- advertisement -

I got my 530g today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by funnygrl, Oct 18, 2013.

1. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

My 530g came today! It got here pretty quickly once all the insurance approvals and such went through. I've been holding off on getting a pump for so long I've forgotten how nice it is to have a pump without cracks and scratches everywhere. Yeah, we'll see how long that lasts.

I just inserted my first Enlite and am waiting for the first calibration to be due (and I'm starved, so please hurry!). I'm doing a little experiment with my 523 and put a Sof Sensor in my other thigh (Enlite is in the opposite one) and am going to compare Sof Sensor w/ 523 to Enlite w/ 530g for 6 days. I'll be more than happy to share results if anyone is curious. I might do Enlite w/ 530g and 523 for 6 days afterward out of curiosity since rumor has it Enlites will work (though less accurately) with the 523 as well. It's already been interesting seeing how different the Isigs are, though this was never a value I understood well.

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how was the insertion of the Elite? Ease of insertion and did it hurt?

I got to see the sof sensor and Elite recently and they looked so different from the Harpoon that I have engraved in my mind that wrote me off of them and pushed me to Dexcom.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Good Luck with the shiny new pump. I hope you love it!

4. funnygrl

The insertion with the Enlite was much less intimidating than the sof sensor because you really do never see a needle. Even when you take the needle out, it's automatically shielded and you just end up with a piece of plastic (with the needle inside). Pain wise, with this particular insertion I think I got a really good spot with the sof sensor and a nervier spot with the Enlite, because the Enlite hurt more. The whole insertion process is much different with the Enlite than the Sof Sensor. I actually had to read the directions.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I will be interested to hear what you think!

Any changes to the 530g other than the low suspend?

6. funnygrl

Not much that I can see. There's a green ring around the ACT button instead of black. The clip is came with was clear instead of black. There is only one clip. My other Paradigms came with a clip and a slide in case made of plastic. In the Utilities menu under "Connect Devices" there is an option "PC Connect" that isn't on my 523. Clicking this you get, "Your pump is now ready to receive changes. ESC to Cancel." I haven't figured out what this is for yet. I'm guessing you can program is through the computer like back in the Paradigm Pal days?

Interestingly, in the status menu the pump is called the Paradigm 551.

7. funnygrl

Found mention of the PC Connect "feature" in the user's guide:

Maybe new software pending FDA approval?

8. hawkeyegirl

That would be neat. I know on the Cozmo, you could make changes to pump settings on the computer and then beam them to the pump. Sounds like maybe this is similar?

9. Mish

Mish Approved members

My last 2 Revels (Sept and this week . It's been a bad month) have had the PC connect function on them as well. No idea what it does, but I can only guess it's going to be like the old Cozmo where you could upload. I loved that feature.

10. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Will look forward to your experience! I am excited to hear how the new medtronic system is hopefully better.

11. funnygrl

So far the 523 seems more on. This is disappointing. Made the mistake of taking Tylenol last night so the 530g was 200-300 all night, while the 523 didn't seem too badly affected.

12. hawkeyegirl

Wait, the new sensors are affected by Tylenol???

13. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

well if this turns out to be the case they sell both the old sensors and new sensors in Canada - so probably the same in the US. I guess it is just a question of if the old sensors work with the 530g/ the veo

ps does anyone know if the veo is the same as the 530g ?

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I don't know the answer to this question, but technically the vast majority of substrates used for glucose readings (blood, interstitial fluid) react to some degree with Tylenol.

* http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/30/2/403.long

(ctrl + f -- "acetaminophen")

FYI, I just found out that a treatment that I receive for autoimmune disease, intravenous immunoglobulin, causes an overestimation in blood glucose values in some cases, and an FDA warning has been issued in the past over this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  15. moco89

moco89 Approved members

This is from the Medtronic Paradigm 530g User Guide, page 27

Taking medications with acetaminophen while wearing the sensor may falsely raise your sensor glucose readings. The level of inaccuracy depends on the amount of acetaminophen active in your body and may be different for each person. Always use BG meter readings to verify your glucose level before making therapy decisions.

16. hawkeyegirl

Well, there goes one of their advantages over Dexcom, lol.

17. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

It may be different for everyone but I have had no issues with tylenol with the new dex. With the 7+ it was a total mess for 4-6 hours but I have taken tylenol twice in the past few weeks (once by accident and second to experiment) and there was no impact on the g4 readings.

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Did you have training on the new Enlites? I get my box of Enlites today.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I?d be interested in a test of the old sensors with the new pump. They still sell both varieties of sensors in Canada with the old variety being cheaper

It will be interesting to see how the dexcom sensors compare price wise

20. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

What we have seen with the enlites on the 523 is that it is more accurate faster than the soft sensor, by that I mean that it picks up faster than the soft sensor with the guardian, compared with the enlite our daughter is wearing with the 523. I would say accuracy is better too.

Insersion was MUCH better with the enlites as we have always had to use emla cream with the soft sensor and did not use any with the enlite and she did not even notice.

Once our 530 gets here I will compare the two again head to head