

Aside from Sony, Canon and Nikon have really good digital slr cameras ranging from entry level right up to professional grade. The benefit of starting with one of these is that most of the lenses are interchangeable with different camera bodies of the same brand. So, if you started out with an entry level body and eventually upgrade there's a good chance that most of your lense will be compatible.

3. candise

candise Approved members

We love our Canon Rebel. We also have the 75-300 zoom lens- you really need both lens to capture everything. We bought ours at Costco. The new models have around 10mp. Ours is a few years old and has 8mp. I have blown up pictures to 20x30 with good quality.

4. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

I have a Sony digital SLR that I love, but its so big and has so much stuff(lenses, filters and things) that it takes a backpack to carry it all around. I just bought a point and shoot for everyday use. Its a Sony Cybershot w290 12.1 megapixel with a 5x zoom We have one at the school that they use for yearbook stuff or whatever and I really like it. It takes great pictures of sporting events and kids doing different activities and is small enough to stick in a purse and go.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Cyber-sh...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255292964&sr=8-1

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I just bought our third canon.. I LOVE canon.. Its got a huge screen on the back, is 10.5 mega pixals and great optical zoon.. Its usually sitting right next to me, but its not at the moment. Its a Canon IS 100 something LOL.. got it at target for $249.99.. best camera ever..

When we were camera shopping for the camera before this one we were told to go with a company that makes the lens.. if you don't ahve a good quality lens then your picture doesn't come out like it should.. also, you really want a high OPTICAL zoom not a high digital zoom.. with both my zooms I can actually soom up to 50x greater.. we went to the jonas brothers concert and were high in the seats, but my pictures look like we were really close..

6. Rachel Erin

Rachel Erin Approved members

i have a canon powershot sx110 is.
    9 megapixels. i noticed it takes really good pictures when you use the zoom.

but the best brand to buy is a nikon.
    any nikon camera is excellent.

here's my flickr so you can see how the pictures turn out.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25673767@N04/

7. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

I'm partial to the Canon Rebel as well. Anything over 10megapixels is really a waste if your not doing poster sized photos on a regular basis. Over 10 and you'll also increase the likelihood of getting banding issues in your photos. I'll ditto the optical zoom comment as well. Go as high as you can get, then do the rest with a decent lens. Digital zoom gets pretty worthless over x2. You're better off to stay with your optical zoom and simply crop and resize the photo up to the desired size.