- advertisement -

I know I should know the answer but...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by julymoon99, Mar 18, 2008.

1. julymoon99

julymoon99 Approved members

DD had a 58 BG yesterday afternoon. We treated the low BG and when we took her BG before dinner it was in the 180's. Gave her the bolus for dinner with a correction for the BG. Two hours after dinner BG was 81. My question is do you all correct the BG at meal time after a low or just bolus for the carbs? The low was about 1-1/2 hours before dinner. Thanks for your help :)

2. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

In my house I would have corrected too.

3. Momof4gr8kids

Momof4gr8kids Approved members

I would have corrected using the 58 with the carbs from the correction added into the dinner bolus. It really helps prevent the yoyo effect for us. YDMV though....

4. zell828

zell828 Approved members

I would have corrected it at meal time too, UNLESS I knew she had extra activity going on.

5. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

I would have done what you did - treated and then corrected. Unless the low was very close to dinner - within a half hour, then I would have treated and bolused.

6. hrtmom3

hrtmom3 Approved members

Being 1 1/2 hours after the low, I probably would have done just as you did. If it were closer, say like within 30 minutes, I would have tried to correct down to around 130 instead of 100.

7. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

It depends. If the low was explainable, like possibly miscounting carbs or having extra actvity during the time he went low, I would correct it and use normal carb ratio for the next meal.
    If, however, the low was not explainable I would treat it different. Today Jacob had a low after breakfast that made no sense. Carb count, ratio, and activity were all normal. Because of that I am going to assume that for some reason he needs less insulin today (until shown otherwise). Therefore I would STILL correct the high but with a lower correction and I would also back off the carb ratio a bit at the next meal.

8. julymoon99

julymoon99 Approved members

Thanks you all so much for the advice! The low was one that came out of nowhere. She ate a meal that she eats quite frequently. It must have been one of those times that the low cannot be explained. Gotta love it :)