- advertisement -

I feel like I need a firehose...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by toohughey, Sep 16, 2011.

1. toohughey

toohughey Approved members

to give my DD insulin lately. We just switched to the ping and the smaller reservoir is becoming a problem. She is hitting around 80-100 units for her TDD and I am sick of her running out of insulin. Wonder if they will ever figure out to make a bigger reservoir?

Just venting and I knew it would be an issue. I am thinking of covering some of her needs with Lantus and just tweaking her basil needs and meals with the pump. Anyone else do it that way?

2. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

Many people find that some lantus smooths things out a bit. Also you could just change the resevoir without doing a site or tubing change. Make sure you prime out any bubbles.

3. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

I hear you--hopefully the pump manufacturers are listening!!!

Why is it that only MM has a 300 unit resevoir choice?

The Cozmo pump had a 300 unit cartridge!

Why are the other pump companies not providing 300 unit cartridges? Size of the pump? Having enough insulin for over 48 hours is more important to me than sizing.

L did not want to supplement with Lantus or Levemir and neither did I--so MM had to be our choice for the 300 unit resevoir.

4. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

We did very well with Lantus when we pumped. We also used much less Lantus than we had used pump basal.

5. toohughey

I am looking at our Cosmo on the table and we are so tempted to just get it back out and use it. We do just swap out the cartridge and reuse the tubing and site--or we would run out!!

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Heck, my kid is 7 and some weeks the 180 unit reservoir barely lasts US three days. (His TDD is usually in the 30s, but sometimes in the 40s, and when you add in priming, and insulin that you throw away in the reservoir and tubing, and the fact that you can't actually PUT 180 units in there, it's close!) Our warranty is up in April, and the 300 unit reservoir option may well keep us with MM even though I'm very interested in the Pod.

7. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Accu Chek combo has a 315 unit cartridge as does the Dana range of pumps - both available in NZ (Omnipod and Ping aren't) .. :cwds:

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

What irritates me is that that "200u" is really not even close... I think my pump reads 204u after a full rewind, but as soon as I put the cartridge in and "load" it's down to like 189-192 or so. After priming it's in the low 180's.

That said, I made it through a pregnancy where my TDD was about 140u/day with a MM512, and I was basically refilling the insulin every day, and I left my sites in for the normal 3.

It's been pretty rare for me lately that I change out my pump cartridge and site at the same time.. I've had a lot of random site losses lately (usually due to adhesion issues) and I try to get as much "life" out of my sites as I can, so unless it's already been 3 days when I change out the insulin, I'll just leave the site in.

9. LJM

LJM Approved members

We are changing cartridges when they are down and then rotating sites every 3 days. Cartridges when needed. It is hard to judge at times whether to send them to school with X amount of units and will it be enough. Puberty is hard and a 300 unit cartridge would be a nice option....

10. toohughey

So we went to the CDE and DDs basil rate is now 2.3/hour!! Hormones are my enemy right now. I hope this rate goes down soon. Some days she was going through 115 units!

Where is that firehose!