- advertisement -

I hate stomach bugs!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by samheis, Dec 7, 2009.

1. samheis

samheis Approved members

I'm constantly second guessing every decision when he gets a stomach bug.
    This time, he seems fine. He got sick about 2 hours ago, been acting fine since then. BG is 350, trace ketones.
    Usually he's low when he's been throwing up, so I don't know what to do this time!
    Should I give him his normal morning lantus dose, along with a correction using his normal breakfast correction factor?

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Hi Anita, sorry Sam is sick:( hoping it was a passing thing. Did he eat breakfast before the vomiting? did he have something fatty for breakfast? Anything different? Any fever or cold symptoms? Im wondering if he had too much mucus in his throat that made him vomit. Have you called the endo yet for advice? Even after 5 years I get very nervous when Steven vomits as I dont know what carbs he'll be able to take in during the day

3. samheis

samheis Approved members

Thanks Becky. Yeah, he has vomited twice now. only reason I'm guessing it's a bug is because my mom has been sick with one since Friday. She has been soooo sick, I'm praying Sam doesn't get that bad.
    He had a mild case of the swine flu last month, and no flu symptoms this time thank goodness!!
    I did talk to the endo this morning. They always make me laugh when I call, because according to them, I'm the expert lol. Nothing like an illness to make us so called 'pros' suddenly feel like we have no clue what's going on.
    He got sick before breakfast, so no food on board.
    This time around, I'm so confused because instead of fighting lows, I'm dealing with highs. Very different experience so far!!

4. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Steven will often get highs with stomach bugs even if not eating. I think its the stress that does it. Gosh I hope he feels better today:( Do you have some regular ginger ale? you could make that flat, that may settle things down a bit. Regular popsicles are good too for an upset tummy.