- advertisement -

I hate school supply lists!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, Aug 11, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I swear, our school's supply lists are just some random compilation of school supplies and have absolutely no bearing on what the kids will actually use throughout the school year.

Last year, one of my kids "needed" 72 sharpened pencils. 72! That's a new pencil every two days of school - don't they realize that pencils can be sharpened? I was happy to see that the 3rd grade team requested "only" 48. Still a lot, but better than 72.

Every May, the school sends home a note requesting parental permission to donate unused school supplies to needy kids. In addition, they send home supplies that are barely used. Spiral notebooks with 4 pages used - brand new folders that were never used. It makes me crazy!

I'm happy to buy my kids whatever they need for school, but I just don't think the lists have anything to do with what they need!

Just needed to rant somewhere where no one from school will see this! ;)

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

OMG that was my biggest gripe in Elementary School. If each kid buys a dry erase eraser every year where are they all? I'm happy to donate to the class and I do extra but it's so annoying when it's not used.

In 3rd grade art pencils were on the list. A specific brand I could only find at Michaels and they ran something like $25. In speaking with the teacher when school started, she had transferred from another school just before the first day. She had zero idea why they were on the list nor what they'd ever use them for. And if we ever got stuff back. Scissors don't go bad, I can use them again the next year.

I hear ya.

3. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

No kidding... one of my kids had TWO four packs on their school supply list. With 30 students in a class, that's 240 markers a year.. for 180 days of school! It doesn't add up.

We spent well over $150 this year just buying the "required" supplies for 3 kids, and that's not including extra supplies we'll need for band (reeds, etc) and backpacks or anything else not on the lists.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Starting about 3rd grade I just sent her with something to write with, a spiral notebook and a folder. She'd come home from the first day with the actual teacher's actual list and that we'd buy... mostly.

5. mamattorney

What really frustrates me is that our school district is completely changing its teaching structure and next year is the first part of the phase in - instead of one teacher, kids will have a literacy teacher and a STEM teacher and this year literacy will be blended for 4th and 5th grade. Next year, STEM will also be blended and the blending will extend to "Level 2 (aka grade 2 and 3)" and "Level 3 (aka grade 4 and 5)".

So, basically for 2013-14 grade 4 and grade 5 kids will be learning the exact same curriculum for half of every day. It would make sense that their school supply lists would be the same as a result (except for STEM specific supplies, I suppose).

But as it stands - (for example) 5th graders need to have a dictionary and a thesaurus, but 4th graders don't. I checked and they just kept the same school supply lists as last year. So some portion of the class with have some school supplies and the other portion of the class will have different school supplies and yet both groups will have followed the school's required list.

It makes no sense!

6. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Where I taught, we were not allowed to issue supply lists. The theory is that public schooling is free, which means parents should not be compelled to buy any supplies to send their kids to school. Having said that, we were allowed to send out a list of suggestions. I cannot conceive of asking for 72 pencils or for $25 pencil crayons--although I fully believe that some kids are more than capable of running through that many pencils in a year!

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

I will admit that I am a school supply hoarder - I buy notebooks, loose leaf paper, pencils, etc. in bulk when they're super cheap this time of year. So those supplies don't bother me. And I don't necessarily mind buying a box or 2 of tissues or a bottle of hand sanitizer, but when I am given a specific list of a specific type of tissue or hand sanitizer, that's where I draw the line. I also refuse to buy dry erase markers. Back in the day before they used dry erase boards and had chalkboards, did we have to buy chalk for the teacher? No. That's something the school should provide.

8. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I Agree! When I was young we didn't have to buy school supplies until after elementary school. I remember buying stuff for high school classes but that was different. In elementary they gave us crayons, we has a classroom set of scissors, glue, etc. and we used recycled handwriting paper that the school provided. I don't ever remember bringing stuff until middle school or jr high, and then it was MY stuff, not put into community pile.

One year ds had to bring a black binder of a certain size...I figured it had to be black so I searched and ended up paying way too much for it...just to have him bring it home a week later, saying the teacher changed her mind. Grr.

I don't mind buying dry erase markers (my child uses them, not just the teacher) but sometimes there are things I wonder about. S sometimes it seems a little ridiculous how much we have to buy. It gets expensive really quick, especially when you have multiple kids in school. My SIL is a teacher and when she was new, another teacher basically told her to basically put everything on the school supply list--get as much as you can. I don't mind helping out with basic supplies but sometimes the list is overboard.

Here's a little tip. I usually wait to get tissues and hand sanitizer or clorox wipes. They always end up running out halfway through the year (right about cold and flu season of course) so I send those things in later. It spreads out the cost a little bit, and reduces he amount of stuff I have to cram into their backpacks on the first day. :). Plus there isn't room in the classroom for that many boxes of tissues. Especially in my cwd's classroom...I have a special interest in keeping him from getting sick.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I agree.
    At the end of the "back to school season" I pick up spare everything. I've paid .50 for notebooks, pencils etc. I have a box in my basement that I store everything. This year we hardly had to buy anything at all due to my stockpile:D Plus, I had some free time when the girls went to camp and I went through and recycled stuff. I too do not mind buying community supplies such as tissues and cleaner, but do not tell me what to buy. Yes, you can say unscented, but don't tell me which brand! When my kids started 5th, they had to have...and only have...Trapper Keeper 3 inch folios. What a PIA those things were! First, none of the stores around us sold them so we had to order online. Then the stupid thing broke so I had to order another...online. Could not get the same brand. The teacher actually had the balls to call my kid out on it:rolleyes: Ya, she was a gem across the board.
    Don't even get me started on dry erase markers...the school system should be paying for those, not me. I send my kids each with one because there are times when they do use them themselves, but as much as I appreciate the fact that teachers need to shell out a lot of money of their own, the schools need to pull their weight too.

I can see the need for multiple pencils...my kids both are loosing them in the abyss of their lockers or do their homework with one from their pencil case and then put it in the pencil jar at home. LOL, I buy the pre-sharpened ones on sale.
    I also don't understand why 7th graders need crayons, markers and colored pencils. I mean seriously, are they going to be doing that much coloring that they need 3 styles to choose from???
    Oh well, 2 weeks before the chaos begins...

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I really stock up this time of year too, we have a pastic tote with our extra supplies. I don't send all 78 pencils on the first day of school, but then as my kid loses or needs a new one, they get them out of the tote.

Our schools have 10"x10" dry erase boards that the kids use at their desks, mostly for math when they are doing group problems. Otherwise, I can't see why a teacher would need 25 sets of markers and erasers.

11. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I hated the specific brand thing too. And Beach Bum our elementary specifically said NO Trapper Keepers. Ha.

12. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Our supply lists say "NO TRAPPER KEEPERS!" (I thought they must be dangerous or have some gang connotation):p

13. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It could just be that they aren't practical for kids. They just keep shoving and shoving stuff in and then they explode all over the place! Or you get the girl who loved to pick on my kid who took it by the handle, turned it upside down, shook everything out and then said...oops.

14. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I remember in 5th grade I just HAD to have a Trapper Keeper. I loved that thing in all of its Lisa Frank glory. I was super organized with it, but quickly ran out of space. I had a folder and note book in it, color coordinated, for each subject, plus space for pencils and a ruler. I still get warm fuzzies thinking about it. By the end of the school year it was torn to shreds.

15. mamattorney

Oohh . . . trapper keepers. My parents would never buy me one. I had major trapper keeper envy when I was a kid! I didn't even know they were still out there.

Started seeing all these facebook posts of kids going back to school and got panicky so we went out to buy all the supplies today (note to all you hoarders - Staples has one subject spiral notebooks for a penny this week; limit 8;)). Shopping wasn't too bad - store was very organized and the bill didn't give me heart palpatations. We only did a little bit of cheating. We got everything on the list, but my daughter pretended that she didn't see the part that the six folders she needed were supposed to have clasps for 3 holed papers (none of the cute folders had clasps). Oops! I'll buy her clasp folders if they demand them, but chances are, the teachers teaching 5th grade this year had nothing to do with putting together the supply list, so I doubt there is some grand plan for the clasps.

Now there's nothing left for the kids to do than camp out by the mailbox waiting for the teacher letters!

16. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

When I taught 5th grade we used the individual whiteboards a lot. And we went through a lot of markers. Some of the cheap brands didn't last very long.

17. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Our school does school supply packs. The PTA organizes it through an outside company. I pay $35 and it's done. The supplies are waiting at her desk on the first day. I don't have to run all over town or search the internet for the exact type and color of folder, etc. It may cost a bit more, but well worth it. If your school doesn't do this already, I highly suggest you contact the PTA and get it started. We had this back in the early 80's when I was in elementary school as well and it can't be beat.

18. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

Now my non-Type 1 daughter is disabled and in Special Ed. She had a teacher a couple of years ago that had a list that cost about $75 that included a special take home folder that could only be ordered from one place online, four three inch binders in separate colors and two packs of colored copy paper. That teacher left after two years because she had a baby. My daughter is still in that classroom for the fourth year. All of the colored paper is still there and they jsut recently donated all of those binders that cost almost $10 a piece. I only ever got one back. On top of that she had a wish list for the class. On the list was books on tape. My daughter is also blind, so I ordered 4 or 5 of these..not cheap. Are they still in the classroom? NO. She took those with her to use if she starts teaching again I suppose. I do not mind buying anything that will be used, even if my daughter doesn't use it directly, but that list was ridiculous.

19. mamattorney

Our PTA also does the packs. We did it one year, but that was it. It was convenient and as a parent I loved it, but my kids missed the shopping trip and I remember how I always loved going school supply shopping when I was a kid, so I let them skip the kit.

20. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

I did not even know trapper keepers were still around!
    My daughter is starting kindergarten and I was shocked at the length of the school supply list. But I am also kind of excited to go out shopping for stuff. The only thing I refuse to buy is the lysol air freshener. EW.