- advertisement -

I guess I'm still grieving

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by kgerrick, Aug 30, 2011.

1. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

I wish I could take it (d) away from her. Even though she is doing very well I just wish I could just take it away. I am very lucky in that my dd is really doing very well with all of this and I am grateful for that. We have are next endo appt. this Sept. and we will see her first A1C that will show the last 3 months since diagnosis. I really really don't think about the long term complications of this disease on a daily basis. It's just that every now and then it pops into my head that long term complications are a real possiblity and then I feel sad until I push it out of my head. I guess it is a parent thing. We all just want our children to be happy and healthy all the days of their lives. Thanks for listening.

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Don't feel bad about grieving. There are a lot of things that could happen to our children and to have something be a little more likely is sad.

3. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I have days like that too, and it's just about a year into it for us.

You're okay to worry (you're a parent!) but if it helps, I can tell you that those days are already fewer and farther between for me.

My understanding is that long term complications are more a result of long term bad numbers...not just days or a couple weeks of bad numbers, but more ongoing than that. With the customized and improved care available to us, our kids shouldn't face most of the problems of diabetics in the past.

All we can do is the best we can do. Stay focused on how much we've already learned, how well things are going now, and train the kids to be confident in their care so we know they can handle it when they grow up and go off to school and start their lives.

Hugs to you in the meantime :)

4. kgerrick

Thank you Amy and Jane!

5. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Its still new for me and my DD too and I also have days like this from time to time. Right now I am in a good place with D (as much as I can be) This Saturday is my DD 2 Birthday Im so excited to make her a cake and watch her enjoy it! Im also just so happy she is here with me, that I can take care of her, that she has a good team of doctors, the medicine that she needs is available, and that she is happy! I hope you start feeling better soon!

6. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

It comes in waves and probably always will to some extent.

7. kgerrick

Happy Birthday to your daughter! Thanks for the encouragement! I know I'll feel better it really helps me to express my feelings here with all of you who really know how I feel! I just wrote you message so it is funny to see you left me a post here!! Glad to hear you're doing good!!

8. kgerrick

It really helps to vent on here with all of you who understand! I believe you are right that it probably always will be that way because we are mothers! Thanks!

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

We're almost 3 years in, and I could have written most of your post myself word for word. Probably all of us could have. You'll always wish you could take it away, and the worry of complications will always be there and be pushed away. But things will continue to get less intense as the days go by...including your emotions. As mentioned, things do come back in waves, where it can feel overwhelming again...but it does pass.

If it helps at all, my niece, who is now in her late 20s, has had D since she was 2 years old. She has no long-term complications at all, was only in the hospital once or twice for D-related issues since dx, and has 2 healthy and happy little ones running around now. There are countless other success stories out there...just know that your daughter will be one of them, too!

Good luck with the A1c. Don't get too caught up in the numbers while you are still adjusting to this. Only practice makes perfect (well, never really perfect with D, maybe just competent!;):))

10. kgerrick

Thank you Julie! That's wonderful that your niece is doing so well, thanks for sharing her story with me. Very positive! I'm doing better today! :) It does come in waves...the ebb and flow of life. Some days the negatives of this disease come into my thoughts and all of you here really help push them out!

11. spamid

spamid Approved members

6 years here, and we have bad days too. This is a huge change in life, and its okay to have bad days. The important thing is our kids are not letting this stop them. (HUGS)

12. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

Oh boy do I k now how you feel. its will be 6 years this sept 9. I was just thinking my mastectomy scheduled for the sept 8, thurs. I do remember the feelings you are feeling. and am feeling them again myself now. I can't listen to certain songs on radio. sometimes I get teary eyed in public, kind of hate seeing happy people now, kwim?

its a process, we'll get through it:cwds:

13. kgerrick

You are soooo right! Thank goodness they are doing better the we are sometimes! I am so proud of my dd and that is one blessing that came out of this, seeing my daughter in a new light! There are things I know about her now that most parents don't get to experience and these are things that make me swell with pride! (((hugs))) to you too!!

14. kgerrick

I feel ya! Some songs really get me. I love the song "I hope you dance" by Leanne Womack and I heard it just the other day and the first thought I had was of my daughter! But with everyone here as a super support system I feel blessed to be able to come on here and write what I am feeling and get supportive feed back. I am so happy about that it helps so very much!! I wish that someday we could all get together and have a party!! You are going to do wonderful with this surgery, I just know it! :)

15. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

Kristen,

My sister was dx with D when she was about 21, she is now 45, happy and healthy! Has had a few non-D issues, but she is doing VERY well! (At times, I need to keep reminding MYSELF of this, too!) ;)

Take care!

Kathy