- advertisement -

I know you are suppose to enjoy the honeymoon, but....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by yelley, Sep 17, 2010.

1. yelley

yelley Approved members

I don't think it is giving my daughter the understanding of how important the checking, carb counting, etc is when you have D.

She stays pretty much with good numbers so she thinks, "Im fine" (which she is), but I don't want her to think this is how we care for D. I keep telling her things will change and she will have be so on top of this and she needs to start realizing that.

She always says "I know mom", but my fear is that the little bad habits that she may be starting will be hard to break once the honeymoon ends. She thinks D is more of an annoyance because her numbers are always good and when she messes up I tell her to check and of course..... great number....

Not sure if anyone else can relate to this and I know I need to enjoy it while it lasts, but my daughter just thinks.... "oops forgot to check before I walked home from school". Drives me crazy, what if she was low, etc.

Anyway, just needed to vent. Thanks for reading...

2. LenasDad

LenasDad Approved members

I can totally relate. Does your child's school have a nurse? If so, I would arrange it with the school Health Office to have your daughter check in with them at dismissal so they can log her glucose reading. That way she can't forget.

Nagging doesn't work with my daughter so I have to find other ways to get what I want out of her. :D

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I was having this problem with my DS a few months ago. It was right before his june appt. OK, disclaimer--my life is crazy. Sometimes it's a little while into dinner before I remind my DS to check. Sometimes it's 30 min after a meal before he gets his shot. We've been doing better, but these things happen. I'm not saying that it's okay to forget, but we're doing the best we can. Let's not beat ourselves up over the past, but instead focus on doing better next time. She's new to this D stuff...too new to expect her to be perfect at remembering everything.

Back to what I was saying. I started having a hard time getting DS to check his blood because he'd say, "why do I ALWAYS have to check? my numbers are always perfect." Well, they're not always perfect, and how do we know if we dont' check? So every time he had a high number I gently and matter-of-factly reminded him that THIS is why we check...so if he does have a high, we can do something about it. Otherwise we'll never know.

One thing that helped was having a mini "talking to" from his pedi. Sometimes when it's coming from the Dr, instead of mom, it has a bigger impact on the child.

Since his June appt his honeymoon ended (I'm pretty sure), and now he does a lot less grumbling about testing. Sometimes maybe it's just a phase they go through, but keep at it...keep gently reminding and hopefully they'll get over their "testing strike." I think if I were D, I'd go through phases where I didn't want to test, no matter how important I knew it was. That's just life. With kids, you have to know exactly how hard to push; let it go completely, and they will, too. Push too hard, and they'll push back and refuse D care just to spite you. It can be hard to find middle ground.

Maybe you could ask her teacher to remind her to test 5 min before the end of school. If it's just forgetting, a little reminder might help her get into the habit with the new school year, etc. It takes time to remember to do everything every time.

And maybe others will disagree, but forgetting a test once in a while isn't all bad...as long as it's just plain forgetting, not choosing to blow it off. It shows that our life isn't driven by D. It hasn't taken over our life. It lets me know he sees himself as a kid first, diabetic second. I dont' think D should define him, to make him feel that he's a diabetic and nothing else. I think of the honeymoon period as God's gift to D people, to give us a little bit of time to learn everything before it goes all crazy on us.

Good luck! I wish there was more I could to to help, but I think all D kids go through a strike at some point...but it gets better!

4. wilf

wilf Approved members

Quick question - can your DD feel her lows when they are developing? My DD can, and thus can get by with a good bit less testing.

Also, how often are you testing her in a 24 hour period?

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Well....the truth is, what is there to "enjoy" about diabetes? honeymooon, or after? There is nothing to enjoy...rather it is something to contend with at any stage. That said, it does get emotionally easier and it will become more routine as you work through this. Your daughter was dx'd at a more difficullt-to-adjust age. It's never easy. We understand.