- advertisement -

I feel like I'm losing an old friend

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Debdebdebby13, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I got new test strips for the Freestyle Lite because of DD's new Omnipod. We have been using an Accuchek Aviva since Molly's diagnosis and now I have retired it to the drawer and I feel a little sad and nostalgic. I think I might be a little odd ;-p

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Nope not at all!

it is so hard to get rid of something close!

I can not imagine it.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

You should NOT be using Freestyle Lite test strips with the Omnipod PDM. Here is the link to their website for further information (note the small print at the bottom regarding Freestyle Lite test strips). http://www.myomnipod.com/test-strip-update/

4. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

I LOVE the Aviva. It uses just a little blood, the strips are nice and fat and fit right in so snuggly, and they have sticker skins for the meter in all kinds of designs for just a few bucks. But we were using the meter that comes with the revel for the wireless transmissions of bg. Alas. . . it uses tons of blood and the strips stick together and don't fit snuggly and you think it's in all the way and it's not. it stinks. Now we're podding and it doesn't have as good a feel but it only uses a teeny weny bit of blood so that's good. I totally get how you could be sad to get rid of your old trusted supplies.

5. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Ditto. Don't pack up that Aviva yet.

6. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

Our daughter begins pumping w/Omnipod in a week, and I've been testing the PDM meter against her AccuCheck. The PDM has been 7-10 points lower than the AccuCheck each time we've compared. She LOVES the small blood sample on the PDM, and I love the idea of one less thing to carry around, but I'm not sure about the accuracy.

Anyone adjust their settings on the PDM to compensate?

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

It would be very tough for me to give up our Aviva. Very tough. The other meter would have to have some sort of exceptional features and accuracy.

8. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

We started about a month ago on the OmniPod. Our PDM was reading way lower than our Aviva. I had ds do several comparison checks. It read almost 20 pts lower than all the others. (I have 5 meters I was using for the comparison.) I didn't feel comfortable at all using it, and they sent me a new one. They also sent all the packaging to send the other one back for it to be tested. Our new PDM still reads lower, but not as bad.

9. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

Jared's PDM was reading about 20 points lower than any other meter when I called omnipod they acted like it was an isolated incident but I have seen others post about this as well. They sent us a new pdm which still reads lower but isn't as bad. We noticed this when we started using the butterfly strips.

10. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

I've been reading on another D board and people over there say to change the code, both 17 and 12 tend to run more accurately than the code 16 that all of the boxes say.

I will order regular freestyle strips, but I have a Freestyle Lite meter so that is what I have been using since I don't want to lug around the PDM just to check BG (and I have 300 strips to use!) Thanks for all the concern.

As far as the Aviva I don't know if it runs "right on" and the freestyle runs lower, or if the Aviva runs high and the freestyle is right on...

11. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Isn't it funny? Insurance has just made us switch from the Freestyle Lite to the Aviva, and even a month in, I am still miserable! I was all set to go to battle with the insurance company when I realized how silly I was being, but I really miss it, especially at night.

And, yes, our stand-alone Freestyle Lites have also been consistently lower than the Aviva, but generally within acceptable limits.

12. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

Gosh I love the light on the PDM too.

But wouldn't a difference of 10 points, ongoing, make a pretty big difference? I'm not sure how to do the math, but just going off of an A1C calculator, the difference between 140 and 150 is .35: 6.5 and 6.85 respectivly.

Would it be safe to use the PDM but adjust settings to mirror the average discrepancy?

13. buckmarko

buckmarko Approved members

"I've been reading on another D board and people over there say to change the code, both 17 and 12 tend to run more accurately than the code 16 that all of the boxes say."

I don't get this? Do you put either code in? How does it read it more accurately? Sorry for the confusion!:confused:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  14. momofone

momofone Approved members

When I checked our PDM with control solution it read right at the bottom of the tolerance at 4.6.

15. swellman

swellman Approved members

I've got a mess here at the house. I have a ton of meters and they're not agreeing. I'm getting some Aviva strips tomorrow and doing an extensive side-by-side. Our new one is low too - the old one that failed was spot on.