- advertisement -

I just failed my gestational diabetes test

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by joy orz, Feb 3, 2010.

1. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

oh CR:eek:P!

I just went in for my gestational diabetes one hour test. I'm at 27 weeks, so this is a standard test, but I had a bad feeling about it.

Anyway, my ob just told me there was alot of sugar in my urine and I'll have to do the three hour test. I didn't get more info than that because she said there was nothing to do until the results from the three hour test comes back.

I'm just beside myself at the moment. So after a good cry in the car, I came home and tested myself with Ava's meter. 84. That's reassuring, if it had been over 120 I'd have probably had a total nutty and gone into the ER demanding the three hour test right now.

Anyone have any words of advice? I'm really quite upset.

2. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I had GD with Abbey 12 years ago-diagnosed at 28 weeks after a 3 hour GTT.
    Mine was controlled with diet, I checked my BG several times a day. Starting at 36 weeks I had stress tests done weekly, along with weekly sonograms to make sure baby wasn't getting too large for a vag birth. That's what my OB did, I also had other complications that required bedrest even before GD. You will do fine, I was told that 80% of moms with GD develop Type 2 eventually. So far, I have not. You just need to concentrate on what is best for your baby, and best for you.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

If you are going to have GD, there is nothing you can do to prevent it. It just means that your pregnancy is causing you to be insulin resistant. Most can control it with diet. So just relax and take it in stride. I had it with Emma

4. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Part of what I am freaking out about is the idea (unfounded scientifically, just crazy hormonal conspiracy theory) that baby number #2 will have higher risk of developing type one since I had gestational diabetes.

It's nice to hear that you guys both got through it, but then, each of those babies turned out to have type one later.

Gah! Please don't hate me for saying that out loud, I'm truely not myself at the moment. I'm just a total nutter right now.

5. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Well, Beth was GD with our first son Andy... but Alex got diabetes, not Andy or Kira.

6. Leece

Leece Approved members

I failed the test borderline with my first dd and had to redo it. My second dd I fasted a little bit before hand (as in I didn't eat a white bagel sandwich 15min before going) and I didn't have any problems.

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I know quite a few people who have failed the one hour but pasted the three hour with flying colors.. I know its hard, but try not to worry.

8. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I had GD with both pregnancies and it did turn out to be my type 1 masking itself. (My type 1 happened 3 1/2 years after my youngest was born) Just be careful. My doctor had me on a restricted diet for several weeks when I absolutely should have been on insulin. Because of that, Carson was born prematurely with lung problems. With Henry I went on insulin at 20 weeks and by the end was taking massive amounts of it! He was born on time and very healthy.

I don't think it was the GD causing the type 1, but it was very evident later on that it was ME who carried the antibodies and Carson got those genes/autoimmune issues. I do wonder if because his blood sugar was so high for so long in utero, if it made his pancreas burn out even faster, causing him to be diagnosed so early.

Keep us posted. And keep in mind that I had a very wacky/not normal case of GD.

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

YOU are more at risk of developing type 1 than your unborn baby is.

Best of luck to you. Looks like Brenda has first hand experience with this

10. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

I passed my one hour with Cassidy, but failed it with Skylee. Took the 3 hour test and was doing so good by the 2 hour mark they said I was free and clear to go.

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hey I flunked my one hour both pg's and did fine during the 3 hour..both times. Don't sweat it. Everything will be ok. :)

12. Noel

Noel Approved members

Joy, hopefully this will be of some relief to you....with my 1st son Austin, I failed all of the GD tests. Austin had to be rushed to the NICU after delievery b/c his BS was too low....then after feeding him, he was too high.....however that leveled off and he was ok. Released from the NICU back to the regular floor and so far so good, 12 years later. He has been tested and doesn't have any antibodies....

With Aidan, I passed every stinkin' test for GD and they did them quite often and made me test because of how I kept failing them with Austin. When Aidan was born he was fine.....when he was one.....whamooo....type 1. I thought for sure if either of them was going to get d it would have been Austin.

Here's hoping and praying everything turns out ok! Keep us posted....

13. MommyofMany

MommyofMany Approved members

I ended up developing GD with all of my kids EXCEPT my child with Type 1 (strange huh?). I was just dx'd with it for this pregnancy too but I've been through it 6 times before so no big deal I guess. :rolleyes: Trust me, don't worry about it.

14. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

Joy, just relax, If you do have GD, you will be okay. You will take good care of yourself and the baby just as you take such good care of Ava. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

15. etringali

etringali Approved members

I flunked the one hour on all 3 kids. Passed the three hour with the second two.

On a plus side, I came out skinnier after Andy cos i strictly adhered to nutritionist and bg guidelines:) THere's gotta be a bright side to GD, and healthy weight loss is a PLUS in my book :) It all went to andy. He was my biggest at 8lbs7oz 21.5in

16. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Joy -no advice or experience but just a big ole ((HUG)).

17. cindyrn6617

cindyrn6617 Approved members

This is what I was going to tell you too.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

19. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Thanks for all your support. I guess what will be will be. I am going to try to be better with my diet. This go round I've been an atrocious eater. I'm already at the weight I was at the day I delivered Ava, and I still have three months to go. :eek:

I suppose eating chips and peppermint patties for lunch isn't the best choice. :p

The crazy part is that when I was pregnant with Ava, I did everything right. I ate a splendid diet of organic veggies, fruits etc., walked everywhere and did prenatal yoga. Then she was born with allergic collitus all these food allergies, then type one.

Maybe I was subconciously saying "I'm going to eat what I please this time and see how this one comes out. :rolleyes:" Anyway, must get back on track with eating and exercising.

20. selketine

selketine Approved members

I had GD with my first son - who is not the one that developed type 1. I was close to having GD with son #2 but passed my 3 hour - I was careful to watch my eating though - treading lightly with the carbs - just a good balanced diet, etc.

But when I did have GD I tested 4x a day and never had any problems with my blood sugar being out of range - except when I had some sushi rice - a very small amount!

I agree that being GD doesn't mean your kid will have type 1. I think it is more indicative that type 2 is a concern for yourself in the future or your kids, etc. Type 2 is common in my family but William is the only one with type 1.