- advertisement -

I forgot to refridgerate my insulin-HELP

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by valerie k, May 7, 2011.

1. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

I bought a bottle of humalog 70/30 for the dog on thursday, and just remembered, I left it in my purse. Will it still be OK? Or does it need to be refridged all the time? I have in the past. Or do I chuck it and my 25.00 down the trash? :(

Its still sealed.

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

It should be fine unrefrigerated for a month, but even if you put it in the fridge now, you apparently shouldn't use it after the month is out. I'm not sure why that is. From what I know about protein degradation, it would make more sense to say that you could refrigerate it for the usual length of time and then use it for a month minus the days you kept it unrefrigerated earlier... But if you want to be safe you should probably follow the 1 month rule.

3. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

I read an article that said that they conducted an experiment where someone kept an unopened vial of insulin in their shirt pocket for months and it still worked. Clear insulin should not be used if it goes cloudy.

Do you check your dogs sugar levels. You will know if it goes off if he goes high.

4. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

I have no idea on the insulin, but I wanted to extend a note with kudos for taking care of T1D on you fur friend. I knew dogs could get T2D....I had no idea they could also get T1D. It is an incredible commitment to have to tAke care of a pet this way....good luck.