- advertisement -

I had a very frustrating moment at school yesterday

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kyleesmom, Nov 5, 2009.

1. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

One of the classes I teach at the high school is health. Yesterday we were discussing the endocrine system, and of course diabetes is part of the unit. I had the typical comments about it being from eating too much sugar, not being able to eat sugar, not knowing the difference between type 1 and type 2 and things like that, but they are high school kids who have never been told any different and thats why we were talking about it. I was telling them about about how a person with type 1 diabetes cares for themselves and got to the part about poking their fingers and giving themselves shots when one boy makes a comment about that being gross. I nicely asked him what was gross about it and he said all the blood and stuff is gross. I explained about how little blood was involved and then continued the discussion and he kept making comments about it being nasty, gross and disgusting and he would just kill himself and he didnt want to be around people that had something like that wrong with them and how he read that insulin pumps dont work and are really dangerous because the needles break off in people. I about lost it. Fortunately another student told him how wrong he was being(his words were "Dude, your stupid") and that people cant help when they have something wrong and how would he feel if people didnt want to be around him because of something he couldnt control. The first kid continued to say how gross it was, especially when it was little kids and how it could be fixed if people would just take better care of their kids, which was when I calmly(yes, really) told him my daughter was diagnosed at 10(2 years ago today :( )and I was pretty sure I knew how the disease and its treatments worked, that there is no cure at this time and it has nothing to do with not taking care of my child, so if he had nothing positive or constructive to add to the discussion, he needed to keep it to himself. He didnt say much after that other than some comment about fat people and diabetes under his breath. I told them all about the different types of pumps, the CGMs and had some really good questions from a few kids, most of them were interested in what I was saying and really listened.

2. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Sorry you had to deal with that but you were remarkably calm, in my opinion.

Sadly, I think this is one of those apple not falling far from the tree cases. :rolleyes:

3. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

He is going to grow up a very old and very lonely old man with an attitude like that.

You handled it great...

4. etringali

etringali Approved members

Make the obnoxious kids do a speacial project detailing the differences between t1 & T2, their causes and treatments.... , make it a large portion of his grade....

ok, so that wouldn't be fair, but the thought of MR "That's so gross" potentially failing because of his ignorance had to tug a small smile from you....

Actually, having the whole class do a paper like that would be a really good way for them to learn about D......

5. kyleesmom

kyleesmom Approved members

You have no idea how many "punishments" went through my head.

They did ask if Kylee could come in and talk to them and show them all of her stuff. She cant do it with this group, they will be doing CPR next week and our trimester ends after that and I will get a whole new group, but I think I may have her come in next time. The kids said they would like something like that and that it would mean more than reading about it.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

good job!!!
    I would have said---Mr gross boy, you've earned yourself the right to be the guinea pig---we are going to test your blood, give you a coke, then poke you again. We are going to see first hand what the endocrine system does. You could have your dd there too so they can see how insulin works, but not as good as the pancreas.
    Yep, sure am dreaming. Don't even want to think of what trouble you'd be in for doing that.:rolleyes:

7. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy Approved members

It sounds like you conducted yourself in a very professional manner. This poor "dude" sounds like he has the maturity level of a first grader.(sorry to all first graders):eek:
    You were able to enlighten your class about diabetes and hopefully some will remember and take that into the remainder of their life. One day with the diagnosis hits one of them...the "light" will come on and they will remember what you taught them.
    Good for you..Gold star for sure. :)

8. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Reese is in 1st grade and is one of two type1s in his class. I can attest that first graders are MORE mature (and compassionate) than this "dude". He has obviously been taught bigotry from his parents and he will live a pretty sad life if he doesn't figure it out eventually.

good job on how you handled him.

9. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I am going to respectfully take exception to your comment that he is "obviously" being taught "bigotry" from his parents. Not so "obviously" because by the time kids get to high school they are very peer oriented. And they have their own, often erroneous and/or stupid thoughts on things.

When Ryan comes home telling me a racial "joke"...I talk to him about it, correct him, tell him how offensive it is. But if someone overheard him telling that joke when I wasn't around, is it "obviously" because I am bigoted? No. Most of us were ignorant when our children were diagnosed with diabetes. Why do we expect people not touched by the disease to understand it? My experience with teenage boys is that they are opinionated, think they know "everything," and will argue any point to prove they are "right." Even when they aren't. That is not necessarily a reflection on their parents. It could be. But not "obviously."

10. heamwdevine

heamwdevine Approved members

this is a great idea!! it would be a real learning experience for them. (i would just have everyone do it though ;) )

11. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Ok, the "dude"" displayed the behavior of a bigot, and it may or may not be his parent's fault. Didn't mean to blame it all on his parents...but that is where my thoughts tend to lean when I hear of a teen acting this way.