- advertisement -

I just checked my bg

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mapoe4, Jan 13, 2009.

1. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

I was curious so I checked and I am 76 The only thing I have had is my cup of coffee at 7am with 2 tsp of sugar and 2 coffee flavorings.

2. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

That's a good number! I check myself periodically just to see. Once, I felt "shaky" so I checked and it was 71. Not sure if the "shakes" were due to the lower number or not. Makes me amazed that Andy has had lows in the 40's with NO side effect (at least not any that he shares).

3. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

My dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 and has a heck of a time getting himself to bleed. We were at my parents house and Kylee showed him how easy she can do it, so he tried it again and still nothing. I thought maybe it was his lancet, so I poked myself, bled easily and we figured why waste a good drop of blood, so I checked myself. 101 and that was after drinking a Pepsi.

4. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Yep. Great and normal number for a non-D.

5. Nova

Nova Approved members

I check mine every now and then 1st thing in the morning and get ranges from 70-125.

6. mollgirl

mollgirl Approved members

I have only checked mine once and it was 100 I think.

7. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Pat and I check once in awhile. The lowest I have been is in the 40's and the highest was somewhere in the 170 range. I can tell if my bs is too low ( for me). I get shaky.

8. dvane

dvane Approved members

I checked mine Saturday morning and it was 130 ( that was a fasting #) It made me a little nervous.

9. OneTwinWithJD

OneTwinWithJD Approved members

I started having Hypo spells when I was pregnant with the boys. The first time I had NO clue what was going on. Someone knocked on the door and I was in bed. By the time I walked down the hall to the door I was white as a ghose and literally could NOT lift my arm. My sister was there and she said OMG Crystal what's wrong. I said I have no clue. We first thought my blood pressure and we took it and it was ok. So my husband is a diabetic and said check your sugar. I did and it was 30. It took FOREVER to get it up.
    Its a shame I show more symptoms of a low than Devin does. He has been 35 before and still running and playing like nothing was wrong. And I couldn't even lift my arm...

ANYWAY, My husbands diabetes is controled with diet and exercise right now but we both still check periodically (as well as the other 2 kids). I usually range between 80-90

10. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

It's not at all unusual for someone that doesn't have D to get the shakes even at 76. I'll use myself as an illustration. After I was diagnosed and got on insulin, I would get TERRIBLE insulin reactions (shakes, sweating, etc.) even at relatively higher numbers like 88-90. The reason being my body was used to my BG level being somewhere around 400-500 all the time. So when my BG was "normal" on insulin, the adrenal response was to release glucagon in order to restore me to what my body thought was "normal." Thus I got the shakes and sweats even at 90.