- advertisement -

I know, I know, "YDMV"....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Charlotte'sMom, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

But what's an average Lantus dose (or basal amount) for an average size 5 year old girl?

(I didn't mean to post this in General, so I'm reposting here.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  2. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

My 5 year old is on a total daily dose of 2.5 units of lantus (1.5 units in the morning and 1 unit at night). She's honeymooning, so I'm not sure if she's average. :cwds:

3. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Mine is a teeny 6-year old. She gets 3 units at night. She's not honeymooning though. We skipped that part :(

4. Charlotte'sMom

My almost 4 year old is on 4 1/2 units of basal (pumping). I have a friend who's endo said their 5 year old daughter is insulin resistant and just made a huge jump up to 8 units of lantus (from what, I don't know) and said she might have to go up to 12. That seems like a freakish amount of basal and I'm trying not to be worried. I don't want to question her doctor, but.... sheesh!

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

When Abby was 4 and on MDI, she got 2.5u of lantus. We were still honeymooning at the time.

Now, at age 9, when we go untethered, she gets 12.5u of Levimere

We've come a long way baby:eek:

6. Lisa1001

Lisa1001 Approved members

My 5 (almost 6) year old son gets 5 units at night.

7. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Everybody really is different. To put things into perspective:
    My 13 year old 120 pound son gets 79 units of Levimer a day.
    My almost 15 year old 140 pound son gets 76. There have been times where he was getting almost 25 units more then his brother. It just really depends.

8. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

Riley just turned 10 and takes 25-27 units of levemir

9. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Adam is on Levemir, not Lantus, and he is honeymooning, but he is a 48 lb. 4 year old. :) He's on 3 units of Levemir at night.

10. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

There are a few variables that affect the amounts of insulin a child needs, but the ones that vary most profoundly are metabolism, body weight and whether they're honeymooning.

For a non-honeymooning child, it would be "normal" for them to have a TDD of 0.5 to 1 insulin units per kg body weight per day. 1 kg is 2.2 pounds.
    So taking an average weight for a 4 year old - a 33 pound (15 kg) child would need a TDD of 7.5 to 15 insulin units.

Now basal is normally 40% to 60% of the total amount a child is getting, so at the low end of our example the 33 pound child needing 0.5 IU/kg/day of insulin would have basal needs of 3 to 4.5 units. At the high end of our example the 33 pound child needing 1 IU/kg/day of insulin would have basal needs of 6 to 9 units.

Bottom line after all the math - "normal" for a 4 year old weighing 33 pounds could be anywhere from 3 to 9 units. YDMV! :)

And if weight goes up or down from there, these numbers would shift too. For a 44 pound (20 kg) child "normal" could be anywhere from 4 to 12 units. YDMV! :)

Your friend's daughter is 5, so she'll likely be needing more - even if it seems freakish to you, it could be NBD.

12. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

Tony's not a girl (although his cousins say he talks like one) and he takes 5 units of lantus-not honeymooning. Usually when we do changes with his lantus it is a .5 unit at a time.

13. Charlotte'sMom

Wow, that's a huge range! I had no idea. Thanks for that. That was helpful.

I'll go ahead and keep my mouth shut now :eek:about how high I thought that dose was.

14. Jessica L

ok have to ask cause as much as I try I cant figure out what YDMV means?

your daughter might vary? is all I have come up with lol

15. Jessica L

is the dosing for levemir and lantus WAY different? I thought they were the same. Riley is 75lbs and uses 25-27 units of levemir a night. I always thought she was taking way more insulin that he typical peers but wow a good 10 units more than one on lantus ouch.

16. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Right when she was diagnosed, Abby only weighed 26lbs. Now's she's 65.
    Weight plays a major factor.

17. BKKT10

BKKT10 Approved members

My CWD is on 4 1/2 units of basal (pumping) as well. She's 2.5 years old. It really seems like a pretty large amount (to me, anyways) but her D team isn't worried about it and her basal/bolus ratio is pretty close to 50/50.

18. Mike&Dans.Mom

Mike&Dans.Mom Approved members

Just wait until the kids start to mature :eek: Their insulin needs can increase overnight!

19. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

YDMV = your diabetes may vary

Not everything in diabetes works for everyone.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

When Jack was 5, his basal fluctuated between 8 & 9 units a day. Now at 6, his basal is 11 units a day.

He's always been a big kid, though.