- advertisement -

I forgot to spray Cortaid....YIKES...hives!!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mom2cjh, Feb 15, 2011.

1. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

So some of you know the routine we go through for putting on a pod. Alcohol, Cortaid spray, Cavilon wipe, Tegaderm HP, then pod....I could do this in my sleep...or atleast I thought. The other night, while I apparently wasn't paying full attention, I skipped the Cortaid spray. Within an hour, Cameron was restless going to bed and complaining that his pod itched. Because I didn't want him complaining (I feel bad using that word...but it is what it is...especially when he needed to be asleep an hour ago) I told him to take the pod off and I would change it. Hives, red, itchy all over his butt in the area of the pod. :eek: We both then realized that I had never sprayed the Cortaid. Amazing what a little Cortaid does and prevents. So I won the "worst parent award" that night. Still this morning...2 days later...it is raised and red...although not itching...thank godness. When I looked at it again...he said with a smirk..."That's what you get for not using the spray!"...I guess I'm forgiven:)

2. roo'smom

roo'smom Approved members

Sorry to say it, but I'm "glad" you forgot the spray and posted here. I'm going to give your routine a try - we really like the pod, but after a couple hours dd would complain that it was itching, and when we took it off we would have a nasty, red, raised rash. We tried all of the barrier wipes, and Tegaderm, but not the Cortaid spray. And, by the way, you definitely don't win worst mom award - the worst mom wouldn't bother to care about it ;)

3. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

The cortaid spray has helped tremendously...as you can tell. Alcohol, then the cortaid spray (not cream), then Cavilon wipe, then Tegaderm HP (b/c others just fall off with pod...especially when swimming) then pod. We have approved a 2 day change and his sites are really good. I posted a long time ago but through allergy testing he is allergic to colophony "Rosin" which is used to make things sticky in adhesive. It is in most barrier wipes...especially SkinTac...but Cavilon seems OK, it must be in the pod adhesive b/c that is where the problem started although he would probably have the same reaction to other sites with other pumps. Now I do know that the Cortaid step is absolutely necessary. It is terrible to see their skin and know how much itching can drive you crazy...they already deal with so much. Hope it helps...Good luck.

4. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

We've all forgotten something like that, so you don't get the worst parent award. Ask me how many times I forgot to prime the Sure T and had to start over with a whole new site and needle stick. Sorry you have to deal with the hives though.

I'm glad to hear of the cortaid spray too. I might pick up a bottle. We are new to the pod and so far so good, but DD has kind of sensitive skin.

5. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

[I'm glad to hear of the cortaid spray too. I might pick up a bottle. We are new to the pod and so far so good, but DD has kind of sensitive skin.[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea...if you start to see any problems with redness and itching. We had no allergy issues until 6 months after starting....but we have found ways to make it work. Good luck with the pod!!!:)

6. JenniferM

JenniferM Approved members

I am so glad you shared your experience. We seem to be having a reaction to the Dexcom adhesive. I am going to try the cortaid. I am hoping that will take care of it.

Jennifer

7. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Hope it works...can't hurt to try.

8. JacksonsMom

JacksonsMom Approved members

Well at least some good came out of your mistake, it looks like a lot of people gained some knowledge and a really useful tip! We all do those things, such as give short acting instead of long acting, :eek: or forget the lantus shot:eek: it happens to the best of us. You are definately not a bad Mom!!!

9. mom2cjh

mom2cjh Approved members

Hopefully Cortaid will be the trick for others!!! Yes...those moments do happen to the best of us...like breaking the last bottle of fast acting insulin at nighttime...thank godness for 24 hr pharmacies....and learning from your mistakes and never having one bottle of insulin in the refrigerator!!! It definitely is a continuing learning process:)

10. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Can I ask a dumb question? I tried the spray this morning, and then followed with a skin prep wipe. I kind of felt like the wipe was removing the cortaid spray though. Is there a trick to this? Maybe I didn't let the cortaid dry long enough.

11. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Does insurance cover Cortaid for your DS ? Because if they do not you might want to try spraying on flovent (which is a corticosteroid puffer) this might be covered by insurance and work out cheaper for you.:)