- advertisement -

I hate OmniPod/Insulet

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by StacyMM, Aug 25, 2013.

1. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

:mad: Yeah, that about sums it up. :mad:

Now I just want to vent. You can quit reading now (unless you hate dealing with them, too, and want to share in my anger.)

So we had ANOTHER occlusion tonight. DD had been wearing the pod for just over a day and during a bolus, it failed. And you know what's coming next...it had .05 units remaining in the bolus. Again.

I finally get through to Insulet and the rep hangs up on me after asking "Hello? Hello?" a few times. I'm so irritated at them that I totally think they hung up on me. And, yes, I'm sure I'm wrong, but I'm really tired of their phone service.

Second call, someone answers and basically says they will make a note of it. No replacement. Nothing. Because occlusions are preventable. Yep. :mad: Every occlusion is user error. He suggested that I should have attended training...which I had. The pump rep trained us in the endo's office before we put on a single pod. He then said that we shouldn't fill the pod, to which I replied that they shouldn't sell a pod with a false reservoir size and that if they didn't want 213 units in it, they shouldn't allow 213 units to be drawn up and added. He said this wasn't a consistent problem because I don't "have a history of occlusions" which made me laugh. We have nothing but failures. He agreed to send out a replacement as a "one time" thing and that they won't do it again. Because it's my fault they suck, remember? This isn't a known problem to have .05 bolus remaining failures, we aren't doing sites right, and they really do care about their customers. :rolleyes:

I asked when they were going to ship the rest of our order since DD got 10 pods and DS got 0...when each should get 50 per re-order. I reminded him that I had left a voice mail (since no one ever answers) advising them that they had shipped DS a new PDM instead of a pod re-order. No call back. No call back on other failures. No call back on the PDM we sent in for testing in June. Nothing.

Tentative date for DD's T:Slim training is September 6. It can't get here soon enough. I really hope that DS is impressed by it and agrees to change, too. If not, at least we will only have half the calls!

2. ChaosRules

ChaosRules Approved members

That sounds awful! I hate dealing with stuff like that, diabetes related or not. I'm so worked up after phone calls like that! Especially when they're smug and refuse to take any responsibility for the problem. Sometimes eating a bowl of ice cream helps.;)

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

We've been using the pod for 6 years and have had very few occlusions with either the original or new pod. Probably 3 or 4 a year which would be about 1%. Not sure what is causing yours but it might be worth trying some other sites, as the same sites could have the same problem with a different pump.

4. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We rotate sites quite a bit - use both arms, both sides of the stomach and both sides of hips. Once we get out of summer activities, we'll start on thighs again. And DD was on the MM pump for a few years and we rarely had issues. We pinch up, we leave the actual site free of barrier wipes and extra adhesive to make sure nothing interferes, we follow the 'vertical on limbs, horizontal on torso' rules, and the doctor and rep have both reviewed our process. I feel pretty confident about our site changes. Add in the frequency that these exact same issues (.05 left on bolus, for instance) seem to occur for others and I'm also pretty confident that there are bad pods. I think you have had amazing luck with the new pods while we have not.

5. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

I like how you think! I had a big glass of sweet tea and watched HGTV for awhile and it certainly cheered me up!

6. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

Next time try TLC- works even better! :D

7. Mish

Mish Approved members

I guarantee it's not just you. Just because one or two people have no trouble still doesn't make it 'Just you'. Just about EVERY single podding friend I have has had nothing but trouble lately. I'm sorry it's been a struggle. :cwds:

8. Lee

Lee Approved members

I have been reading this as well - trouble with the pods themselves, trouble with Customer Service, and trouble even getting pods. I have no idea how Darryl has been so lucky, but heck - when most of my pod loving friends are having problems with them, it makes me reconsider my considering them as a pump replacement.

Seriously, if they can't even deliver your pods in a timely fashion and you are forced to go on MDI for a few days while they fart around on shipping your order, that is just over the top neglect in my mind.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I had a very brief Omnipod experience, but we went through something like 9 pods in 8 days, so I feel your pain. I have no doubt that it is not your fault. I have to admit that I personally find the pods' "regular" fail rate to be higher than I would probably tolerate, so I'm probably not the most unbiased person to speak to this. But the issues they have been having lately are just inexcusable. I don't care if it is a shipping issue. Their product requires the pods to be shipped. They cannot expect every UPS and FedEx delivery person to handle them as if they are Waterford crystal or something. You should be able to drop a box of pods without rendering them all defective. And like Lee says, if they are unable to supply people with a sufficient number of pods because of their extraordinary defect rate, that is mind-blowing to me. That's no different than Medtronic running out of replacement pumps or something.

They're not there yet, but they're approaching the Abbott Navigator level of fuckedupness in how they're handing all of this.

10. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

We're having a tough time with the new pods. Out of the ~12 we have received, 4 or 5 have failed during a bolus, or just started alarming out of the blue.

If we had a full supply of 3 boxes, then it wouldn't be a problem, but, we don't yet. We're very low on new pods. Fortunately, we have 5 or 6 old pods that we can fall back on!

The old pods appear to be more reliable. We got three days out of the vast majority of them, and pod failures were a distant memory.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend anyone starting the new pod as a primary pump (only as backup) until Insulet gets their act together.

11. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

So sorry you are still having issues :(

Your kids (and you!) are being total troopers to be putting up with this. Especially your poor son. If this had been my first pump experience, the thing would have been thrown out the window a long time ago.

My issues are different because I have to fill 3-5 pods to get one to actually prime so at least I'm not dealing with tons of site changes. About 2 in every box work perfectly and I am just so frustrated trying to figure out what is different about those 2 :confused:

I called our local clinical rep the other day about the fact that I'm about to run out of pods (and no one on the helpline cares) and her genius advice was to just use my medtronic pump or get a prescription for lantus :rolleyes:

12. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

We've had 3 of the first 9 fail - 2 randomly, 1 during priming (pod never clicked, and then it alarmed). I'm still waiting for the rest of our first order, that I placed over 3 weeks ago, which should be here Wednesday. Whoever isn't having issues (yet), good for you.

I will say that I haven't ripped a strip out of the PDM in frustration yet. The new PDM seems to read the strips just fine.

13. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We've had 7 I think out of the first two boxes. The last months worth have been trouble free. We'll be on our last pod when the next shipment is supposed to ship so I called to get it shipped early and the guy literally did not think it was a problem that we'd be on the last one when they shipped. They used to ship two day fedex so you could count on when they would arrive but they switched to the fedex/usps combo before the rollout and it can take a week or more to get them. Plus I'm not confident even with the old pods to cut it that close. Things do happen here and there. Gets knocked off, runs out of insulin early etc.

I guess my solution is to get her prescription changed to every 2 days. Which of course will mean another long hold time to try to get someone to put in the paperwork. Which I'm sure they'll be reluctant to do.

Whomever was in charge of this rollout really didn't think anything through. They have no supply, they're adding a ton of new customers they can't support. It makes no sense. And honest if they'd communicate I at least wouldn't be so annoyed. "Dear Customer, we're ramping up new pod production but we've had a few glitches. We know you want the new pods and we're working to make that happen. New pods will ship on X date" It wouldn't have been all that hard. But then again I'm just a "greedy" (per the CEO) existing customer who wants everything for "free". Oye.

14. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

Ack! I just (almost) convinced my 8 year old DS to go on OmniPod instead of the Animas because of the no tubing and his sports schedule. Now I'm freaking out that we're going to have major issues. This will be his first pump experience.

I hope it gets better quick!

15. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Not sure if it matters but we never have pinched the skin up before inserting, in fact we do the opposite (see below). I wonder if that might make the cannula come out a little when you release the pressure on the skin. In any case it's not necessary and I don't know why they recommend it (if they do).

When attaching the pod we always stretch the skin first. So if inserting on the arm, the arm is extended. If on the lower back, she bends forward. This is because the adhesive can compress but not stretch.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

If you really like the tubeless, then wait a bit and see if it settles down. They have been a pretty reliable company so far.

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Darryl, read around a bit. There are a handful of people who've posted here (and many more on FB) about this particular occlusion alarm that leaves 0.05u un-bolused.

18. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Didn't read all the responses but I can tell you we are having the same exact issues with the occasions with .05 left over. I have called every one of the 12 or more failures we have received and I can tell you that not one of them blamed me...they all asked the usually questions about rotating sites and pinching up but none of them said occlusions were preventable and they "will make note of it"...I think I would have pretty much blown a gasket if I spoke to that customer service rep you had the displeasure of speaking with!! Ask for a supervisor if you ever get a brainiac again.

And they have taken back every one of these occlusions...the reps and the trainer that I am in contact with have acknowledged that this pod failure has been very common with the new pods and they are currently working on a solution.

You have had such bad luck beginning with the pod failures and bad customers service I feel awful for you :( I just want to tell you that you aren't alone with to particular issues and you started on the pods at a very bad time. The old pods were much more reliable but I am sure there was also a breaking in time in the beginning of the company...we started in 2007 when they had been out for a few years already. I'm sure the kinks were worked out at that time.

I also wanted to ask you if the kids have been involved with water, like in the pool or sprinkler. The failures have happened more often when the pod was significantly wet.

19. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

It's not just you. See my post further down. We've been on the pod 3 years. Been using the new ones since April and have very few that have made it 3 days. Most have failed within the first 12 hours. This is from 2 different suppliers. We switched back to the old ones this week for our vacation and they're working beautiful.

20. Lizzy731

Lizzy731 Approved members

Darryl you have been lucky....we have been podding for 6 years and know the proper techniques to insert....never and I mean NEVER have we had such issues with occasions since we started on the new pods. I honestly can't remember but I think we have had at least 12 failures of this particular kind that Stacy describes...it's an issue with the pods that a number of people have been experiencing unfortunately.....or as I look at it, fortunately because I'm sure they can fix it quicker.