- advertisement -

I had my 504 meeting today - - Very Successful!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by McKenna'smom, Mar 29, 2011.

1. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I feel very fortunate to live in a school district with administrators and teachers who are more than willing to help and bend over backwards for my daughter's diabetes care. I have read some very frightening stories about how schools will refuse to even talk about establishing a 504, or won't even provide the most basic of D care at school.

My DD will be going to middle school next year, and as suggested by many on this board, I wanted to establish her 504 plan before she started. With the help of 504 plans submitted to this board, I came up with a plan that worked for my daughter and her school environment. I met today with her principal, health assistants and teachers. With absolutely no concerns, her school adopted my document as being very complete and reasonable. It took all of 20 minutes for me to get a working 504 plan in place. It was a wonderful experience.

My heart goes out to those parents who have to struggle to get this done. Keep pushing for your CWD's rights!

2. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

Hooray!! So glad it went well. I've also been very fortunate with our schools. When I first met with the school principal to discuss it, she asked why I needed the 504 in addition to the health plan. I told her, and that was the end of it - we got right to work on developing the 504. Last year, the school principal actually called me to set up a meeting with himself, the nurse, and dd's teacher to update her 504. After reading all of the nightmare stories on here and elsewhere, I feel that we've been very fortunate, indeed!

3. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

We also live in a school district that is very accommodating to kids with needs. My wife and I had a meeting with Jeremy's teachers at the beginning of the school year and found ourselves answering questions from concerned teachers as opposed to "telling" them what care Jeremy needs during his school day. We do not have a 504 because we have received complete cooperation from the school. In our case, we felt it was unnecessary.

Not once has a question been raised by anyone when Jeremy needed to excuse himself due to a BG check or a low. Not once was there an issue when his pod failed and would not stop beeping.

I wish other school districts would be as tolerant and as accommodating with kids who have special needs, as ours has been.

At the end of the school year, I intend writing a letter to the district administrator and principal letting them know how much we appreciated their policy towards kids with needs and the fact that we felt it was unnecessary to establish a 504.

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

I'm so glad it went well. I have Hanna's meeting in mid April, it has been rescheduled 2x. She has had a medical action plan instead of a 504 at their suggestion since dxs and they have always accomodated every thing I wanted, so I let it be. But I started pushing for a 504 in January and after a bit of runaround, the counselor actually had the nerve to say she didn't think it was "district policy" to have 504s for diabetic students and I laughed at her and said well she is legally entitled if you want to check the law. And so finally I got the meeting scheduled only to be cancelled twice. I told them I have been nice about the first 2x but I would not accept another cancellation.

5. 5kids4me

5kids4me Approved members

Glad it went well! We had no problems with our school either...when we had our meeting, it was an easy process.