- advertisement -

I hate OmniPod/Insulet

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Aug 25, 2013.

1. swellman

swellman Approved members

We just had 2 "0.05 remaining failures" from L40428 in 2 days. I replaced the second with a different lot - the last of that lot. I only have 2.5 boxes of L40428 on hand and if I see a 0.05 failure when I have to change that pod there will be a call and a long discussion.

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Grrrr. So I called in late July saying we wouldn't make it to our Sept shipment without running out and needed it to ship early. Was told to call back closer in. Called back middle of August. Was told that I had enough pods even though she'd be putting on the last one on the day they were supposed to ship (which would have been a Sunday so you know they weren't shipping it then). Had to push the guy to say they'd ship them early, he acknowledged right off that insurance would cover up to a two week early shipment.

They said they would ship that Friday - well they didn't of course. Oh wait they meant the next Friday, August 30th. Fine. Get a voice mail on August 30th that they can't ship them out that day it will not be till Tuesday but they will overnight will have the package on Wednesday. Yesterday no package, and of course our fedex often doesn't come till evening so I couldn't call them because the order dept closes at 5 Pacific.

Call this morning. Nope they didn't go out on Tuesday they are scheduled to go out today. Really???? At least the hold times aren't as long. So supposedly they go out today but she couldn't give me a tracking number yet. Our original shipment was scheduled for Sept 8 - so really they're not even shipping anything early by the time I get anything. If I get anything. We've got two pods left. I have some of the old ones as backup but not a lot, I think about 7. I get they're short on product then they need to stop adding customers until they can service the ones they have.

3. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I was wondering when you two would start getting the problem lots. Swellman, were your previous pods from 41- lots like Darryl's? So far, I've only had 40-. No occlusion failures yet, but we've had 3 randoms, 1 failure to prime, and 1 non-retracting needle (tip: if you whack the pod, the needle will retract).

4. swellman

I honestly don't recall the lot number prior but he's wearing the last of the L40245 batch we received previously - I assume the entire shipment was that lot but don't hold that as truth. I can't imagine we got L41... prior to our L40-.

I am not ready at this point to point a finger at a lot problem. However, if I get a few more 40428 problems I am punting the entire shipment.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Definitely something going on with the 404--- lots. It's unfortunate because in our long experience with Insulet they have made a great product, and even the early new pods like our 401--- have been flawless since we started back in May. Hopefully the folks there can figure this out soon.

BTW we called today and started the call with the "alarm 0.05u before the end of the bolus" and they didn't give us any argument. It was good to have learned about that hear. I'm going to email insulet and see if I can get more of a straight answer on what's going on, I think they owe us that if we are applying these pumps to our kid's bodies.

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter is back on Medtronic because last night, she got a PDM error that wiped out everything programmed into the PDM and stopped the pod (only 4 hours old with over 120 units of insulin in it). After being on hold for a long time while listening to "All the advantages of pump therapy and NONE of the issues" over and over, we were told that this is just the design. The problem: The PDM battery went dead. We lost all 7 basal programs, and I didn't have a clue which was the one she was on at the time. If we hadn't been at home, we would have been without a working pump and without a way to know our programmed settings. I can't believe that 1) it doesn't give a warning beyond the little picture that has shown 1/2 battery since about 2 days after putting new batteries in and 2) that it doesn't put up a 24 hour warning alarm like Medtronic. This is a life saving device after all! We've had 3 other times that the battery has gone dead and deactivated the pod but this is the first that we lost everything.

I am so thankful the Pod is not our only pump.

7. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

The regular batteries, or the internal battery?

8. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

The external ones. I'm wondering if the internal battery is dead as well.

9. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We take photos of the PDM settings on our phones so we have them in case something goes wonky and it dies.

Ours are out for delivery, fingers crossed.

10. swellman

Are you saying that you have a lot 404X 0.05U error and did you just receive that lot?

I print out the PDM report from CoPilot. I keep a hard copy of all the settings at school and a PDF version on my iPhone. I also created a SkyDrive account where I keep a PDF version and other nutritional PDFs as well - all accessible from my iPhone.

Other people have reported pod deactivation from changing batteries an, I assume, taking too long. I always glance at the battery indicator every time I bolus because I am paranoid about loosing settings.

11. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Update.

We got our full shipment a few days later, with barely a day left on our last new-style pod... we were just about to revert to our old pod stash. We have been trouble-free ever since. No pod deaths.